Photo

Masks

Crafting masks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Masks look cool, and some of the work that's obviously gone into them is sadly missed when you weigh up the stats; a general 7.5/7.5 to to the Clown/Ballistic +10%, meaning you aren't likely to set out with one of the cool ones you might find in a box, as opposed to the more functional ones available in the store or occasionally as a reward for a task. 

This seems a shame. Masks we have seen over the years such as the white Hand, Mauler's Mask, Sentinel, The Tiger, etc, look seriously cool, and it be more than excellent if there could be someway to up them to the 10% suppression bonus. I've suggested a few ideas in the oddities thread, but the last boxes containing the base +10% Black Widow/Stitch etc masks got me wondering. 

*Simply nerf all the box/seasonal 7.5% masks to 10% suppression only affairs

*Enable some crafting option to achieve this; thus enabling our favourite masks to end up with the basic suppression stat

*Or some some further crafting option enabling some possibility of potentially just a bit more akin to the masks we are are finding on the island which to be frank don't look so cool

*Nerf all box/seasonal 7.5% masks so they are upgradable, to something thing like 12.5%/12.5%; unlike the basic 10% masks you can buy in the store. However subtle, it's still an attractive option requiring some effort to put into. Perhaps it might require levels of research bench as well to achieve. 

And you can only get the base inferior unit from boxes requiring premiums to open, so Con wins getting people to open them, or trade hard for them, and the bonus is subtle, so it couldn't be accused of being wallet warrior or however challenged people describe gameplay and effort. Maybe my 12.5 is to lax and 15%. Who knows

But what it would do is give people who favour certain masks a real reason to use, collect, and develop them. I would would love my White Hands to be just a bit more

Thoughts? 

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

Problem with this is that there are roughly 40 masks at this point, we'd have to add schematics for all of them, not just your personal preferences :)

I'm also a bit hesitant to push the suppression resistance higher than it is currently, not really sure how much of an impact it's having on raids and against HERC at the higher ends of the existing masks / helmets.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Problem with this is that there are roughly 40 masks at this point, we'd have to add schematics for all of them, not just your personal preferences :)

Ok I figured it could be done somehow generically for all of them. Guess not. That's a shame.

Would it shag the economy if they were all nerfed to 10% suppression only, dropping the injury stat? 

Also, I guess as a DMU player would this affect non-DMU players, however subtly that bonus? Injuries for me are meaningless if I can get through missions/raids.

So perhaps, release them out as 10% suppression only one offs in the future? I'm pretty much with you on not pushing suppression any higher to be honest; that was just a random suggestion. 

treemaster

treemaster
  • 121 posts

Do people still use masks at high levels ? I personally haven't used one on my lv 55 accounts for a while .

IgorC

IgorC
  • 191 posts

I imagine this must be a problem to conciliate usefulnes and looks when raiding. I dont have such problem being exclusively a looter. I love the scouting shroud and i can say, its stats are very outdated, the recon breather and herc gas mask are no better. I dont know the impacts of lacking good supression resistance when raiding, but i woudnt trade my poor stat masks for good ones even if i was a raider, and maybe thatd be the hard way, and another raider as skillful as i would have and advantage over me, and be favoured in most situations.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Other games have an "appearance slot" where a player could place a piece of gear (irrespective of stats) and the character would visibly show one piece of gear meanwhile in the "gear slot" all bonuses from a gear would be applied.

Still other games allow players to "stitch" one piece of gear to another, so that they can obtain the "look" they want with the gear they want to use.

---

With the clothing update Con has started down the "appearance slot" route.   All he would need to do (I think) would be to add a clothing slot for the head.   A player could then place a mask in the clothing slot for the head with the desired look, and it would override the appearance of the masks/hats he was using for their bonuses.  Any stats on the mask in the clothing slot would not be applied.

As to how feasible that is, I have no idea.

Edited by Zingman, 23 March 2016 - 07:59 PM.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Interesting food for thought Zingman

IgorC

IgorC
  • 191 posts

Other games have an "appearance slot" where a player could place a piece of gear (irrespective of stats) and the character would visibly show one piece of gear meanwhile in the "gear slot" all bonuses from a gear would be applied.

Still other games allow players to "stitch" one piece of gear to another, so that they can obtain the "look" they want with the gear they want to use.

---

With the clothing update Con has started down the "appearance slot" route.   All he would need to do (I think) would be to add a clothing slot for the head.   A player could then place a mask in the clothing slot for the head with the desired look, and it would override the appearance of the masks/hats he was using for their bonuses.  Any stats on the mask in the clothing slot would not be applied.

I dont know how complicated it is to do such thing, ive seen such system in DC universe online and i loved it. On the other hand, it would cut a bit of the realism, but i really dont mind, i loved the hide gear option, would love this one too.

Con

Con
  • 4,275 posts

---

You're basically talking about the Diablo 3 transmogrification system. It could work for us, but it's a whole other interface and system and we'd have to assign costs and have an in fiction reason for it and store data on all the individual items you change and add limitations and restrictions on what you can change things to and and and...

It's a lot of work, it also undercuts our "hey find stuff you want" loop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crafting, masks