Thanks guys for the advice, really appreciate it.
I did pretty good on my first attempt (passed the first stage against zed), but got wiped out every time I faced the HERC guys since then.
Should I be focusing on using smoke grenades against the HERC guys?
Do you have high projectile resistance vests? If not, than just take precaution when roaming on HERC maps. But still, highest projectile vests are what you always want. Also, try not to take on too many HERC at once. Like, on the Monument map, where you have to disable 3 communications HUB against HERC, there is a certain spot where there are 5+ HERC. Try to walk little by little and take one down, then another, and then go into full firefight with them.
I see other people are putting what team they take with them, so I'll do the same for you.
1. Leader: Since my leader has the highest level out of all my survivors, I take him with me always, since he's able to wear higher level weapons and gear. He wears a 70% projectile resistance vest and a 65% explosive resistance vest and takes a unique RPK with him.
2. Fighter: Since my fighters are low level at the moment, they take a unique level 45 LMG and a crafted armor I had made with 0 movement penalty, that way they don't go slower than what they already are and still have 65% projectile resistance.
3. Recon: I take a unique M-107 with my recon, along with a 70/70 projectile and explosive resistance vest. I usually send out my recon walking first due to the resistance, and due to the fact that their range allows them to spot enemies from afar.
4. Medic: I have my medic with a unique medic armor, but I used to put on my medic a unique military armor before my medic reached level 51. I equip my medic with a unique assault rifle all the time, that way she can have support against HERC and zombies. A medic is absolutely necessary on Union Island, since you will get hurt.
5. Engineer: I equip my engineer with a melee weapon and a 55% resistance armor on melee, explosive and projectile. It's a very good armor, I know. But the reason I put it on him is so that he can lure around the zombies while sustaining little damage, to prevent explosives and HERC from doing too much damage as well.
You can substitute the Leader with a scavenger if they are high level enough. The reason why I would recommend it is because you want to do things quickly, and a scavenger will definitely save you time.