Photo

Shield Weapons Suggestion

shield melee weapons crafting engineer leader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Edgar V

Edgar V
  • 122 posts

First of all, this is totally a different idea from the one suggested by Hyunwoo, but I should thank him for making me think about this… This is actually an idea that I had for a time ago, but cause of lack of time, I didn’t post it before…

I know that many people have been asking for both shields (either as active and/or passive gears, or weapons with new stats or new attachments, which I think it’s too much) and improvements on the gameplay, especially involving engineers,  so I decided to share this idea of mine with you.

How about make Shield weapons, like The Crucifix & Protector, and the Ticket to Valhalla (just as Hyunwoo said), since those weapons are the only shield-like items in the game? And honestly, I’m a big fan of shields and medieval-like weapons (not a fan of Captain America and his shield tough), so that’s one of the reasons why I’m suggesting this.

But here is the trick: Implement these new weapons as Improvised weapons only usable by leaders/engineers… And that’s not everything; these weapons could also be crafted only, using some other weapons previously used as a base material (with some other requirements of course). But why only leader and engineers?  Well, I’ve got some reasons here:

1. This would make engineers more valuable in certain situations to players, as I’ve read that many complain of them since they feel engineers as “useless”.
  2. This would add some variety in the actual “game market” (or better said the Uni LR trade center). Especially since these weapons would be only available through crafting.
  3. It may also bring us some variety on the gameplay, as there could be a need of more complex strategies when facing either infected, HERC or even other players.

With all this said, I would like to explain how these weapons will work:

1. I’ve chosen some blunt weapons from different levels as base materials, since they can be found during missions. The reason is, since they share the same short range as melee weapons (especially those that are “one-handed”), and their low damage, fairly decent APS and high knockback will help with the intention of this idea.
  2. Instead of inventing new attachments and/or giving them OP stats out from nowhere, I decided to use some of the examples from the previously mentioned weapons, keeping some of their stats while they are not either OP or unbalanced for gameplay.
  3. Like the other shiled-weapons mentioned before, these new weapons should have a certain percent of melee and injury resistance, since they will be used mainly as “tanking weapons”.

Of course, after checking other weapons I have in mind to use as base to make them, some will need some rebalancing, so I’m working on it to help the devs in anything is possible.

I’m gonna add more info later, I’ll just let this here for the community and the devs to read, thank you so much :)

Edited by Edgar V, 02 March 2016 - 07:41 PM.

Bieroholiker

Bieroholiker
  • 68 posts

"Implement these new weapons as Improvised weapons only usable by leaders/engineers"
This could be done since we have some class specific weapons, that can be used only by few. (like the minigun)

"These weapons could also be crafted only, using some other weapons previously used as a base material (with some other requirements of course)"

Yes...some new improvised weapons would be nice. But it will be hard with the base material. You can make a 'base' from a sledge hammer for example (just like the pick hammer). And then you can improve this weapon with more add ons (like  the balancing thumbing pick hammer) But I would acctually prefer a 50+ variation, so the question is what base to use? It could be a lower level but then you have to find it, craft 2-3 upgrades until it is fine.

But yes, of course it should be craftable only (few long blades, hardened metal, metal plate, metal spike?, something like that - I would like to see a selfmade one handed axe - for I think it will be the most usefull)

"Like the other shiled-weapons mentioned before, these new weapons should have a certain percent of melee and injury resistance, since they will be used mainly as tanking weapons"

Agreed, this is the whole point of the shield, so it have to reduce the injury chance, maybe supression and of course increase the melee resistance.

"Instead of inventing new attachments and/or giving them OP stats out from nowhere, I decided to use some of the examples from the previously mentioned weapons, keeping some of their stats" 
Have yo disagree on this one. Just imagine you found a good melee, you craft your shield weapon and you are happy with it. But the next day you find a weapon with better stats and now you want to make a better one. Few days after again. This can go like this for a time. So I think ist better when we have the stats given from above. I think its also easier to add this to the game than with keeping the previos ones.

And something I like to add. Since there are a weapon and a shield, how about 2 crafting kits you can add? One for the weapon (Attack Kit) and one for the shield (Injury Kit)

Edgar V

Edgar V
  • 122 posts

First of all, thanks for replying lol

Yes...some new improvised weapons would be nice. But it will be hard with the base material. You can make a 'base' from a sledge hammer for example (just like the pick hammer). And then you can improve this weapon with more add ons (like  the balancing thumbing pick hammer) But I would acctually prefer a 50+ variation, so the question is what base to use? It could be a lower level but then you have to find it, craft 2-3 upgrades until it is fine.

But yes, of course it should be craftable only (few long blades, hardened metal, metal plate, metal spike?, something like that - I would like to see a selfmade one handed axe - for I think it will be the most usefull)

I've thought about the hammer, crowbar, baton, lead pipe and the tire Iron, since these are like "1-h" weapons. Also because they all are blunt weps, so they will have some nice KB%, even if the dmg is low (e.g. baton)

Have yo disagree on this one. Just imagine you found a good melee, you craft your shield weapon and you are happy with it. But the next day you find a weapon with better stats and now you want to make a better one. Few days after again. This can go like this for a time. So I think ist better when we have the stats given from above. I think its also easier to add this to the game than with keeping the previos ones.

By their stats I mean Injury res and melee res from the old shields, of course the base stats of the weapons used should be rebalanced, in fact i was trying to find a way to do this, because if they keep the same dmg, even at high lvls the dps is just very low, compared to other melees (even lower than a wakizashi)

And something I like to add. Since there are a weapon and a shield, how about 2 crafting kits you can add? One for the weapon (Attack Kit) and one for the shield (Injury Kit)

Technically, since they will be weapons, they will only use one slot, so I guess there is no need for a second crafting kit, also, that would make these weps OP.

Edited by Edgar V, 04 March 2016 - 08:14 PM.

Bieroholiker

Bieroholiker
  • 68 posts

By their stats I mean Injury res and melee res from the old shields, of course the base stats of the weapons used should be rebalanced, in fact i was trying to find a way to do this, because if they keep the same dmg, even at high lvls the dps is just very low, compared to other melees (even lower than a wakizashi)

This could be done...but just like you say, the dps would be terrible. So I see 2 ways out.

1. There will be new melee weapons (especially 1 handed) for high lvl survivors - this is doubtfull.

2. We craft the shielded weapon from 'zero'. Much easier to make/code/add to the game. (weapon hadle, long blade, hardened metal, treated wood, spikes, chains, etc.) I think this is more likely to happen.

I found this little gem...maybe a good idea. Blunt, good KG%, self-made

http://9gag.com/gag/aeGZjdW

Edited by Bieroholiker, 06 March 2016 - 07:34 PM.

HerreraV

HerreraV
  • 28 posts

This would be good idea https://en.wikipedia...allistic_shield

Ballistic Shield, equip together a pistol. 

longorjames

longorjames
  • 210 posts

I was thinking of a Riot shield, a big two handed shield. Would be like the old battering ram weapon. Would have a slightly faster attacking speed, high 70-99% knock back. 

Stats could give ballistic and melee resistance, health, and injury chance resistance. Basically just make it a tanking item. Wouldn't do as much damage as much as the swords or sledge hammers though.

Basically make a fighter hold the shield walk up grab the attention of Herc soldiers and they would all fire at him, then use a scout with a long rifle or another fighter with a light machine gun with long range shoot the enemies. 

Also with the elite infected around, maybe have the shield person attract the elite's attention while everyone shoot the zombie in the back or get a long range melee guy poke the zombie with literally a 4 ft pole/sledge hammer xD 

Edited by longorjames, 27 June 2016 - 04:27 AM.

longorjames

longorjames
  • 210 posts

This would be good idea https://en.wikipedia...allistic_shield

Ballistic Shield, equip together a pistol. 

mmm sounds like rainbow six stuff.

Troublemaker

Troublemaker
  • 153 posts

These may be produced as one-piece item: "riot police kit" (riot shield+melee/blunt), "anti-terror kit" (ballistic shield+pistol/PDW/AR) - some shield + some weapon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shield, melee, weapons, crafting, engineer, leader