Photo

Second Wave Difficulty

balancing Island

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 102 posts

Just wanted to check with you Forumites what you think of the new Herc stages on the island.

Personally I think it's a bit rough. Tried it with an account decently equipped that could clear the island before.

The funny thing is I can beat the last of the New herc stages (which is supposed to be the hardest right?) but I can't beat the first or the second one since they force you into head to head combat with up to 6 Herc multiple times.

There is no way to be sneaky about it at least not any way that wont take even more time.

Just to illustrate the ammount of herc you need to plow through on the first stage I got to the last section and had to just run with the last seconds to get a survivor into the green when time ran out. At that point I had skipped around 7 herc soldiers and still got 281,786 xp without any books used for experience. This was the variant with the generators I believe (or whatever it is you destroy).

I don't mind the difficulty really I just think it should scale with the levels not start off with the hardest and get easier :p

treemaster

treemaster
  • 121 posts

The first and second stages arent actually to hard if you have fighters. If you are struggling in the head to heads, just throw a smoke and then postion your survivors so your fighters will be hit first. It is a lot more time consuming but there should be enough time to do so or you can use some of the new smoke that takes less time to disappear

NightmareRaven

NightmareRaven
  • 106 posts

I can only say anything about the monument variant, because it was the only one I got so far, and honestly I found it very easy: the spots where the HERCs are placed are predictable; they don't have much range; their weapons deal low dmg; and there is no herc mine. But this is very much what make the Island easy as a whole. I was going to upload the video I recorded of my first attempt, which I finished with 2 mins left, but I couldn't open the video on windows video maker to cut it. It were more than 2GB, so no deal. 

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

The hardest part of the new maps is that they're new, and you/we don't have the locations memorized.

On the first day of the new maps I got mauled on the new monument map -- what some people are saying is the new "hard" map.

Yesterday I got that exact same map, for only the second time and i beat it without significant injury with just under a min to spare.   I did miss one of the comm hubs though, and didn't have time to go back for it.

With practice I have no doubt I"ll beat that map, as well as the other new maps, without a problem -- and I'm far from the best raider by any measure.

---

What makes the island so hard (and frustrating) to some people is that you only get one shot at it per day - at least if you only have one account.   When you combine that with multiple map variants you might only get a "second chance" at a particular map once a week (or less even).

Once a week can be very hard to "practice" with, unless you have the will/determination to keep trying.

Salacious

Salacious
  • 68 posts

I can only say anything about the monument variant, because it was the only one I got so far, and honestly I found it very easy: the spots where the HERCs are placed are predictable; they don't have much range; their weapons deal low dmg; and there is no herc mine. But this is very much what make the Island easy as a whole. I was going to upload the video I recorded of my first attempt, which I finished with 2 mins left, but I couldn't open the video on windows video maker to cut it. It were more than 2GB, so no deal. 

Use Handbrake.

NightmareRaven

NightmareRaven
  • 106 posts

Use Handbrake.

The video don't need conversion to another format, it's already on mp4. The problem is that Hypercam 2 saves the video with a huge size, then i need to open it on a video editor to save it with a smaller size.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balancing, Island