Question: Granades On Compound Defence

Grenade Compound Defence Disabled

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cerberus

Cerberus
  • 14 posts

Hello!

Posting this since searching grenade and disabled yielded no useful answers.

As per the title, what are the reasons why grenades are disabled for the defenders?

-Thanks!

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

The AI isn't intelligent enough to use them.   You could use them versus zeds, but that would be be a waste.

Cerberus

Cerberus
  • 14 posts

The AI isn't intelligent enough to use them.   You could use them versus zeds, but that would be be a waste.

Really? No way!

Is anyone able to verify this?

Surely this can't be the reason...?!

The AI automatically shoots when you move into effective range, why can't they throw grenades when raiders enter the Throw + Explosion radii?

Thanks for the input!

Cybertraxx

Cybertraxx
  • 281 posts

Really? No way!

Is anyone able to verify this?

Surely this can't be the reason...?!

The AI automatically shoots when you move into effective range, why can't they throw grenades when raiders enter the Throw + Explosion radii?

Thanks for the input!

Zingman is correct, the same goes for why medics can't heal themselves as defenders of a raid.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

The AI is extremely dumb at times.

It doesn't understand the concept of cover.   If you attack a previously raided compound, where the barricades that the defending survivors are set upon are destroyed, they will appear in the same location (without cover) and will not move to the nearest available cover, it will keep them out in the open for an easy defeat.

You can pick off defending survivors one at a time because the AI will not move non-engaged defenders to support ones that are being attacked. 

Like Cybertraxx said, the AI does not understand the concept of healing.

The only time the AI will actually move a defender is if the defending survivor has melee equipped,  In that case it will do a suicidal banzai charge into you guns.

Edited by Zingman, 02 May 2016 - 06:04 AM.

Ronan

Ronan
  • 210 posts

I just see the situation in which the raider forces the AI to throw a grenade on other defenders. That would be a pretty effective self destruction process.

Cerberus

Cerberus
  • 14 posts

The only time the AI will actually move a defender is if the defending survivor has melee equipped,  In that case it will do a suicidal banzai charge into you guns.

lol I've seen that few too many times...

Yeah okay, but having them throw grenades would balance things out a little, giving the defenders the same tools the attacker has...

I just see the situation in which the raider forces the AI to throw a grenade on other defenders. That would be a pretty effective self destruction process.

I had more corner/LoS nading balance in mind - if you can throw nades at my survivors, they should be able to throw nades back too, I feel it's a balance issue that needs addressing.

-Thanks for the feedback, you're all awesome!

edit: double quote?! whaaa!? xD

Edited by Cerberus, 02 May 2016 - 09:53 AM.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Using a players "stock" of grenades when they have no control over it would cause a lot of complaints. 

If you are raided once, that could mean up to 20 grenades gone from your inventory when you have no choice in the matter.

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 715 posts

Hence the need for active player vs player, but that will never happen in the game's current state (hence the need for either a standalone game on steam or just downloadable, or a switch to unity).

Honestly the best you can do is get 70% projectile armor and uni long rifles with range, (sometimes assault rifles if you've got a 35+ those work good) there isn't anything else to be done about it. I really hope con focuses on this at some point. 

Cerberus

Cerberus
  • 14 posts

Using a players "stock" of grenades when they have no control over it would cause a lot of complaints. 

If you are raided once, that could mean up to 20 grenades gone from your inventory when you have no choice in the matter.

You do have a choice on the matter. If you do not want them to use grenades, do not equip them on their Defensive Loadout.

You can also set how many grenades your survivors have upon equipping, so there's no real issue there, and while we're on that matter, raid defense doesn't even consume your ammo anyway!

I still can't see any adverse effects of allowing grenades whilst defending against a raid, it only balances the scales against the already overwhelming odds of the attacker... "Reload this!!" ... *BOOM*

You'll destroy your own structures?! No worries, that raider was gonna trash it anyway. Besides, one can always move it elsewhere! :)

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Live player vs player combat will never happen.   Con would have to rebuild the game from the ground up, and that's not gonna happen.

Con would also have to completely rebuild the AI from the ground up for it to be competent with grenades (and other defensive concepts) -- that's not gonna happen either.

Cerberus

Cerberus
  • 14 posts

Yeah, hopefully the AI will be improved come the "AI Raider Compound" update.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grenade, Compound Defence, Disabled