Photo

Dogs For Survivors

survivors dogs compounds items

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

88mike79

88mike79
  • 12 posts

ive looked through the forums here and havent seen this idea but i like the idea of having dogs for the survivors. they could be an item the gives you a dog to follow you around. or extra survivors to fill in those empty slots. or even a bulding added to the compound so that youd have dogs to help protect your base of operations. there could be a level system just like items, buildings or characters depending on how you wanted to implement them. but ideally in the zombie apocalypse i would sure love to have a dog or 2 for so many reasons.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

I can't really see any gameplay niche to fill with these, but they would be nice as cosmetic items for the compound.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

ive looked through the forums here and havent seen this idea but i like the idea of having dogs for the survivors. they could be an item the gives you a dog to follow you around. or extra survivors to fill in those empty slots. or even a bulding added to the compound so that youd have dogs to help protect your base of operations. there could be a level system just like items, buildings or characters depending on how you wanted to implement them. but ideally in the zombie apocalypse i would sure love to have a dog or 2 for so many reasons.

You can't have been looking very hard.

http://forum.conarti...k-dogs/?hl=dogs

http://forum.conarti...-npcs/?p=100832

http://forum.conarti...on-dog/?hl=dogs

http://forum.conarti...tchdog/?p=85902

I could keep going, when looking in the search bar for "dogs" (within the Idea subforum) there are only 79 results

IgorC

IgorC
  • 191 posts

I lost track on how many times this idea have been discussed not only here, but also in the games chat.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones
  • 242 posts

I couldn't see this as something to bring on missions but maybe some kind of trap? other than that there is no use for dogs

88mike79

88mike79
  • 12 posts

anyone who says there is no use for dogs has no clue how useful dogs are to society. without dogs there would be no society. they provide the best warning system against intruders, human and otherwise. they are better at finding edible food than humans are. small breeds are good at finding small game, large breeds can knock over the largest of men, or zombies with ease. dogs when trained to can detect illnesses and disease. they would be great to increase the comfort rating of the compound. i mean honestly id rather have a few dogs as companions than a few people in many cases. and as far as taking them on missions, how many times have you been in the red and not been able to withstand another rush. you send your dog out to run in circles while your medic heals you and the zombies chase the dogs in futility.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

anyone who says there is no use for dogs has no clue how useful dogs are to society. without dogs there would be no society. they provide the best warning system against intruders, human and otherwise. they are better at finding edible food than humans are. small breeds are good at finding small game, large breeds can knock over the largest of men, or zombies with ease. dogs when trained to can detect illnesses and disease. they would be great to increase the comfort rating of the compound. i mean honestly id rather have a few dogs as companions than a few people in many cases. and as far as taking them on missions, how many times have you been in the red and not been able to withstand another rush. you send your dog out to run in circles while your medic heals you and the zombies chase the dogs in futility.

Utter tripe.

The game has been going for 3 years. How many dogs would have changed from being domestic, to feral and then domestic again?

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones
  • 242 posts

i am not saying dogs arent helpful to society. Im saying that they wouldnt replace anything that survivors can already do (in the game). and it would probably be complicated animation and coding to add them to the game with all the things that you think they should be able to do. and for the zombies chasing the dog during rushes, I can do that with my scavenger.

Edited by Andrew Jones, 21 January 2016 - 10:14 PM.

Coyote

Coyote
  • 11 posts

Dogs could be useful in that they could attack while your character is reloading; they could give a warning a few seconds before zombies appear, maybe face towards which spawn point they'd mostly be coming from-- say that it was their scent or hearing that tipped them off before the Z's arrive. They could act really antsy and nervous a few seconds before a Zombie Rush happens, allowing survivors to take cover.

Of course a barking dog would also negate stealth advantages if a party is trying to move silently. It could be considered "equipment" and made optional for a raid.

To make things really interesting (and complex) you could have dogs reflect different character classes, too:

An attack dog that protects the owner while they reload-- high hit points, deals good damage, not too fast. These would be good companions to not just fighters, but folks like the Medic and Engineer who are slower to reload and don't have as many hit points.

A guard dog that sniffs out or hears Z's before they arrive, and give the owner time to prepare. These would be good for Recons. These dogs might also be trained to sniff out explosive traps, like real Military Working Dogs.

A search dog that helps Scavengers find items, maybe giving a + to Search at different levels. These could be dogs that used to work for police and airport security, sniffing out guns, drugs, etc. A non-Scavenger Leader could use one of these as well, to boost Search when a Scavenger isn't around for whatever reason. Bot you couldn't use a dog to replace a Scavenger on a party; the dog couldn't retrieve items, just find them.

The problem is, this could add a lot of complex coding to the game that would mostly give modest advantages and maybe some "flavor".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: survivors, dogs, compounds, items