Inventory Space For The 100th Time

inventory space inventory full items space junk

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

POPULAR

Was not sure either to post this to ideas or feedback section. Lets try here..

First of all i am aware that this subject has been here many times.

As the situation is going reach critical proportions, something needs to be done pretty soon.

This new stuff is all good fun but there is starting to be a real problem with inventory space with all these item additions, such as infamous items, event items, components and research stuff.. event items alone are a pain to get rid off after you get hundreds and hundreds of them during the event.

With the addition of DMU on kong, the components and junk are next to impossible to get rid off even with the incinerator.

Over half of the "free" inventory space goes to components, research items and junk alone.

Add medical items, books, clothings, supply boxes and rest to that it leaves very little space for weapons or gear.

There must be some sort of adjustment to the existing "free" inventory space, otherwise the inventory will be 500/500 of components before long.

One solution would be to make components, research items and junk go to another storage unit separate from the actual inventory space or just somehow make them not count towards the inventory space.

Other would be to make it possible to instantly get rid of some of the components like plastic or copper wire and such, ie press the instant "get rid of" button and type in the value and get rid of them. Incinerator cant keep up with hundreds of thousands of components.

I am aware that you can purchase the inventory upgrades with kreds, however even with 1000 slots the items are starting to be a problem. Even after buyin it, majority of your inventory will be still clogged with stuff many do not need or use.

Add DMU to this and you are screwed and forced to use incinerator and recycler 24/7.

Everyone chip in with ideas and feedback!

Please Con, do something about this.

Edited by TheOneWhoKnocks, 03 August 2016 - 03:42 PM.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

Don't use the incinerator, it's a waste of fuel.

At this point, I have just given up on recycling junk, it takes my recycler too long, and there is no point since it will just re-accumulate. I'll just let it stack.

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

Incinerator is not completely a waste of fuel when you have DMU its actually a big life saver. The amount of items you find in just a few missions is overwhelming to recycle manually or with the help of the recycler so thumbs up for the incinerator. Of course it could have more room to burn stuff but nothing is perfect.

Edited by TheOneWhoKnocks, 03 August 2016 - 02:33 PM.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

I'd prefer to have the fuel and just take multiple loads or recycle by hand.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

I am aware that you can purchase the inventory upgrades with kreds, however even with 1000 slots the items are starting to be a problem. Even after buyin it, majority of your inventory will be still clogged with stuff many do not need or use.

Therein lies your answer.

If you do not want or need an item, get rid of it. For example; There is zero need to keep hold of old event items.

After 3+ years of playing, my inventory sites at 350/500 items comfortably. Before research, it was closer to 300.

Storage space for items costs Con and the team money for server storage. The increasing costs is why a limit was put into the game in the first place https://getsatisfact...caps_are_coming

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

If you do not want or need an item, get rid of it. For example; There is zero need to keep hold of old event items.

350/500? You must be holding on to bare essentials to keep you going then..

Yes indeed event items are fairly "easy" to get rid of.. but as i said it is next to impossible to get rid of all the junk, components and other items you get from missions with DMU. I have literally millions of components put together, never possible to remove them all.

You referred to the cost of storing items. They still feel comfortable of bringing more and more of new items, no?

That does not change the fact that if you add hundreds of new items it will have an effect.

If they keep this pace up of adding new items, the inventory space will be, eventually, almost entirely full of components and other items than weapons or gear. Items that you actually use.

Another factor is trading stock, many players store items that they dont maybe use themselves but use them as valuables to trade with. This includes Supply Boxes also, and the only people that will be able to hold on to the rare, old, valuable boxes are people with inventory upgrades.

Then there is collectors and whatnot and sure most of us have the expansion. Expansion that keeps getting filled with, yes cool new stuff, but its taking space we paid for.

Bottom line is that the old cap is just that, old, its horribly out dated and needs adjustment.

Edited by TheOneWhoKnocks, 03 August 2016 - 05:52 PM.

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

Oh and if someone is going to say "there is a book to increase inventory space!" the problem with that is the limited amount of book slots.

If you want to be, lets say a pve player with White Flag book and also have more inventory space, you must use 3 book slots. That leaves you with one remaining.

And the % that the book increases the existing space is relatively small.

CommSMG

CommSMG
  • 177 posts

If your inventory space ever reaches the point where it becomes a large game-ruining problem, register an alt account, and transfer all of your unused/valuable stuff there. If you want to trade something, or give it back to your main, just sign in your alt in another tab and do it.

Assuming you have time to manage 2+ accounts at once.

Andre F S R

Andre F S R
  • 282 posts

100% agree with this post, Im using a +40% inventory space book yet I still have my inventory at 640\700 all the time, 2 missions and I need to do 2-3 mins of manual recycling of the tons of junk and useless items I get from the missions.

+1

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Con has unfortunately backed himself into a corner, with every update that releases components there will be calls for more inventory space. If everyone was super restrictive like LLiquid then server space wouldn't be an issue, no matter how many components Con released.  Most people however can't/won't be a religious about their inventories as him (myself included).   I vaguely remember in chat Con saying that that the "game data" (i.e. code/graphics) was around 400 Gb and the "player data" (inventories/building locations/PvP records/achievements etc) was 10-12 times that.

There are a number of ways Con could get out the corner, none of them that I can think of offhand are particularly attractive.

The easiest one would be to delete the player data of dormant players.   It would of course be upsetting to a player that comes back after a long dormancy, but a player who''s never paid Con a dime and hasn't played in six months is just costing Con money.   Multiply that times several hundred thousand accounts and you're looking at a significant cost.  If he were to go that route (I don't think he will) I'd suggest deleting non-paying accounts only, and after two months for an account under level 20, and six months for an account over level 20.   I picked level 20 as the lower cutoff because it's likely that a player under level 20 tried the game, and didn't like it, and if they did come back, they didn't lose a whole lot.  Six months seems reasonable as the higher cutoff as if a player hasn't come back in six months, then they're not likely to come back at all.   Permanent saving of paid accounts is common practice in games where they delete dormant accounts, as, since less than 5% of the playerbase pays any amount toward the game, you're not talking about a huge number of accounts.

Another way Con could deal with the inventory problem is to sharply reduce the drop rate of components.   Of course that means sharply reducing the drop rate of items that drop components as well (i.e. weapons/gear).  I don't think many players would like that.  Getting that awesome unique is hard enough already, imagine doing it with 1/10 of the weapon/gear drops you had before.   This of course would do nothing for existing players inventories, so Con would have put in hard caps for components stacks -- at levels where players could easily recycle all they had.  Component stack levels of 20-50 items per stack would completely kill crafting -- without a rebalancing of every recipe, which is why I think it's extremely unlikely that Con will go that route.  It's a lot of code/work to do everything needed for this option, and it'll just make a lot of people angry.

---

Side note regarding "holiday" components:  One way that has been suggested before is to re-use them.   The problem with that (to my understanding) is that players can/would stockpile them, and players who had been able to stockpile large inventories of the "holiday" components would be at an unfair advantage over a new player who was just doing that event for the first time.

Edited by Zingman, 03 August 2016 - 10:04 PM.

Agrippas

Agrippas
  • 181 posts

The easiest one would be to delete the player data of dormant players.   It would of course be upsetting to a player that comes back after a long dormancy, but a player who''s never paid Con a dime and hasn't played in six months is just costing Con money.   Multiply that times several hundred thousand accounts and you're looking at a significant cost.  If he were to go that route (I don't think he will) I'd suggest deleting non-paying accounts only, and after two months for an account under level 20, and six months for an account over level 20.   I picked level 20 as the lower cutoff because it's likely that a player under level 20 tried the game, and didn't like it, and if they did come back, they didn't lose a whole lot.  Six months seems reasonable as the higher cutoff as if a player hasn't come back in six months, then they're not likely to come back at all.   Permanent saving of paid accounts is common practice in games where they delete dormant accounts, as, since less than 5% of the playerbase pays any amount toward the game, you're not talking about a huge number of accounts.

Well, as you said, both ideas proposed don't seem attractive, and it's doubtful that Con would approve to do such things. However, 6 months still seems too short for ALL accounts that are above level 20. For example, I returned to this game just a few weeks ago and the moment I stopped playing was when low level weapons like M-24s, chainsaws, etc., became vintage weapons. That's a long time. I did have my DMU purchased however. I can't deny that. But if someone didn't purchase a DMU, and let's just say there life got into a big disorder and had quit the game because they just couldn't handle it or whatever reason it may be, it would really be cruel to just delete a level 55 account that went all that way without a DMU and had a bunch of unique weapons and gear, etc. I mean, you play on Kong, so you knew for quite a while what not having the DMU was like. And we can't really say that people won't return to play a game if they quit. 

I agree with the 2 months for a level 20 player, since it really takes less time to reach that level without the DMU. But after that, is perhaps when you want to expand the time limit for higher levels, depending on their level. Perhaps since you didn't use the DMU for quite some time, could you possibly tell us an estimated time frame that it took you to reach a certain level (Example: 3 months for level 30, 5 months for level 40, etc.)? If not, than that's alright. But just simply deleting old accounts is something very difficult to get approved. Which is why I think your idea could probably have more improvements and perhaps get approved.

-----

As for MY idea for a solution to this problem, an inventory space upgrade just seems necessary at this moment. I just counted up all the components from crafting kits and upgrade tokens, and they take up 48 inventory spaces. That's not including infamous components or HERC mine charges, or the fact that most of those crafting kits are basic and good crafting kits, and not like others who also have superior, elite and rare crafting kits. People are feeling pressured where they feel it's necessary to purchase either the inventory space upgrade book with fuel or the inventory space upgrade with money, as stated here before. In my perspective there could be 2 solutions which have not been mentioned. 

The first solution is to make the first inventory space upgrade with fuel. No, that does not mean purchasing the book. Like an inventory space upgrade spent with a certain amount of fuel. Since this one is permanent and does not take up a book slot, it should be very costly. I would say a price, but at the end, if it is applied, the one who would decide is Con and his team. The issue that I see with this, is the fact that people who have already purchased the inventory space upgrade would feel scammed, and would need to be compensated with something in return. Perhaps the same amount of fuel that was needed for the first inventory upgrade? 

The second solution would be to make an extra book slot for players. Some people might agree with making a fuel purchase for a book which lets them have effects like a -50% Ammo Cost, or a -50% Mission Return Time or even -50% Fuel Cost of Crafting and Upgrading, even if the last one is temporary. I'm pretty sure most people here would also be willing to spend fuel for inventory space upgrade book, if they haven't, and apply it. The problem, is that it takes up a book slot, which for some people, is quite valuable. Especially those that have a White Flag book equipped, since they would need to use ANOTHER book slot to equip the same two book types. I do not have that book equipped since I haven't purchased it yet, but seeing as how I don't want to recycle unique weapons and gear or delete other stuff, it may be necessary to purchase it. Sooner than I expected. A 5th book slot doesn't seem like such a disaster nor would it make such a huge issue in the game, at least through my perspective. So why not? Unless someone else sees a potential drawback, or Con states what would actually go wrong if we apply this, then adding another book slot wouldn't be so harmful.

I know what you guys want, and it's to have free inventory space with absolutely no cost, because it's Con that's taking out all the updates with new items and stuff. The problem is that Con doesn't work for free, so we need to make solutions for both sides. Hope you guys understand, in the same way you guys want Con to understand this issue that players are having. Let's just keep proposing ideas and feedback and see if we reach a good solution for everybody.

Edited by Agrippas, 04 August 2016 - 02:49 AM.

CommSMG

CommSMG
  • 177 posts

If we're ever going to have free (paid with fuel) storage space again, Con would have to implement more paid features, to earn a stable and sufficient income in order to pay the monthly server storage costs, enough to account for everyone who will take hold of the "free" upgrade.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

My proposed solution is to convert all items currently in the "Junk" category to resources.

Any junk picked up is instantly converted to resources upon picking them up, just like how resource items like "cloth pile" are picked up as that, and saved as resources.

This is important because you cannot really "get rid" of junk items since you will pick them up again, often in large quantities, and they will still take up that inventory space.

EDIT: I have 89 Junk items, so this is an effective space saver.

And I do realize that junk items can be used as a resource stockpile to recycle from, but at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice that.

Edited by MW3ProPiper, 04 August 2016 - 05:57 PM.

ToneZ

ToneZ
  • 44 posts

Purchasable 1000 Recycle Size. Like DMU for trashing items.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Purchasable 1000 Recycle Size. Like DMU for trashing items.

Larger recycler capacity is useless without an increase in the recycler rate. Con recently added new level(s) to the recycler with research notes, but 'm extremely unlikely to fill it up now   I just do 10+ minutes worth, and then run whatever mission I'm planning on running (DMU, so no mission takes longer than 10 mins).  A recycler with a capacity of 1000 would take a very long time if filled to capacity.  It also doesn't really solve the problem at hand (too many items in the inventory)

---

My proposed solution is to convert all items currently in the "Junk" category to resources.

Any junk picked up is instantly converted to resources upon picking them up, just like how resource items like "cloth pile" are picked up as that, and saved as resources.

This is important because you cannot really "get rid" of junk items since you will pick them up again, often in large quantities, and they will still take up that inventory space.

EDIT: I have 89 Junk items, so this is an effective space saver.

And I do realize that junk items can be used as a resource stockpile to recycle from, but at this point, I'm willing to sacrifice that.

This is an interesting possibility.  Instantly removing 80+ items from every players inventories would save Con a not-insignificant sum when applied over every account.  However I think it'd make things a lot harder for new players, who have a much smaller storage capacities than high level players.   Between level 8 and level 15 or so, being able to stockpile resources in junk is almost essential.  Maybe if this was combined with a slight decrease in the resource requirements in those levels this might be the best option.

---

Any option involving fuel for inventory space (other than the book which already exists) is largely a non-starter.  It's quite possible to save up well over 10k fuel without spending a dime on fuel.   Any proposed solution to the problem must take into account physical server space -- which is a finite resource (and costs Con real money).  

Players inventories are infinite, Con's server space is not.

Edited by Zingman, 05 August 2016 - 01:01 AM.

ToneZ

ToneZ
  • 44 posts

Larger paid recycle gives 1000 and add's a V10 Dodge Viper engine to the end for SPEED+. Vroom Vroom.

Larger recycler capacity is useless without an increase in the recycler rate. ... A recycler with a capacity of 1000 would take a very long time if filled to capacity.  It also doesn't really solve the problem at hand (too many items in the inventory)

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

Another way Con could deal with the inventory problem is to sharply reduce the drop rate of components.   Of course that means sharply reducing the drop rate of items that drop components as well (i.e. weapons/gear).  I don't think many players would like that.  Getting that awesome unique is hard enough already, imagine doing it with 1/10 of the weapon/gear drops you had before.   This of course would do nothing for existing players inventories, so Con would have put in hard caps for components stacks -- at levels where players could easily recycle all they had.  Component stack levels of 20-50 items per stack would completely kill crafting -- without a rebalancing of every recipe, which is why I think it's extremely unlikely that Con will go that route.  It's a lot of code/work to do everything needed for this option, and it'll just make a lot of people angry.

---

Side note regarding "holiday" components:  One way that has been suggested before is to re-use them.   The problem with that (to my understanding) is that players can/would stockpile them, and players who had been able to stockpile large inventories of the "holiday" components would be at an unfair advantage over a new player who was just doing that event for the first time.

A note or two.

Clipping off dormant players data is a good idea but 6 months is too short, i would make it at least a year. People have alts they store stuff and use in raiding sometimes, these are easy to forget for a few months..

What comes to the second idea, drop rates are not as big of a problem than the junk and components you get from recycling those drops.

ToneZ:

Increasing recycler or incinerator capacity even to 1000 slots is not going to help if you have 500 000-1 000 000 of each component. The time alone that it would take to get them recycled would be ridiculous.

The answer may lie in what Zing suggested, erasing data from players that have been dormant for over 1 year.

Or making it possible to instantly remove some items from your inventory one way or another. Be it "Ivan" popping up with a truck as some suggested or then letting us "dump" the crafting kits, junk and components with a press of a button.

TheOneWhoKnocks

TheOneWhoKnocks
  • 29 posts

Any proposed solution to the problem must take into account physical server space -- which is a finite resource (and costs Con real money).  

Players inventories are infinite, Con's server space is not.

This is true.

Yet, they feel comfortable of adding more stuff that will take a very large amount of storage space.

Oh, and CommSMG to reply to your Alt storage space option

The problem that we are heading towards with these new item additions is the free 500 storage space being overrun with components and other junk. This brings an overwhelming task to the new players who do not know what to keep or throw away in the first place.

Imagine if you have 500 free slots and its 90% full of components and junk at lvl 15, what is your motivation of starting to get rid of the components and junk just so that you can keep on playing few missions and then having to do it all over again?

Adding more and more items will have an effect if you do not somehow raise the inventory space or make it easier to get rid off items.

DZplayer

DZplayer
  • 368 posts

Question... could Con add a cutoff to inventory items? Say 9999 max for any item to stack.

I know I've heard Con say thats unfair to players who have scavved large numbers of components and resources, but there have been worse nerfs than that, namely the m24 nerf and armor nerf back in the day.

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

Question... could Con add a cutoff to inventory items? Say 9999 max for any item to stack.

I know I've heard Con say thats unfair to players who have scavved large numbers of components and resources, but there have been worse nerfs than that, namely the m24 nerf and armor nerf back in the day.

Con recognized that issue a bit late, and to fix it now would result in exploding inventories due to the amount of extra stacks generated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inventory space, inventory, full, items, space, junk