How Did You Handle Uni Disallusionment?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

q4norm

q4norm
  • 22 posts

POPULAR

Has this happened to you?

You start playing the dead zone.  It's fun.  Eventually you find your first unique weapon - and you get totally pumped!  This will totally help you kick butt in this game!  And it's better than any green or purple or blue you found, and it -does- help you kick butt.  Maybe you even find a few more unique weapons or gear.

And then, then you build a radio.

Everyone, literally everyone, in chat, tells you your unique weapon, that you thought was totally awesome, is worthless.  Then someone posts a good weapon in chat, or says they're looking for a weapon with so and so stats, please.  Do you have a weapon like that in your inventory?  No, no you do not.  Not even close.  After dozens or even hundreds of hours of playing, you don't have one single weapon other players actually want.

And you realize, finally, that most unique weapons, all but just a very few, have little to no value.  Maybe 1 out of 25 are good?  or 1 out of 100?  You aren't sure of the exact ratio, but in any case, you soon realize you have a lot, lot, LOT more grinding to do to catch up to these other players who have way, way, better gear than you.  And probably, probably these other players have invested so much time or money in game that you actually -can't- catch up without doing the same, and you aren't willing to do that.

What did you do when that moment dawned on you?

Reverend

Reverend
  • 301 posts

You have to ask the question "Is this unique worthless"? If its of use to you then no, its not. Just because someone else doesn't want or need it doesnt mean it cant be of use to you. Heck even the supposedly crappy uniques and rares can be recycled for infamous components and some of the infamous stuff you can craft is pretty nice. Just make sure you have books to boost crafting chance/reduce fuel cost and your alliance can buy a crafting bonus so you can make the most of it. I've got my eye on some terror masks.

Look at me, I can quite happily take 5 superior savage sawn offs with high reload gear and a 50% permanent ammo book on a loot run or zombie bounty. I dont need anything else, theres a bunch of nice high level ARs, LR and LMG at level 55 that are hugely popular but I'd never use them. Even when it comes to the island raids I have all the armour and good weapons for it. I'm not going to stress out that I dont have all the shiny stuff that someone else has, got everything I need and am confident enough on island raids already. Theres no point to me. Its not to say these weapons are useless, its saying they're useless to me. I dont need them, I have other stuff I prefer to use.

If you cant loot the good gear yourself keep an eye on trade. Just dont let yourself get ripped off because some people really do shoot for the moon (No, I dont want to give 20 premium keys for a 80% bandolier). The coin of the realm is premium keys so get a couple of them (ok so its real money but you're not going to need to invest a tonne of cash into the game) and hang around in trade and you'll get something decent. It beats doing dozens or even hundreds of missions and hoping you get something decent.

Strider

Strider
  • 246 posts

Uniques are uniques dude, if you like them and if YOU think they're good, they are. A lot of people look for end game unique weapons (boosts to range, APS, damage simulataneously), so most weapons without any of those three bonuses in one go is considered inferior to them. But, if you're a PvE player like myself, I value every single unique I find because they're good enough for scavenge missions which is basically all I do. I assume your level is below 20 hence why you looked forward to finding your first unique? I'm not sure, in my older account I didn't find uniques until I was level 40 so there's that. If you found it yourself and you like it, enjoy what it'll do for you.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Funny I had the radio built way before I found my first unique....

Cybertraxx

Cybertraxx
  • 281 posts

Funny I had the radio built way before I found my first unique....

Same.

But as far as original post goes, i guess what the others are trying to say is you don't need those amazing uniques to play the game.

And that is true, this moment of realizing your unique most likely isn't very...unique sucks obviously, but really you can go through PvE very smoothly with just crafted stuff, as far as PvP goes it really depends on how much experience you have, good weapons and gear are only going to get you so far.

The Architect

The Architect
  • 2,995 posts

People have preferences.

While raiders likes LR, I don't give much about them.

Raiders generally don't like Miniguns, i love them.

Uniques and Rares are designed to be random, with random stats, and random amount of bonuses, and these combination decides at which portion of the game it is good. Obviously you're not going to use a 3/3 VS-121 during zombie missions, but again you're not going to bring a 3/3 KS-25 raiding either. 

Although to give you credit, good stats on a Unique is a bit hard to come by, or you're just unlucky.

Other people buy it via Keys trading. With what i have seen so far, the raiding scene is much more lucrative than PvE, and so there's a lot of trading going around, and with the LR and Effective-range superiority producing high demand, that it even bleeds on other equipment like Assault Rifle, LMG.

SCREW what people want, find what you want. And if you're not contended, why not keep playing till you get what you want?

Scrub McLordington LXIX

Scrub McLordington LXIX
  • 1,366 posts

What did you do when that moment dawned on you?

Uhhh....let me think for a moment....nothing, yep, i did absolutely nothing.

Ivan

Ivan
  • 571 posts

q4norm, if it would be any different. If all uni types were common. If everything had no value like you pointed out.

Would there be anything there for you to actually try keep getting in trades or in play? I think you would have a different moment then, moment when you realize there is nothing out there to really play for.

Sandunes

Sandunes
  • 44 posts

If the item is an improvement for you, who cares?

And perhaps to give you some inspiration:

I did not see a unique until well past level 30. I did not see a unique long rifle until level 50, and the one I found was level 30-something. I gave it to an alliance member of the appropriate level.

Then, about a month ago, I looted 2 amazing long rifles almost back to back (3 missions total). This was my most memorable and exciting moment playing this game so far.

Making rare stuff actually rare is a double edge sword, I agree. But when you find one, it makes the game so much more fun!

*shrugs*

If it isn't your cup of tea there are about a zillion other games out there...

Max1144

Max1144
  • 416 posts

Has this happened to you?

It hasn't happened to me. I joined chat as soon as I could to find an alliance and other ppl to play with. Got intrested in trading and in some time I knew prices on most of the stuff worth selling. That was waaay before I ever found any uni or rare.

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

I think this is a very real and reasonable problem that seriously reduces the number of new players (but not new alt accounts) in the game.  It looks to me like two problems:

1) Price Checks.  Finding out what established players think something is worth is nice, but always a let down.  The trouble is, everyone offers price checks and folks foolishly listen.  The fact that your uni pistol "isn't worth the fuel to trade" to a lvl 55 player (or his alts) means nothing about how valuable it is to you or others your level.  If we all stopped giving, and/or stopped listening to price checks the game would be better for everyone.

2) Only a few good guns.  This is great for folks that like "hey shiny new thing" but kinda crap for "interesting compound, lets figure it out".  Its the direction CAG has chosen to go with the game though, not much to be done about it.  Either you can just ignore the alts with their OP guns and enjoy playing with other new players, or it isn't really worth playing. 

Ivan

Ivan
  • 571 posts

I think this is a very real and reasonable problem that seriously reduces the number of new players (but not new alt accounts) in the game.

2) Only a few good guns.  This is great for folks that like "hey shiny new thing" but kinda crap for "interesting compound, lets figure it out".  Its the direction CAG has chosen to go with the game though, not much to be done about it.  Either you can just ignore the alts with their OP guns and enjoy playing with other new players, or it isn't really worth playing. 

True, but it would also be even more foolish if a guy playing for a month could loot his way up to fight guys who have played for 3 years. That would make no sense at all.

What you said is correct, every new player should enjoy and practice raids in the "new raider" pool of targets. But I also think that working your way up is too slow and hard for most. To be able to compete with the best you need to invest more than most are able or willing to do. Time and or money (to speed things up).

I can only agree with what many raiders already stated. Every LR needs to get a blue craft schem like the FAL already has. Those crafts can compete with OP alts. Also crafting those is a bunch of fun on itself. Many people find crafting FALs as a beautiful way to spend their time,fuel, blue tokens, for their own benefit, or alliance recruiting new raiders benefit.

Why not expand that to LR types (All raiding lvls) ?

No real reason, all you have to do is check, what PvP stuff is the most crafted by far, and if you want to encourage crafting in general, add more of that stuff then.

Help new player, help crafting, help yourself.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

True, but it would also be even more foolish if a guy playing for a month could loot his way up to fight guys who have played for 3 years. That would make no sense at all.

What you said is correct, every new player should enjoy and practice raids in the "new raider" pool of targets. But I also think that working your way up is too slow and hard for most. To be able to compete with the best you need to invest more than most are able or willing to do. Time and or money (to speed things up).

I can only agree with what many raiders already stated. Every LR needs to get a blue craft schem like the FAL already has. Those crafts can compete with OP alts. Also crafting those is a bunch of fun on itself. Many people find crafting FALs as a beautiful way to spend their time,fuel, blue tokens, for their own benefit, or alliance recruiting new raiders benefit.

Why not expand that to LR types (All raiding lvls) ?

No real reason, all you have to do is check, what PvP stuff is the most crafted by far, and if you want to encourage crafting in general, add more of that stuff then.

Help new player, help crafting, help yourself.

I can't agree more with the FAL crafting, for me, the game seems rather monotonous without a goal to strive for, and in that I buy various rare kits for FALs, armors, and other things.

The Conspiracy Guy

The Conspiracy Guy
  • 165 posts

to answer the Q:

when I found out the Barry's Calamity that I thought was awesome was actually bowshit, I quit for half an hour and went to get Doritos.

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

Just to give you an outside perspective. The people connected to the chat are the most dedicated and hardcore 5% of all players. As some of the others have said, if you like your Unique, then it's a good Unique for you.

When it comes to trading, that might be another issue, but it's generally going to be better than any Elite quality item that you have. 

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

Just to give you an outside perspective. The people connected to the chat are the most dedicated and hardcore 5% of all players. As some of the others have said, if you like your Unique, then it's a good Unique for you.

When it comes to trading, that might be another issue, but it's generally going to be better than any Elite quality item that you have. 

Yeah, when it comes to trading, "it's good for my level" isn't really going to help with the most dedicated and hardcore of all players.

With trade, there are soooo many unis that you learn to differentiate between different subqualities withing a unique.

-Extraordinary

-That max aps SCAR, high dps anything, maxrange LR, 90%+ bando, those all fall under this category.

-Good

-A high aps SCAR, aps + damage uniques, high range LR, and 80%+ bandos fall into this category.

-Decent/Above Average

- Usable uniques that do work and are affordable to buy for F2P players (herc3s), high 70% in bandos and 37.5% range LR i'd say is above average.

-Bad

-These are the damage only SCARs, 27.5% aps only uniques, and in a lot of cases, LRs with missing stats and 27.5% range (subjective).

-Disguised inf comps

- Range only non-LRs and the such.

That's about how I rate unis, there is no definitive guide and lots of variations and differences in context. 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

...there is no definitive guide and lots of variations and differences in context. 

And as Con points out, the most important context is the level and current weapons of the player themselves.  Such an important context that this list is irrelevant to what is 'good' or valuable to the player that finds it. 

Even when they want to trade it to someone else, the above info is still irrelevant.  Because how the gun would benefit a dedicated lvl 50+ player is not the be all and end all of a gun's value to other players at other levels with other inventories.  There's plenty of good trading to be done outside the 'standard' key price schema.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

And as Con points out, the most important context is the level and current weapons of the player themselves.  Such an important context that this list is irrelevant to what is 'good' or valuable to the player that finds it. 

Even when they want to trade it to someone else, the above info is still irrelevant.  Because how the gun would benefit a dedicated lvl 50+ player is not the be all and end all of a gun's value to other players at other levels with other inventories.  There's plenty of good trading to be done outside the 'standard' key price schema.

Level of the player is hardly what matters here, I just look at the stats of a unique based on the % increases on the bottom, this indicates rarity and the practical usage applications.

From those I derive the "value" of an item on the grand scheme of things, to someone with their first unique and have found a hitchance only unique, great, but there is more to be considered.

EDIT: Anyone with experience in looking at unis and being in chat can surely differentiate, but an inexperienced person with their first uni, not so much.

Edited by MW3ProPiper, 16 November 2015 - 11:51 PM.

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

Level of the player is hardly what matters here, I just look at the stats of a unique based on the % increases on the bottom, this indicates rarity and the practical usage applications.

From those I derive the "value" of an item on the grand scheme of things, to someone with their first unique and have found a hitchance only unique, great, but there is more to be considered.

EDIT: Anyone with experience in looking at unis and being in chat can surely differentiate, but an inexperienced person with their first uni, not so much.

Still no.  PRICES DON'T EXIST.

What you are figuring is a theoretical price most often paid by the "5%" of wealthy gamers.  It is not a game reality.  I appreciate you're just trying to help folks out'; I've done the same myself.  But it stands in the way both of the op here getting their trade on, and in the way of their feeling good about their find.  Just because the uni isn't good fur us doesn't make it "Bad" or "Disguised inf comps".

Here's another way to say it: we may know the values of things we like to trade in, but we have no idea the values at the low end of the scale.  We'd never bother trading a uni pistol for 5 IC or 7 or 1000 wood or whatever.  Because its not worth the fuel.  TO US.  Not so for a new player with their first uni.  We just don't happen to have rubric for that part of the "pricing" scale.  It would help the game a lot if we stopped trying to tell these players their finds have no value when we just plain don't know.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

-snip-

Not talking about prices here, sorry about any misunderstanding.

I'm talking about the flat out quality of how good a uni actually is, in the eyes of the experienced people of chat.

What you are missing is that we provide feedback on it. If it's good for a newb, great, but to be good/bad in trade there is a reason behind it. This is on the performance of the uni, not even the rarity at this point (rarity is for prices, and the best items tend to be rare).

The experienced know more, they can tell you why a uni is what it is; there's a huge range of stats and places where a unique can fall in relation to others, now we pinpoint it. If you are comparing with items of different quality, then of course a lot of the time, it's a black and white situation.