Photo

Reduce The Penalty For Disconnecting From Missions

disconnect mission

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

cammcken

cammcken
  • 9 posts

It's too harsh. If none of your survivors are in the safe zone and a disconnect occurs (prompting you to refresh) in the middle of a mission, the mission is aborted, the survivors must return home, and you get NOTHING. NONE of the loot you picked up while there. While none of the survivors are technically downed and injured, the game still doesn not register any loot carried back. Is there any way to, at the very least, let us keep the loot we had already gathered, in the case of a disconnect? Even better would be to let us continue where we left off.

kijhvitc

kijhvitc
  • 282 posts

The server does not save the mission info until you leave

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Offical Dev Response.

(in other words, not gonna happen, sorry).

Beardeddevil

Beardeddevil
  • 11 posts

at the very least, when we get disconnected during a mission  (a problem the dev's have admitted they are aware of and working on), change the mission to automated.  That way players at least get random loot.  I've scavanged all containers and was camping in the green zone farming infected kills while running down the clock and been dumped.  1h 20m to return and I get back empty handed

cammcken

cammcken
  • 9 posts

That's a good idea, Beardeddevil.

If you read the developer response, though, it still doesn't solve the problem of players abusing it. (They can turn an almost failed mission into a normal automated mission)

cammcken

cammcken
  • 9 posts

I think the devs could implement an autosave system. The map info doesn't need to be saved; only the loot, injury and xp info. Let's say it happens... after every five looted containers, and also at the beginning of every wave? (Beginning, because usually at the end of a wave, when the zombies stop coming out of the holes, the survivors are still fighting the ones who are out). And obviously every time a survivor is downed, whenever a rare is looted, or when all containers are looted. That wouldn't put too much strain on the servers, would it?

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

I would think there would be too much strain, seeing as Kong server got overloaded several times before.

But only Con can answer this.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

at the very least, when we get disconnected during a mission  (a problem the dev's have admitted they are aware of and working on), change the mission to automated.  That way players at least get random loot.  I've scavanged all containers and was camping in the green zone farming infected kills while running down the clock and been dumped.  1h 20m to return and I get back empty handed

Too exploitable.

Unless you suggest that they get the added time of the auto mission tacked on to the return time.

i.e.

Say the return time is 1 hour on the mission you're doing -- you disconnect and it switches to an auto mission.  -- the return time is now 1.5 hours.

Without the added return time people would disconnect on purpose to get shorter return times for their autos.

But I'm not sure you'd want that...

Edited by Zingman, 28 September 2015 - 04:47 AM.

Beardeddevil

Beardeddevil
  • 11 posts

well auto missions add 5 mins. (the added time is actually how long you would be in the actual mission if you played it).  So a one hour mission that you get dropped from and switches to auto would be 1 hour 5 mins.  And yes, I would have no problem with the longer time.  And as far as exploitable, it would be a pretty crappy exploit.  Haven't yet gotten any premium gear or anything in an auto-mission.  Just recyclable junk.  But if I get dumped in a mission, and that location is locked out, with no XP awarded, and I have to wait for my team to get back, I'll take recyclables over returning empty handed any time

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

The return time on a mission that is 1 hours if played is 1.5 hours, not 1 hour and 5 minutes.

bob sagad

bob sagad
  • 271 posts

Then Zing Man make it auto mission return time. IF the player doesn't want that then its back to normal dc raid which will be given in settings

Kharnock

Kharnock
  • 1 posts

I really wish they'd implement something like this.I get dc'd a lot so this would really help me out.Not sure if it's just my internet that's the issue or if it's an issue with the game itself but it happens to me quite a lot so this would really help me out.

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

Offical Dev Response.

(in other words, not gonna happen, sorry).

That's about PvP, where someone is on the other end losing out.  This appears to be a PvE thread.  Zombies don't feel bad when they're denied a kill.

I'd like to reiterate here that no one is disconnecting in the first second as an exploit strategy.  Those are always software failures due to increased load.  So a good first step might be removing any DC penalties when disconnecting before the first second.  (And this, I think, could include PvP as it is a response to the Dev's "no way to know" concern.)

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

That's about PvP, where someone is on the other end losing out.  This appears to be a PvE thread.  Zombies don't feel bad when they're denied a kill.

You must have read it wrong;

People were hitting refresh on missions when they felt they didn't get enough good loot / were about to die / messed up in order to avoid the penalties. This was particularly a problem in the alliance wars.

Having a "timer" where a crash stopped the penalties would only lead to more complaints.

1 second in and you crash - zero penalties.

1.5 or more seconds in - same penalties as we currently have.

In a game where it can take a few seconds to render the map on the players screen, a one second timer would be useless.

iriquoi pliskin

iriquoi pliskin
  • 81 posts

i said it while back, but i'll say it again: 

on a failed (diconnect or refresh) just kick the survivors straight back to the compound (no time penalty).  But; no kills counted, no loot kept, no injuries, no ammo used etc.  Basically no evidence they have been anywhere, this is the only fair way to run the system.  Con to decide if the area becomes locked out (i would suggest yes, but hope for a no).  no data goes to the server with this method.

at the moment, anyone with a DMU gets to go out rack up the kills (refresh/disconnect) have a short return time for no ammo cost.  those without the DMU can do this too of course, but they have the +hours return time (still get the kill count recorded, but for no ammo cost). 

so there remains an exploit here; to complete kill task (infected bounties etc) without ammo penalty, just refresh.

if you want stuff without actually doing the work, run autos!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disconnect, mission