With the imminent introduction of tradable fuel caches, which will probably only be purchasable with real money, it is time to add in a tradable DMU as well. If fuel caches will be traded, why not a DMU cache?
Simply, a new item called the 'DMU cache' would be purchasable for $30. This box would be freely tradable. If a player opens the box, they receive the DMU. The DMU cannot be put back into a box, and the DMU itself cannot ever be traded. Only the box would be tradable.
- Allows players to purchase the DMU for others, especially those without Paypal/Credit Card, or those in a country where $30 USD is actually one month's rent/mortgage payment
- Gives F2P players something to work towards
- Slightly levels the playing field; adds in a slight extra number of DMUs, but only for the most devoted F2Pers; slightly reduces the monopoly of uniques being held by daily DMU farmers
- Induces participation from all players, not just catering to the 'wealthy elite', since free players also have the potential to earn this item
- Helps increase alliance participation without worrying about undefended compounds
- Limits new players' impression of the game having a 'pay-to-win' structure, which keeps them in the game longer by keeping them motivated, perhaps long enough to spend money and add to the well-being of the playerbase
- Allows real money spenders to support the game and purchase this item for trade equity
- Allows free players to purchase this item from real-money spenders, thereby benefiting all parties
- Decreases in direct fuel pack sales will be directly proportional to the number of tradable DMUs purchased
- Con loses no money as these can only enter the game via real-money purchase; it may yield a better long-term outcome
- This isn't a gimmie, it would be very difficult and time-consuming to obtain, depending on its trade valuation, which I imagine could be very high, which takes virtually nothing away from current DMU users
- Acts as an extra item used for trade, thereby stimulating the economy
Con has stated in his 'ask Con anything' section that the option of a DMU equivalent without real money is open.
Con has also stated:
We have quite a few of our top raiders who have never spent a cent. It's just time investment, if you don't have time, you invest money. That's just how it works.
This isn't a casual game or one that is heavily skill based, so expect to make a sacrifice in either one of those areas to be able to compete at the top level.
This quote further reinforces the idea of time investment. If a free player wishes to commit to the game and gather whatever is needed to get that tradable DMU, they aren't forced to pay money to compete.
Please post and/or upvote/downvote to show your voice/support/lack of support/criticism as it may help Con implement something similar to this, and he'd have a better understanding of what people like based on player feedback.
Thoughts, ideas, and criticism are always welcome. If anything is unclear, please say so.
Edited by Noob, 22 January 2015 - 10:46 PM.