Photo

Off Topic - Monster's Den Godfall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Hey guys, 

I'm going a bit off topic today for a friend of mine, Dan Stradwick. He's an indie dev that hails from Melbourne and has been a friend of Con Artist Games since I met him at GDC. 

Dan has brought the sequel to his Monster's Den games, which some of you might have played on Armor Games and Kongregate. 

Monster's Den Godfall - Kickstarter 

bob sagad

bob sagad
  • 271 posts

Looks good might try it :)

3 more kittens and a baby unicorn dead

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

Looks like something that's up my alley, Shame it's on Kickstarter.

I do not have one of those fancy magic plastic cards with money on them... Ran into a similar problem when trying to fund another game.

If he releases any digital payment options, such as Humble, which i used to fund said other game. I'll be happy to pitch in.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Looks like something that's up my alley, Shame it's on Kickstarter.

I do not have one of those fancy magic plastic cards with money on them... Ran into a similar problem when trying to fund another game.

If he releases any digital payment options, such as Humble, which i used to fund said other game. I'll be happy to pitch in.

Ah bummer Tacticool. I'll ask Dan, I think Kickstarter controls the payment options though.

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

Yeah, Kickstarter isn't doing Paypal anytime soon i think.

Ivan

Ivan
  • 571 posts

wish i had time but the CaG product has taken me whole :(

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

wish i had time but the CaG product has taken me whole :(

Plenty of time, the game won't be out until Feb 2016!

Hatchford

Hatchford
  • 920 posts

Looks like a fun game... I have thoroughly enjoyed all his previous ones... sadly, It looks like I will not be playing that one... I understand he put more work into it, and it sure looks like it from the video... but money is tight and I do not have a game budget any longer.... shame... ive always enjoyed that series and that looks like a gem...

zsoleszdc

zsoleszdc
  • 380 posts

I love the Monsters' Den series, played it for hours, and never get bored.

Alice

Alice
  • 21 posts

Damn it, Con.  I spend enough time playing your game and now you have to remind me of this?  Monster's Den is an even bigger time suck than Dead Zone and there's no uni cap in the dungeons, so there's no reason to call it a night when playing those games.  :)

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Damn it, Con.  I spend enough time playing your game and now you have to remind me of this?  Monster's Den is an even bigger time suck than Dead Zone and there's no uni cap in the dungeons, so there's no reason to call it a night when playing those games.  :)

Hah, sorry! It's worth it though, the game is looking great, hope you can back it!

Revenant

Revenant
  • 437 posts

i liked the idea. and i don't think that being a kickstarter game reduces its potential in any way. 

great games started in that very manner, for example wasteland 2.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

i liked the idea. and i don't think that being a kickstarter game reduces its potential in any way. 

great games started in that very manner, for example wasteland 2.

True. Did you know that my good friend, Joey Betz, who I made Crush the Castle with, worked on Wasteland 2?

Sandunes

Sandunes
  • 44 posts

This is great!

I had been viisiting his blog every 3 months or so hoping for him to announce that Godfall was complete.

I ended up having to take a minimum wage security job when the economy took a dive in '08, and the other games in this series kept me from going insane on night shift.

(Yes, I made a horrible security guard, don't rat me out!)

I can not even begin to estimate how many hours I played... Can't wait!

JCBecks

JCBecks
  • 272 posts

True. Did you know that my good friend, Joey Betz, who I made Crush the Castle with, worked on Wasteland 2?

Crush the Castle is still badass! Physics FTW :)

Revenant

Revenant
  • 437 posts

Good to know. I didn't know you two worked on crush the castle !  I used to take breaks during college study to play it at the library. was an excellent way too cool off the head after the exams.

Edited by Revenant, 12 May 2015 - 09:05 PM.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Good to know. I didn't know you two worked on crush the castle !  I used to take breaks during college study to play it at the library. was an excellent way too cool off the head after the exams.

Yep. Helped a little bit with the game design and did all the art for it and Crush the Castle 2. Was good fun, Joey is an awesome guy.

zsoleszdc

zsoleszdc
  • 380 posts

Just noticed: 30,000 AUD is still needed? I never thought that game developing is such a money-consuming activity. I have watched the video, and will definitely donate 12 or 15 dollars for Dan. My only fear is that the new game will be much similar to the previous ones, so I won't get new gaming experience from the new game.

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

Coding takes time, and time takes money, and food, and caffeine, which both are mainly bought with money.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Just noticed: 30,000 AUD is still needed? I never thought that game developing is such a money-consuming activity. I have watched the video, and will definitely donate 12 or 15 dollars for Dan. My only fear is that the new game will be much similar to the previous ones, so I won't get new gaming experience from the new game.

Yep, it's not cheap. People need wages just like any other job. The last couple of Call of Duty games for example cost over $200 Million dollars to make and had over 1000 people working on it.