Photo

Limiting Uniform Weapon And Defense Types

Raiding pvp compound strategy weapons long rifles unique weapons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Toshio_Ota LXS

Toshio_Ota LXS
  • 17 posts

Over the course of my gameplay in PvP I was somewhat frustrated by the seeming lack of strategy that went into raiding. All of the defenses have been standardized, as well as the attack strategies, and even the weapons of choice. The Dev team was speculating about ways to remove Long Rifles as the primary raiding weapon, but that was difficult as all of the defensive layouts would still be the same, thus creating a new standard, even if it wasn't ranged long rifles. I believe that creating different compound layouts for different players may help solve this problem.

First, no layout may be tailored to any specific weapon or strategy. The maps we have now are; they are just completely open, perfect for long rifles and their extended range either head-on, or around the corners with grenades. That's fine, until you have looted no uniques except assault rifles until level 40 (as I have). If these maps are to successfully dissuade weapon specialization, they must have different patterns of blind spots across each map. Not just cover, but things like walls or signs that completely block line of sight. To enhance this effect further, a random placement generator could be used (in moderation) to place some of these. Every compound could be slightly different that way, and require the raider to hit each compound with a different strategy and weapon loadout. This would also encourage defenders to set up their compounds more strategically, not just following a model. Assault rifles or lmgs might be better on one side of the defense, and long rifles on the other. 

Second, each general map design should be examined for possible "wonder" defense capabilities. Similar to the "one-side wonder" defenses that exist now, if players are able to design a uniform, near-impenetrable defense you'll see the same problems occurring: the best weapons will ultimately win the game, even if it's not LRs. The "spawntrap" defenses that exist now cause the same problem, with the focus on damage/resistance as well as range. The line-of-sight obstructions should be engineered such that that capability does not exist. I suggest each map be play-tested by the dev team (or even some good players, Con already admitted that the devs aren't as good at raiding) in several ways to ensure that no such a possibility exists.

Third: Creating 10 or 15 similar general layouts would be fine, except if they all favor lmgs you may as well just nix all but one again. Some of them should be more open (like we have now), while others may be so tight as to even favor assault rifles or submachine guns! This way, no player can stock up on just one weapon type, and everyone will be forced to be more proficient at strategizing with all weapon types. 

Lastly, this feature (if added) should be monitored for constant changes. If any new general strategies begin to form, the layouts could be changed every couple months (the RnG parts at the very least), or an alternate solution sought. This game is still on beta, and I'm sure we'd all like to see it improved before it becomes very hard to change!

Edited by Toshio_Ota LXS, 20 May 2015 - 10:08 PM.

kijhvitc

kijhvitc
  • 282 posts

1. this game will probably never leave beta

2. good idea

ruawizard

ruawizard
  • 426 posts

Sounds cool but hard for me to picture. +1 for more discussion.

Lefty_Grimes

Lefty_Grimes
  • 290 posts

An idea like this reminds of the days when I used to play tabletop Clix games, specifically MechWarrior. At the start of the game, each player would have the chance to place three pieces of Terrain that provide different benefits: buildings (block line of sight), grass (slows movement, provides cover for infantry and vehicles), and water (slows movement, cools your Mechs). Players would select Terrain to fit their style of play, and to fit strategies to counteract their opponent.

Perhaps allowing raiders to place two or three barricades or walls of their own in the deployment phase of each raid would allow for greater strategies.

Imagine having the chance to place a high cover barricade within the minimum effective range of a One Side Wonder defense, moving behind it under the cover of smoke, and taking the defenders out with LMGs. Or how about placing a high wall between the Flag and defenders and swiping the Flag without getting sniped by manned Watchtowers? You could even place barricades to provide cover for while you work the angles of a tough corner defense.

This idea would need a lot of tweaking to prevent it from becoming abused, but it would definitely shake things up on both sides of the raid.

Toshio_Ota LXS

Toshio_Ota LXS
  • 17 posts

OK. so here is a visual so you can all see what I'm thinking about.

RED = line of sight obstruction

BLACK = barricade with high cover, or compound wall.

GREEN = Long Rifle range

GREY = Long Rifle ineffective range

BLUE = LMG or AR range

http://prntscr.com/77o713

This compound retains the open concept that is currently in play, where someone has a spawntrap set up. On the top (right) side you see a typical spawntrap set up with LRs; on the bottom is a set up with lmgs to protect closer to the flag. The line-of-sight obstructions are placed such that the attacker is safe in the spawn zone in certain areas. 

But the focus of this is to get the defenders and attackers to re-think their approaches, and have to do so at every new compound they attack. The defender will presumably not want to keep the current defense as it does not achieve its purpose of disabling any attacker without better weapons. The redesign will require them to put more strategy into the game and even vary which weapons they use where for better effect:

http://prntscr.com/77qjm6

This defense may get a bit busy, but basically i had to focus on covering all angles since there are ways that raiders can get around them, as well as compensating for the minimum effective range of the long rifles. EVERY defender will have to set theirs up a little differently than mine in the diagram since those line-of-sight obstructions will be in different positions according to the RnG. TO MAKE THIS EFFECTIVE THE ATTACKER MUST BE ABLE TO LEAN AROUND THE EDGES OF THE L-O-S OBSTRUCTIONS. Keep in mind that this map clearly favors LRs and ranged LMGs; not every map sould be this open. For one-side wonder defenses that exist now, there is no real different strategy to setting them up, but this way, everyone must engineer theirs differently because of those line-of-sight obstructions (in red).

Edited by Toshio_Ota LXS, 21 May 2015 - 03:07 PM.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

OK. so here is a visual so you can all see what I'm thinking about.

RED = line of sight obstruction

BLACK = barricade with high cover, or compound wall.

GREEN = Long Rifle range

GREY = Long Rifle ineffective range

BLUE = LMG or AR range

Having that many guidelines showing would not only be very messy on the game screen but for them to update in real time would be likely to cause crashes for players.

Toshio_Ota LXS

Toshio_Ota LXS
  • 17 posts

Having that many guidelines showing would not only be very messy on the game screen but for them to update in real time would be likely to cause crashes for players.

That color code was only for my diagrams. It of course would not be displayed in the game.

NorHawk

NorHawk
  • 83 posts

Very good ideas Toshio, i would love more challenge in raiding, and what cool it would be that you had to actually strategic had to have several guns in raiding strategy

Would love to see this idea implemented in the game :)

+1

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

This inspired me to look at few things, thanks. Stay tuned. Nothing as whacky as different compound layouts, but something we can trial to see if it mixes things up. 

Toshio_Ota LXS

Toshio_Ota LXS
  • 17 posts

Glad to help. Keep up the good work!! :D

LeatherPants

LeatherPants
  • 81 posts

This inspired me to look at few things, thanks. Stay tuned. Nothing as whacky as different compound layouts, but something we can trial to see if it mixes things up. 

I hope it inspired you to consider something that I suggested a while back, and that is buildable walls that block line of sight.  The number of them would be limited of course, just like the barricades and whatnot we can build now.  I still feel this would be an effective addition to the game that might encourage the use of varied weapon types and altered tactics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raiding, pvp, compound, strategy, weapons, long rifles, unique weapons