Infected compound attacks idea

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus
  • 13 posts

Deadzone Deadmen Compound Defense:

-Group of bandits that found your place worth raiding

-Instead of defending against infected hordes, the player now faces an AI raider

-Chance to be attacked by the bandits instead of the infected horde

-Able to carry and use firearms, and shoots once in range of defenders

-Combines the infected AI of charging the player until they come within attacking range, and the survivor AI of being able to shoot, reload, etc.

Extra Stuff:

-Uses multiple types of weapons; melee, pistols, AR's, (S/L)MG's, and long rifles

-Once fired upon all attackers currently on screen stop charging and start shooting (except for melee bandits, while any newly spawned ones continue to charge

-Having different classes such as:

-Marauder-Equivalent to a fighter and scavenger combined, has high damage resistance

-Sharpshooter-Equivalent to a recon, avoids traps, high damage resistance

-Mercenary-Equivalent to a leader, avoids traps, searches for cover when shot at, damage and range boost, high damage resistance

Reasons:

-Since there are a lot of players that find the infected attacks on the compound somewhat meaningless and a waste of time, this would be a good way to make the compound defenses more interactive and entertaining

-Help with defensive strategy planning

-True test(to an extent) against a superior force, since zombies are too easy

-Not every survivors decides to band together with smiles and greeting in order to benefit the greater good, some just want to rule with fear and violence, and have always been neglected like they don't even exist.

Other Topics:

http://forum.conarti...ones-and-items/

http://forum.conarti...tems-christmas/

Edited by Sarcosuchus, 16 January 2016 - 11:08 PM.

colinofthelees

colinofthelees
  • 14 posts

Hey Sarcosuchus, fancy seeing you here! 

I personally like this idea, I've contemplated something like this before but never put as much thought into it as you have. It may need tweaking, but it would definitely spice up the game.

Buue

Buue
  • 657 posts

Have any of you two even raided before? Have you seen the AI of survivors and HERCs? This is meaningless, infected attacks are boring, but they are better than this.

-Able to carry and use firearms, and shoots once in range of defenders

Extra Stuff:

-Uses multiple types of weapons; melee, pistols, AR's, (S/L)MG's, and long rifles

-Once fired upon all attackers currently on screen stop charging and start shooting (except for melee bandits, while any newly spawned ones continue to charge

-Having different classes such as:

-Marauder-Equivalent to a fighter and scavenger combined, has high damage resistance

-Sharpshooter-Equivalent to a recon, avoids traps, high damage resistance

-Mercenary-Equivalent to a leader, avoids traps, searches for cover when shot at, damage and range boost, high damage resistance

Reasons:

-Since there are a lot of players that find the infected attacks on the compound somewhat meaningless and a waste of time, this would be a good way to make the compound defenses more interactive and entertaining

-Help with defensive strategy planning

-True test(to an extent) against a superior force, since zombies are too easy

-Not every survivors decides to band together with smiles and greeting in order to benefit the greater good, some just want to rule with fear and violence, and have always been neglected like they don't even exist.

1. With the exceptional range of top raiders, the bandits will die before shooting twice

2. Only thing that is used in range is LRs, others don't have enough effective range for any meaningful damage

3. "-Able to carry and use firearms, and shoots once in range of defenders" go to number 1, but change shooting to stepping

4. Want AI survivors? Practice raid, PvP, and the island is already good enough

5."-Not every survivors decides to band together with smiles and greeting in order to benefit the greater good, some just want to rule with fear and violence, and have always been neglected like they don't even exist." We have griefers and war alliances, those are already the survivors that don't want to team up with you.

Edited by SpicyBlobs, 15 January 2016 - 02:19 AM.

colinofthelees

colinofthelees
  • 14 posts

Have any of you two even raided before? Have you seen the AI of survivors and HERCs? This is meaningless, infected attacks are boring, but they are better than this.

Yes, I have played this game on two different accounts since its release. I just think it would add something different to the table, especially if you could get more experience from them.

Thee_Aj

Thee_Aj
  • 31 posts

Pretty nice idea. It would seem fun to see how well ur pound would defend against bandits lol. Nice Idea! 

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones
  • 242 posts

I like this idea and id even go as far as to suggest being able to loot the bandits that attack you once they are downed. +1

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

I like this idea and id even go as far as to suggest being able to loot the bandits that attack you once they are downed. +1

Isn't that the entire point of PVP?

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 714 posts

To make up for the fact that LRs are like the only thing used in defense, bandits could have much higher health, or at least some types of them could have long rifle damage resistance.

I'd love to see bandits attack you while you're on missions as well.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,179 posts

The AI is too stupid to make a competent raider. At best it would stay behind the starting cover and not move.

At worst it would move into open ground and get cut to ribbons.

Ronan

Ronan
  • 210 posts

The AI is too stupid to make a competent raider. At best it would stay behind the starting cover and not move.

I have the very same thought. The current AI only makes the zeds to move, and they have... stupid zed movements, because that's what they are. For the alternative enemies known as hercs on the Island, they never move. In raids, defenders never moves. Implementing a virtual raider would require a huge work of programing.

But you can still replace quality by quantity, sending a lot of virtual survivors in the open can still make a challenge (especially with guns). But to speak frankly, I really doubt that if this kind of feature were to be implemented it would be well balanced. The devs had already had some problems to set up balanced berserker infected in the last Halloween event, the game was unplayable for so many people, they had to nerf. Here, infected attacks are already quite a pain for many players (for different reasons). Moreover, it was already pointed out that defending against infected or raiders requires different layouts, and because you can only set one, you have to manually change it each time. Adding another kind of attackers is a risk to force players to adopt a particular defensive layout (same as the new Island maps, reduced our possibilities in the team composition), that might not be directly accessible to everybody.

Edited by Ronan, 16 January 2016 - 12:19 PM.

Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus
  • 13 posts

1. With the exceptional range of top raiders, the bandits will die before shooting twice

2. Only thing that is used in range is LRs, others don't have enough effective range for any meaningful damage

3. "-Able to carry and use firearms, and shoots once in range of defenders" go to number 1, but change shooting to stepping

4. Want AI survivors? Practice raid, PvP, and the island is already good enough

5."-Not every survivors decides to band together with smiles and greeting in order to benefit the greater good, some just want to rule with fear and violence, and have always been neglected like they don't even exist." We have griefers and war alliances, those are already the survivors that don't want to team up with you.

1-I have raided before

2-It's not the typical 10 vs 5 player raid, its 10 vs "x"

3-With the right guns a 5 survivor team can kill 10 defenders, but when there's say 30 guys shooting at once from all directions then you're bound to be supressed and as they get closer you'll die, regardless of minimal damage or not.

4-I'm not at the level for island yet, but I know that only a few HERC are able to shoot at you at once, unless you're stupid and try to run through them all

5-That last part was supposed to be a little joke you're supposed to take lightly

6-Everything is about long rifles, I don't have DMU and don't have a lot of experience using super range boosted guns either, maybe making it so that the range of the bandits' guns could rival the player's?

7-Not moving doesn't equal not shooting

8-Part of the idea is to make it a little more fun to watch and play

9-Please refer to points 2 and 3

I have the very same thought. The current AI only makes the zeds to move, and they have... stupid zed movements, because that's what they are. For the alternative enemies known as hercs on the Island, they never move. In raids, defenders never moves. Implementing a virtual raider would require a huge work of programing.

But you can still replace quality by quantity, sending a lot of virtual survivors in the open can still make a challenge (especially with guns). But to speak frankly, I really doubt that if this kind of feature were to be implemented it would be well balanced. The devs had already had some problems to set up balanced berserker infected in the last Halloween event, the game was unplayable for so many people, they had to nerf. Here, infected attacks are already quite a pain for many players (for different reasons). Moreover, it was already pointed out that defending against infected or raiders requires different layouts, and because you can only set one, you have to manually change it each time. Adding another kind of attackers is a risk to force players to adopt a particular defensive layout (same as the new Island maps, reduced our possibilities in the team composition), that might not be directly accessible to everybody.

10-That's why I said that a combination of parts of the infected AI and parts of the survivor AI would have to implemented

11-The only thing wrong with the Berserkers is that people were complaining that they were too hard, sure I got my team trashed 2/5 of the time, but people just like to have every stand there and shoot while the scavenger whistles along looking through crates, manual mission=manual play, and the Berserkers increased the required amount of manual play in order to get past a mission. Also, some people have their gunmen follow there scavenger which is actually a very bad idea since it can lead to being surrounded or ambushed, there are specific spots in each mission map that greatly improve the survival rate of survivors.

12-People natural adapt to things that help them, like the introduction of new armors and weapons, and naturally tend to dislike things that force them to change their current ways, pressuring them to adapt to the new situation and if they can't then their survivors die.

13-I use the same layout for both infected attacks and raids and do pretty well, I can defend from an infected attack with just 5 people at home

Edited by Sarcosuchus, 18 January 2016 - 01:15 AM.

aurara

aurara
  • 88 posts

I like the idea of changing up Infected Compound Attacks, but the Dev's have posted in previous forums that they just don't have the AI for what your asking or anything involving enemies that shoot back during the attacks. 

Going off of this idea of changing up the compound attacks, what I'd like to see involves a random chance of a huge "Zed Boss" that would attack your compound instead of the hordes.  This enemy would be immune to damage from the front and do massive damage to compound defenses.  To kill it, you'd need a survivor with a melee to "taunt" it and drag it around the compound through taps and into range of survivors that can attack it from behind.  If you kill it, you'd loot it and its bloated stomach would contain some loot from Herc and other survivors that it'd eaten.  Probably only happen at max level for a challenge and to offset the lack of xp gained.

Ronan

Ronan
  • 210 posts

10-That's why I said that a combination of parts of the infected AI and parts of the survivor AI would have to implemented

11-The only thing wrong with the Berserkers is that people were complaining that they were too hard, sure I got my team trashed 2/5 of the time, but people just like to have every stand there and shoot while the scavenger whistles along looking through crates, manual mission=manual play, and the Berserkers increased the required amount of manual play in order to get past a mission. Also, some people have their gunmen follow there scavenger which is actually a very bad idea since it can lead to being surrounded or ambushed, there are specific spots in each mission map that greatly improve the survival rate of survivors.

12-People natural adapt to things that help them, like the introduction of new armors and weapons, and naturally tend to dislike things that force them to change their current ways, pressuring them to adapt to the new situation and if they can't then their survivors die.

13-I use the same layout for both infected attacks and raids and do pretty well, I can defend from an infected attack with just 5 people at home

14-For crying out loud it's a zombie apocalypse, you risk your stinkin' hide where-ever you go, whether it be manual missions, raids, auto missions, or just staying back 'till someone attacks you.

10 - This single point is the reason why the whole thing would be difficult to implement.

11 - I doubt you really understood the problem everybody had with berserkers. My personnal problem was not at all what you described but the fact that berserkers in rushes had their huge attack power combined with a strong covering protection that removed their balancing weakness. I could run all over the map and scatter survivors, use baits and so on, there were way too many casualties.

12 - Another big sentence, forgetting this is just gameplay we are talking about... The idea to adapt a situation using different gears and weapons is a valuable feature of a game, but I was pointing out that in this game, many updates lead to the contrary. Raiding ? use long rifles. Defending ? ok there is more freedom on that point, but long rifles, RPK and miniguns are a standard. The Island ? there is still several choices but provided some materials. My personal experience is that there is only one team composition that works with my current level of weaponery.

13 - Once again, your personal example is just a data for feedback, not the global feeling.

14 - I dont even see what's the point of this.

Because it seems difficult to understand my personal point of view concerning your idea, I'll sum it up here. I would be very happy to see something else than infected in the defending phases, but the past experience of this game's updates lead me to believe that would not be well implemented, in particular leading to annoying layout manual changes or forcing a predetermined effective defensive layout.

Edited by Ronan, 17 January 2016 - 11:31 AM.

Sarcosuchus

Sarcosuchus
  • 13 posts

10 - This single point is the reason why the whole thing would be difficult to implement.

11 - I doubt you really understood the problem everybody had with berserkers. My personnal problem was not at all what you described but the fact that berserkers in rushes had their huge attack power combined with a strong covering protection that removed their balancing weakness. I could run all over the map and scatter survivors, use baits and so on, there were way too many casualties.

12 - Another big sentence, forgetting this is just gameplay we are talking about... The idea to adapt a situation using different gears and weapons is a valuable feature of a game, but I was pointing out that in this game, many updates lead to the contrary. Raiding ? use long rifles. Defending ? ok there is more freedom on that point, but long rifles, RPK and miniguns are a standard. The Island ? there is still several choices but provided some materials. My personal experience is that there is only one team composition that works with my current level of weaponery.

13 - Once again, your personal example is just a data for feedback, not the global feeling.

14 - I dont even see what's the point of this.

Because it seems difficult to understand my personal point of view concerning your idea, I'll sum it up here. I would be very happy to see something else than infected in the defending phases, but the past experience of this game's updates lead me to believe that would not be well implemented, in particular leading to annoying layout manual changes or forcing a predetermined effective defensive layout.

10-I already know it would be hard to implement, that's why it's under the ideas section, and there is still that microscopic chance; Can I have some more constructive feedback?

11-First of all, don't scatter your survivors and run all across the map, especially during a rush. Second, there's a certain way to use the bait tactic that doesn't get you killed 90% of the time. Third, you said that you doubt I would understand the problem everyone had with the Berserkers, yet you use a personnel example.

12-I don't have any RPKs of miniguns, so saying it's a standard only applies to players within specific level boundaries

13-You're saying that my 1 opinion does not justify that of the majority and I know that, yet you use your personal examples and opinions in points 11,12, and 14

14-This is just a fun idea to make the game more exciting, if Con doesn't put it in, then Con doesn't put it in. (And yes the previous number 14 was a bit pointless)

15-If you're happy to see something else other than the infected attacks then put up your own idea, or give others some constructive pointers to come up with more ideas. There's no predetermined layout that you must go to. The majority of layouts used are used because they have already been proven to be effective against certain situations, it doesn't mean that there isn't an even more effective one.

Edited by Sarcosuchus, 18 January 2016 - 01:15 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Infected, compound, attacks, idea