Why Do You Raid?

Raiding

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

DZplayer

DZplayer
  • 368 posts

LVL 43 ARMORGAMES

I’ve been reading the opinions people give in the other thread, first, I felt kinda left out, because it’s all reasons why people don’t raid, then I got kinda depressed because everyone seems to be bashing the one aspect of the game that I absolutely love.

So… I’m going to start our own thread for raiders to talk about why they love raiding. :)

I have played this game for over 1 year, and have been in raiding alliances the whole time. I even started my own alliance and it has grown into a top 3 raiding alliance in the AG/FB server. I love raiding because of the challenge it presents. It’s something to face a defense that was designed by another person and its always changing and feels fresh for each new base I raid, unlike the repetitive feel of the PvE part of the game.

I also enjoy the excitement of competing in the alliance wars. We have had some close and exciting wars with back and forth lead changes and developed rivalries with other alliances over the months (mostly friendly ones). We have collected and brought together a great bunch of people who all love to raid and have become good friends which keeps the alli chat active.

I also enjoy the reputation I have as a raider and feel pride when my alliance places in the top 3 of the wars.

Ivan

Ivan
  • 571 posts

Ah well,why not :)

5,11,30,40 and 37,50 non raiding on Kongregate.

Wont go through all the reasons.

I do it for my alliance as i do it in all MMOs i have played so far. Its all about friends,people.

I have a great incentive to loot or trade too in order to find weapons and gear that i need to do it..if no raiding i would probably be long gone by now.

Feel that raiding is the only part of the game that offers some sense of achievement especially through joint effort of an alliance.

Also working your way from scratch to being an accomplished war raider is probably a unique experience which wasnt there at the beginning when everybody was starting from scratch :)

It wasnt easy all the way,but the road that is difficult is my view of challenge,and challenge in any game means fun to me.

Buue

Buue
  • 657 posts
Well, for me, I think it is fun and challenging, but is difficult at times. I actually quit raiding for a while cause I kept on having my compound trashed and it took forever to rebuild watchtowers, and went with a pillow defense and survived a while with that, even with a bounty on me a week probably? Then I decided to join AoR for a while, then returned to corner defense, and defended some raids, and got more confident. But I found many flaws by myself through raiding practice and moved to a corner defense. I may soon start raiding against corner and corner parking lot defenses, since i think I will encounter those the most soon.

Buue

Buue
  • 657 posts

Then I decided to join AoR for a while...

I got kick soon after cause I spent too little time on war and too much time gathering resources for watchtowers :/

T_J

T_J
  • 481 posts

Two level 50 accounts on AG

Over both accounts I might have about 1000 raids(About 750 war raids). I stopped raiding for a few months but started back up again for the war boxes. Raiding is pretty boring to me though. The War Boxes are ok, but I am losing interest in them. 

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

Not everything is about you, gosh! :P

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

But seriously, love the feedback, keep it coming!

Noob

Noob
  • 144 posts

Well, I stopped raiding literally last week. I was constantly raiding up until then. I only raided fuel from people's generators, as I'm a F2P player and needed the fuel early on to buy UCS -50% and other fuel-currency things.

Basically, if I answered one week ago, the reason I raided was to get fuel from generators.

Being F2P essentially forced me to raid other people's generators over and over just so I could get the UCS -50% book... and to build up fuel for other things was very motivating. Infected bounties were impossible without that book, so it pushed me, knowing that the ROI from getting that book as soon as possible would be completely worth it because the infected bounty box would give a viable reward.

However, I know I caused a great deal of heartache and I definitely caused some people to quit the game just because I raided their generators constantly, even though I was kind and only did the minimal just to get the fuel. I would even help their compounds. I really didn't want to hurt them, but I needed the fuel early on to compete. Now I don't need it anymore as much.

Edited by Noob, 30 January 2015 - 08:51 AM.

DJfriede

DJfriede
  • 888 posts

Level 50, AG (and a mostly inactive level 18)

I've raided in the alliance war since it was implemented (yeah, even those two fun trial rounds before it :)  )

1. Raiding is fun and exciting. I'm sorry to say it, but shooting droves of zombies and waiting helplessly for that random uni drop just doesn't cut it for me. Raiding is something I can actively influence, something that needs actual skill. PvE and looting is a neverending fight against the random numbers generator.

2. Raiding is probably the only way to give you a real sense of playing an MMO. Most other elements (looting, infected bounties, zombie raids, building up your compound) feel like a singleplayer game. If it weren't for trading and chatting, I could easily play this game without interacting with anyone.

Raiding people, seeing the creativity they put into their defenses, talking about how they overcame my defense, having the occasional drama about someone trashing someone is what makes this game feel alive. My alliance probably wouldn't exist in its current form if we didn't fight the wars together.

3. I do not raid to make someone else's game less fun. I know, getting raided by me or my alliance mates on a daily basis must suck, but I try to keep the damage to a minimum. All the regular war raiders have repaid that respect, so I don't have to deal with people who would constantly try to trash me (yes, there are some trolls and exploiters, but those guys just attack everybody at will and are the scum of the alliance war).

billgfjhghghghgh

billgfjhghghghgh
  • 150 posts

i like raiding just becouse its funny like it is NOW!!Even with the DMU looting is boring as hell..... its like you do the same over again and again.. with no raiding i wouldnt play that game at all !

JCBecks

JCBecks
  • 272 posts

LVL 22 - Facebook (alt)

I enjoy taking out the aggression of being outgunned on my LVL 50 DMU account :P

Wolfhound

Wolfhound
  • 70 posts

i like raiding just becouse its funny like it is NOW!!Even with the DMU looting is boring as hell..... its like you do the same over again and again.. with no raiding i wouldnt play that game at all !

same here (:

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

lvl 50, lvl 42, lvl 26, lvl 20, lvl 14 Yahoo. 

Also had 4 accounts on Kong- 50, 45, 35, 23 before quitting Kong and lvl 23 AG that is still sitting there collecting dust.

I have raided on each of those accounts. Was a farmer for a long time on Kong, didn't do my first raid until the very first war round on Kong and never looked back. To me PvE just gets to be boring after awhile. I could still handle PvE on kong because of the long return times but on Yahoo and AG with a DMU? God, kill me. Only missions I do are the infected bounties now and even then I dread it. I dislike autoing my map and dealing with the million clicks of auto and recycle. 

Only thing that I play for now is the raiding and the competition from those raids. Nothing I like more in this game than going up against the toughest compounds and taking them down. Then keep going back and doing it with 4 and then trying with 3. Not in it for the fuel, the notoriety, etc. Just the fun of raiding, if it weren't for raiding then i wouldn't keep playing this game. 

Edited by justinsr316, 30 January 2015 - 02:16 PM.

Revenant

Revenant
  • 437 posts

While i was always a pvp player i never quite considered myself as a raider because i only attacked to collect bounties or in retribution to attacks on myself and my alliance, that was the part of pvp i was interested in. Never supported the "trash whole compound tactic" used by some in the alliance wars (to reduce other alliances donation capacity) nor the "i trash because i am a jerk" simply both actions only demonstrate the "extensiveness of someone jerkiness". We have a saying in the brotherhood. "you get what you give ... Twice" and describes our raiding policy.

Edited by Revenant, 30 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

Cybertraxx

Cybertraxx
  • 272 posts

I started raiding at about level 13-15 and i never stopped since, i've been at the start of the alliance wars, just like DJ, i remember those two trail rounds when L1N was scoring 50K+ points (yes i know that's ALOT)

Without raiding i would of left the game before it even really started, to me raiding IS this game.

I think for the most part, one of the main reasons i raid is for both personal gain, and the alliance wars, it's fun just to be in the war together, to fight to destroy and recover from raids.

To many it might seem pointless, but raiding really changes the game up..seeing new compound layouts, getting the gear for raiding..(ofc bragging rights too lol) even the drama that comes out of raids, the thrill of the moment, all of it is fun to me.

Keeps the game fresh and it's not something like looting, takes no skill or exp to send autos, but for raids you actually got to think for a second (how am i gonna beat this compound) and it's interesting because there are almost unlimited amount of possible compound layouts, again..it keeps the game fresh and interesting.

Needless to say all the fuel you can get not just from the war, but from bountys, fuel gen ect.

And all of that, and i can still loot...doesn't shut off that part of the game for me, i can still loot fuel...i can still do infected bountys ect.

btw, website: AG Former level 50

And that's why i raid

Edited by Cybertraxx, 30 January 2015 - 04:31 PM.

Ivan

Ivan
  • 571 posts

-snip-

Edited by Ivan, 30 January 2015 - 05:07 PM.

THE CAMANDO

THE CAMANDO
  • 49 posts

apart form chatting to freinds in this game,,,,,raiding is actually the only well mainly the only fun thing re this game !!!  scavenging is boring and time consuming !!!

Raiding is interesting and at times challenging !!!

if I Could ask for any changes it would be re range ....  be sweet to be able to port into an oppenents compound anywhere not just in the green zone and use low distance weapons in stead of everything being about range.... ie close quarters combat

NightmareRaven

NightmareRaven
  • 106 posts

AG level 50

Lol loved this thread. Of course, raiding is fun even when I fail miserably. (wolfhound may now what I'm talking about, since I have failed a lot in his compound :P) I tried to equipe WF several times, but i always end up unequiping it after 3-4 days or less. First because I feel a slot with a wf equiped is a wasted slot that could be there a more useful book equiped in it. And second because i always feel the urge to go raid someone (specially when i see a genny running)  But i still think Con should do something to make raiding be more about skill than equipament (maybe, he could make it so a survivor could only be able to equipe the gun he is specialized with and make it hard and expensive to retrain a survivor, like i think he already mentioned about doing so) I would love to see people having to raid with pistols and shotgun or spend 20k fuel to retrain all their survivors into recons. You guys with awesome m60s and m107s will never understand what is it hard to people with shit guns to raid. Even those who love to raid are simply obliged to stop raiding for their own good. Sorry about getting it off my chest here in this thread.

kennix18

kennix18
  • 61 posts

only got one reason -- ITS FUN.

DZplayer

DZplayer
  • 368 posts

I raid because it is one of the six aspects of the game that makes it versatile: trading, looting, chatting, played missions, attacking other players, and defending against other players.  I value the game itself in its totality.  It is a very well-rounded game.  All aspects of it feedback on each other.  If there were no raiding, I would not play.  I honestly wouldn't try to get better items just to do played missions.  The played missions are a bit monotonous at this point except if you equip the hardcore book.  Raiding and defending is at the heart of the game.  I absolutely love defending.  I get excited about logging on to see if the raiders succeeded or failed me.  You can't have 1 without the other.

Best,

Rick [FAK]

Thanks for bringing up the defending part Rick, i think I totally glossed over the defense part of raiding. I also love designing my compound, positioning and equipping defenders, and adjusting my weak points that the raid reports help me to discover.

Its just as fun as trying to take down someone else's base.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raiding