Photo

I've Posted This Before But It Got Buried.

ideas new creative

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

So. I was thinking about this. Should survivors have personalities? Like one type be picky about things, one that consumes more foods, one that is slightly rebellious? I think every time you're given a new survivor, you should be informed of their personality.

*EXAMPLE*

You've attracted a new survivor!

Kenny

Can be picky about food at times (refuses some foods)

Bit of a coward (chance he might refuse going on missions with a success rate of below moderate)

Because of his depression, it is slightly harder to raise his morale.

If personalities don't work, what about traits?

*EXAMPLE*

James

+10% to food and water collected from vegetable gardens and water collectors (was a farmer before the outbreak)

+10% to shooting accuracy, experience from being a hunter before the outbreak

Morale harder to raise because of depression

Mobility disadvantage and/or longer return times from missions due to old age?

Maybe the quality of the compound determines the helpfulness/efficiency of survivor traits?

The ability to turn down survivor appeal would be good too.

I think that maybe something fundamentally based on this could really add to the game's realism.

Edited by iHectic, 05 February 2015 - 04:48 PM.

bob sagad

bob sagad
  • 271 posts

great idea

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

When you attract a new survivor, they have no assigned role or backstory. You, as the player, give them a role.

Unless you are suggesting completely changing the game and survivors arrive with a "job". If that is the case, it would make the Training Centre irrelevant and would also (most likely) mean the the survivor customisation would need to be removed.

Buue

Buue
  • 657 posts
I like the traits, but it gonna be hard seeing how the farmer one is gonna work, like collecting while they are at the compound, but not necessarily the personality, it is a zombie apocalypse, who has time to be picky? They should just deal with it you know?

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

l

Edited by iHectic, 04 February 2015 - 07:47 AM.

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

When you attract a new survivor, they have no assigned role or backstory. You, as the player, give them a role.

Unless you are suggesting completely changing the game and survivors arrive with a "job". If that is the case, it would make the Training Centre irrelevant and would also (most likely) mean the the survivor customisation would need to be removed.

I'm not saying that survivors arrive with a specific job.  I'm saying that they arrive with traits which remain regardless of what role you choose them, be it recon or fighter. It's like them arriving with a book perk, only permanent. You can still give them the role you want them to have when they arrive, but when they do arrive you're just informed of their traits which carry over. 

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

I like the traits, but it gonna be hard seeing how the farmer one is gonna work, like collecting while they are at the compound, but not necessarily the personality, it is a zombie apocalypse, who has time to be picky? They should just deal with it you know?

I get what you mean. It's not everybody's cup of tea. But it gives you the excitement of realism, facing REAL world problems. Because right now the game seems a little bland with just survivor requests. Instead, I want the management of a real leader, with real survivors. I want to them to feel a little more REAL to me, instead of survivors which are exactly the same with the only difference being their specialties. I want it to be spiced up a little. Truth is, I don't find myself playing this game often anymore. I've grown extremely bored, and I doubt I'm the only one. Maybe something like this will grip people and convince them to keep playing. Dunno, maybe.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Would these traits be editable? I wouldn't want any grumpy emos, it would be highly likely they might be accidently locked outside the gate during a zombie raid.

Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
  • 610 posts

"accidentally" Riiiiight, accidentally... like how I "accidentally" dropped that live grenade behind their bed and ran away before I could tell them...

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

"accidentally" Riiiiight, accidentally... like how I "accidentally" dropped that live grenade behind their bed and ran away before I could tell them...

You get the idea ;)

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

Would these traits be editable? I wouldn't want any grumpy emos, it would be highly likely they might be accidently locked outside the gate during a zombie raid.

If the traits were editable you'd lose the initial sense of realism. But if they were to implement something like this, they'd need to include the ability to turn down survivor appeal if the players don't like their traits/personality. Otherwise there'd be a lot of unhappy players.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Otherwise there'd be a lot of unhappy players.

What tends to happen is there wouldn't be those players, hence a bad idea

amalgamech

amalgamech
  • 31 posts

Traits? Personalities? Reminds me of the Sims XD but might be good to have that feature for fun, it of course has no actual use in the game.

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

What tends to happen is there wouldn't be those players, hence a bad idea

Well if there's the ability to turn down a survivor then the players shouldn't be unhappy considering they can view the traits beforehand.  But even if you had a grumpy emo, sure there'd be the morale, but maybe he could of have a 10% less food intake (than regular survivors). Survivors can have both good and bad traits. I understand if it was somehow going to work the devs will definitely need to tweak it. 

iHectic

iHectic
  • 7 posts

Traits? Personalities? Reminds me of the Sims XD but might be good to have that feature for fun, it of course has no actual use in the game.

Well it kinda does have an actual use in the game, but it'd be preferable if players could disable "extra realism" or whatever you wanna call it, and play the game normally. But it just gives the game that extra edge, like when the players are confronted with the new survivor traits, they have to make a decision to risk their survivor eating 10% more or whatever, exchanging that for 10% faster building time. It's almost  like your new survivors having permanent book perks, only a little more personal.

Edited by iHectic, 05 February 2015 - 07:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ideas, new, creative