Photo

Raiding Defense

Raiding Compound defence

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

Hey guys, It Maxx and i was wondering what compound def do you use. I currently use a Side wonder but im going to change to a corner wonder, if you dont know what that is then refer to the post here.  

http://forum.conarti...s-for-starters/

The thing is that I am a MAJOR PvE player. I almost never have raided except for once when i was lvl 11. So before i start raiding i was just going to get my ducks in a row, which obviously mean getting my compound together for retaliation. But now if you've read that post then you will notice something..... IT HAS NO GOOD DEFENSE SET UP TIPS. it only has a way to overtake bad defenses.

So for all you higher level wonderfully helpful people out there

PLEASE TELL ME NOOB HOW TO DEFENSE    basically.... 

currently what im planing to change my defense to.. 

14725257037057.png

This is what im going to change it to but the only problem is (i know you probally dont worry about it at lower levels but this dosent cover a PvE attack so.... 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

So to stop about half of all raiders,  you're going to want to have a defense that plays to the game's weaknesses.  A pillow fort is easy to defeat, UNLESS the attacker is experiencing lag.  Then its super hard.  A spawn trap will often cause a raider's game to crash when it loads.  Use one of these (preferably the spawn trap if you got the range cause its also an alright defense if their game doesn't crash).

If you haven't spent some real life money on PvP weapons, you'll probably get regularly smashed by the players who have.  Pretty much whatever your setup.  So take a deep breath and come to terms with this, it's just how the game goes.

Aside from those two groups of attackers (the half with crashed/laggy games you 'beat', the 1% with money invested you lost to), your performance against the rest depends on one thing.  How often you raid yourself and redesign.  Read the raid logs, see what your enemies did, try to emulate it yourself.  Then figure out how to fix that particular problem.  As a side bonus you'll get better at raiding your enemies.

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

Thanks joell but there is only one problem, from the raid logs you cant tell who "angled" you or who used what strategy and all you know some times is that someone thew a smoke and every one on your team died afterwards. so how can you tell what strategy someone used or dose when the log gives you basic info. kinda have to guess. 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

Definitely some guess work involved, but you'll get good at it fairly quickly.  Pay special attention to the ORDER and TIME when your defenders were killed.  This will tell you about angling.  Seeing which defenders were killed in the first 10s or so can tell you where the enemy spawned (most useful with a spawn trap).  Use traps to determine walking paths of attackers (one of the best uses of fake traps).  The FREQUENCY of enemy smokes can tell you how often the enemy needed to heal, thus how far away they where when fighting.  Kills by ARs vs LRs implies distances of attackers as well.  Not an exact science to be sure, but there's an awful lot in a raid report.

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

yes but the only problem again.... is that even after reading the log report, putting research into raiding.  the best defense is the one i posted above for 2 reasons. it has no angles you can abuse to kill defenders, And all of my survivors are grouped up right. Point out any other set up besides that and i can point out it either has one of 2 of those weaknesses. (except fake spawn trap for obvious reasons)

So we can agree on that right. BUT even with all that brute force raids still happen to me like this morning and i cant stop them. Literally i have no defense against a few guys with MG's and one LR. I feel that if theirs a fight and its a 10V5 and it not a pillow fort where you can smoke and nade all corners. Is there any defense against that besides grouping my survivors. So next time i get a brute force raid with this set up and it says that all of my survivors engaged the enemy ill post the snapshot.

i dont know what point im making or what im getting to besides that i want to see something like clash of clans where you can Watch the actual raid so..... 

im just really frustrated at this point for raiding for me because for the past few weeks ive either been getting trashed or just ridiculously raided by a 2 man team (actually happened).

i feel like raiding at the mid-low levels is pretty hard and ive changed my set up most like every single day at some points. I mean sometimes i have successes raiding other people but when it comes to defense its really frustrating for no reason 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

Yeah,  there's a lot of 'tricks' involved in raiding. 

I haven't been able to see anything in your .png link, might be worth reloading.  But if you want more serious or timely defense advice, I'd suggest joining a raiding alliance.  Sounds like there might be some fairly simple fixes that could do your defenses some good.

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

sorry i couldent post it as a image here so its in google drive, you can see what i have have as my weapons and gear and i know is not ideal but..... 

still dont understand how if all of my suvivors are grouped up how can they not be suppressed 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

Ah.  Well, first step would probably be to change around your gear.  Accuracy boosts are not all that valuable in the end.

Suppression is a weird thing, and the defensive AI is terrible at it.  Since your raidlog shows a long time before the killing starts, your attacker probably spawned and then repositioned.  Raid yourself.  You can probably get it down to just two attackers being suppressed by all your defenders.  That leaves three active attackers.  Keep raiding yourself till you can get this result.

I'd again suggest joining a raiding alliance.  All this would probably be covered in most folk's "welcome to the alliance" talk. 

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

what? i thought accuracy boosts would make it so you can hit raiders more often out side of your effective range? and then also what do you mean by defensive AI is bad at suppression?  

Buue

Buue
  • 657 posts

what? i thought accuracy boosts would make it so you can hit raiders more often out side of your effective range?

The range is capped at 99%. Once outside the effective range, the 99% will drop to say 80% and even further out to 70%. Even with accuracy boosts, you will never get 100%, 99s the best you got. In this game, 'range is king,' so increase your range for now with glasses and when even higher levels, start using armor.

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

so basically you arm all of your survivors with LR's and LMG's and then gear with glasses and raider vests and maybe bandolilers and to speed up reload to deal with suppression. You want to spread them out enough that they cant be suppressed by the same person but close enough that all of them can shoot at the same party/ person. Place your traps where you know raiders will have to go though in order to fight you. Thats my general impression of you guy's/ community of raiding defence. 

even though i might not raid often and will only raid if i see an easy target (which is far and few in between) i still want to know how do i defend against above average raiders, as they seem to be the people who target. I feel too few times have i received a raid report where i killed a few (or any at all) raiders. So can you guys pls post your setups and gear that you use to fend off the dreads of being in an alliance. 

P.S my alliance is a PvE tasker alliance. 

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

That's fair, not everyone wants to join a raiding alliance.  Here's the short intro I give folks who join mine.  I suspect its fairly standard:

"Co-suppression range is one square; keep survivors further apart than this.  Support range is 14 spaces, keep all defenders closer than this.  Avoid long barricades, targeting them can suppress all defenders.  Be wary of the reduced cover provided by towers.  Avoid melee exploit by keeping defenders back from the spawn points and using gates/barriers.  Avoid bow raids by keeping even further back from spawn points, as is reasonable for your level.  Mix high hit and high damage per hit weapons (generally LMGS/ARS and LRs as you said, but don't forget about Deadeyes, etc).  Mix glasses and armor.  Make sure there is no good cover between likely spawn points and your defenders for approaching attackers.  At low levels, use traps on approach routes.  At high levels traps can't kill; use either just to mark attack routes in your raid logs, or group around breaks between missalligned barricades.  Avoid letting the attacker move around where they can target you; high swept OSW first, then back swept OSW, then spawn trap when you got the weapons.  Water buildings can hide flags for 'sneaky' defenders.  Don't try to defend against everyone, just whoever is bothering you right now.  Always change something every time you are successfully raided.  It can be small, but always improve.  RAID YOURSELF OFTEN AND REGULARLY."

Your best layout will depend on your weapons, and who is raiding you.   I know it sounds kinda a-holish, but looking at layouts doesn't help too much.  To a non-raider, a tricky and a foolish compound can look almost indistinguishable.  Raiding yourself will teach you to read compounds, but will also teach you way more about your defense than looking at a strangers compound would.

THE_MAXX

THE_MAXX
  • 70 posts

OK just some questions? what is OSW? and how do you approach a compound that has all 10 survivors grouped up and ready to suppress who ever engages. 

but thanks joelll and spicyblobs, I am just new to alliances and raiding so the first thing i wanted to get straight is how to defend.

joeIII

joeIII
  • 429 posts

OSW = One Sided Wonder.

I think you're asking how to attack a compound with 10 grouped defenders with suppression weapons?  Bow raid works, OR just spread out your attackers before engaging (2 per piece of cover), OR melee exploit (depending on where defenders are clumped), OR spawn close with better AR/LMGs and keep smoking.  Suppression weapons can be a good idea, but remember there are 2 common exploits that depend on defenders suppressing attackers.  Also, defensive AI will concentrate on the nearest attackers, often leaving attackers more than a few spaces distant from the lead unsuppressed.  Using suppression is important, but don't forget to raid yourself to find out more about when suppression doesn't cut it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raiding, Compound defence