We had a chat about this last night and the problem isn't with the stats, it's with how the bows function.
Here's the quick rundown of how the bows work:
Drawing an arrow is part of the reload animation. Releasing the arrow from a full draw is the firing animation. This is kind of the standard way you make bows operate in games. Single shot, draw to reload, release to fire.
The problem we have is that we don't have a delay in firing (aim time only works when you first pick a target) so the firing part happens really quickly.
Having a single capacity means that once you've fired, it goes straight back into reload, which makes you crouched and causes the invulnerability which is desired.
Rather than changing the way that the cover system works for the ENTIRE game, we're going to look at changing the way that bows function.
So here's what will probably have to happen:
- Reload animation will be changed to be something else
- Pulling an arrow and drawing the bow back will become part of the firing animation
- The rate of the weapon will then be changed to dictate how quickly the bow will fire
- The bows will be given a capacity (a quiver size of sorts) and once that's been depleted, they'll go into a "reload" animation
- Fairly dramatic stat changes will have to happen, but we should be able to maintain the DPS
The end result is that they'll act more like a Long Rifle, standing, firing a few shots, ducking, standing, firing a few shots, ducking.