Photo

Compound Test - Next Week

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, with the introduction of our new weapons I figured it was finally time to test it out. 

After the next shutdown, we will trial this new compound layout. I'll take feedback from you guys on how you feel about it. It changes the layouts fairly dramatically, so it might not work at all, we'll have to see. 

This is an experiment, it might be gone the following week, depending on feedback.

Here's what's different:

- High, line of sight blocking cover on each side of the compound

- A third cover object on the carpark side

compound-test.jpg

*behold the mess that is my compound, this is what happens when you're using the same test compound you started with 4 years ago*

crazyeightyfive

crazyeightyfive
  • 266 posts
Look at those un-upgraded towers - NOOB!

JK Con, looks interesting.

edit: what kind of helmet is your #1 Survivor wearing?

Edited by crazyeightyfive, 13 August 2015 - 01:18 AM.

DZplayer

DZplayer
  • 368 posts

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, with the introduction of our new weapons I figured it was finally time to test it out. 

After the next shutdown, we will trial this new compound layout. I'll take feedback from you guys on how you feel about it. It changes the layouts fairly dramatically, so it might not work at all, we'll have to see. 

This is an experiment, it might be gone the following week, depending on feedback.

Here's what's different:

- High, line of sight blocking cover on each side of the compound

- A third cover object on the carpark side

compound-test.jpg

*behold the mess that is my compound, this is what happens when you're using the same test compound you started with 4 years ago*

Nice BC!

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 812 posts

Look at those un-upgraded towers - NOOB!

JK Con, looks interesting.

edit: what kind of helmet is your #1 Survivor wearing?

Survivor #1 probably is wearing a Combat Helmet - Alpine.

williamhartono12

williamhartono12
  • 8 posts

im still newbie so i can't do this tough, but i should say that your compound is covering the supplies, better you put your most valuable supplies inside then block the door by using compound door, it should helps

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

In a serious, calm tone.

Can the attackers shoot over the high cover?  This set-up seems to mean you have to move to another cover to shoot if you spawn there.  Consquently there is no need to worry about attacks from the middle covers.  This also means attackers can't close in.

Attackers and defenders cannot shoot over the high cover. You will need to move to other cover if you spawn there. There is no worry about attacks from the middle covers, except in the case of the attacker using it to angle. 

"This also means attackers can't close in." Not sure what you mean by that.

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

Very interesting. You'll need a triple smoke bridge to move from behind cover to a car, but it's doable.

Also, can we throw a smoke over the high cover ?

EndWish

EndWish
  • 16 posts

Does anyone presently smoke all the way to upper cars when they are attacking deep one-sided defenses?  And I mean directly.

This set-up also kills angles to side defenses from the middle barricade.  you would have to shoot head-on or from the strong side.

Con, this looks dreadful to me, but I defer to more experienced raiders for now.

We should reserve judgement until we have time to test it out. Considering that we have never had this type of element involved in raids it would be too hard to argue for or against it. 

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Also, can we throw a smoke over the high cover ?

You can't throw anything over objects that block line of sight.

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

Luckily :) just wanted to make sure

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 100 posts

Not sure what you're looking to accomplish with this change. The only real use spawning behind those barriers will have is to perhaps use the angles to snipe non-grouped defenders.

My initial response is pretty much that of Expat but If you state clearly what the purpose is we might be able to tell you if it will do what you hope it will.

Edit: what expat meant was that the middle cement blocks were used to close in on side bases situated at the back, by first spawning down at the bottom and then moving up to the middle when the high range guns have been taken out.

Edited by ChrisHitchens, 13 August 2015 - 02:02 AM.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

Not sure what you're looking to accomplish with this change. The only real use spawning behind those barriers will have is to perhaps use the angles to snipe non-grouped defenders.

My initial response is pretty much that of Expat but If you state clearly what the purpose is we might be able to tell you if it will do what you hope it will.

They're specifically designed to provide protection against spawn traps. 

NorHawk

NorHawk
  • 83 posts

Very interesting Con :)

I love how you guys are continuing developing this game now!

Keep up the great work!

+1

/Chris

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 100 posts

They're specifically designed to provide protection against spawn traps. 

oh they wont protect you from those, since the angle is so small it would only disuade the ones that don't have silly range and can't group the main bulk of their survivors.

I guess the top raiders might be able to make it work but think of it this way: If the angle is too small to be able to take out more than a survivor or two when that is done you are left stranded behind an obstacle and the moment you poke your head out you'll be shot without cover (not to mention that you would have to angle effectively under fire or use a smoke to do so in the blind). And if you are able to smoke your way to the nearest car wreck with 3 smokes you'll basicly be in the same situation you started at perhaps with the ability to arrange your attackers a bit with the seconds of smoke you have left.

It's basicly the best thing.

That is what I see happening but I might be a bit pesimistic, would love to hear what other experienced raiders have to say.

Edited by ChrisHitchens, 13 August 2015 - 02:22 AM.

Con

Con
  • 4,259 posts

oh they wont protect you from those, since the angle is so small it would only disuade the ones that don't have silly range and can't group the main bulk of their survivors.

I guess the top raiders might be able to make it work but think of it this way: If the angle is too small to be able to take out more than a survivor or two when that is done you are left stranded behind an obstacle and the moment you poke your head out you'll be shot without cover. And if you are able to smoke your way to the nearest car wreck with 3 smokes you'll basicly be in the same situation you started at perhaps with the ability to arrange your attackers a bit with the seconds of smoke you have left.

It's basicly the best thing.

That is what I see happening but I might be a bit pesimistic, would love to hear what other experienced raiders have to say.

Yeah of course. We'll have to see. My thought is that it at least provides an option, but it might also limit too many others. 

The other thing I've been considering is adding one or two additional smaller cover pieces in between the major pieces, allowing you to spread out a bit after spawning. 

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

The advantage these high covers have (against spawn traps) is that you can spawn safely, then throw some smoke to get yourself behind the car, spread out your attackers and target defenders. Now your survivors will also start shooting once the smoke clears, while spawning behind the car doesn't allow you to target defenders or spread out your attackers before the fight really begins.

Someone else also posted another idea for this a while back about setting some sort of delay once spawned before the fight starts. That probably would have been easier, but this should work just as well.

ruawizard

ruawizard
  • 426 posts

The other thing I've been considering is adding one or two additional smaller cover pieces in between the major pieces, allowing you to spread out a bit after spawning. 

Yeah this seems like a good idea to me versus converting existing cover

Desert_Cypher

Desert_Cypher
  • 6 posts

I'm very rusty with my raiding skills, but wouldn't cover blocking line of sight just trap raiders behind their wall? As in the second a raider steps outside the wall, every defender in range will light up the poor sap that had to peek outside.

Maruse

Maruse
  • 788 posts

I'm not so sure about this really sure you can spawn safety and maybe move to another cover and yeah position your survivors the way you need them to be.  And yeah when you are raiding a one sided defence you can't use the new covers to move up a  guy into sniping position since he will be unable to fire.

This might actually do more harm than good but yeah it's just a test so.

Gronf

Gronf
  • 32 posts

For spawn trap it would just have been much easier to stop the autofiring from attacking survivors, so you can decide when to get out of cover...this works anyway but will consume some smoke and time, also a misclick is enough to mess up a raid.