Photo

Lucky Day On Island?

Lol no

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

I C U Koed

I C U Koed
  • 111 posts

y5PPtfx.png So I thought I got lucky on island.

Surely I can get lucky 2 times in a row.

E6qdsL0.png Lol no. By the way, recon didn't even spot the trap when he was millimeters away from it on my screen.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

Trap Spotting 101:

You only spot traps when you first move to a location. (and you're not reloading or firing).

If you move to a location, and you fail to spot a trap, the trap will go undetected until you (try) to move again, be it 5 seconds or 5 minutes later. 

I almost never fail to spot a trap by using my recon over short distances (i.e. the recons' trap spotting range).

I C U Koed

I C U Koed
  • 111 posts

Not sure if you know but right before the mine there's a box that can be scavenged, which I scavenged... Then I was off to deal with the zeds that were eating my survivors up north. When the zeds were dealt with I went on to loot the water container at the bottom and guess what, a mine appeared out of no where and took my recon's life.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

I know the island very well, that particular mine spawns about a third of the time when you get that map.   Based upon what you said, I'm not sure you attempted to detect the mine at all, so getting blown up was a very predictable result.

right before the mine there's a box that can be scavenged, which I scavenged...

No trap detection attempted, since you scavenged instead

Then I was off to deal with the zeds that were eating my survivors up north.

Again no trap detection attempted, since you went off to fight zeds.

When the zeds were dealt with I went on to loot the water container at the bottom and guess what, a mine appeared out of no where and took my recon's life.

Again no trap detection attempted, but this time you ran over the mine, so it went off.

passing player

passing player
  • 460 posts

When I play Island and have one of these maps, I always run my leader with explosive armor through the route to set off mines.

though one time my leader walked over a place, no explosion. I send my other survivors down the EXACT SAME path and my medic got naded by a mine en route.

and another time my leader stopped at a spot, I wait 5 seconds and no trap. I bring in survivors and then a mine appears 3 inches from leader and explodes.

if this is TL;DR then it says:

undetected mines that should have been detected

(not that I am complaining)

I C U Koed

I C U Koed
  • 111 posts

I know the island very well, that particular mine spawns about a third of the time when you get that map.   Based upon what you said, I'm not sure you attempted to detect the mine at all, so getting blown up was a very predictable result.

No trap detection attempted, since you scavenged instead

Again no trap detection attempted, since you went off to fight zeds.

Again no trap detection attempted, but this time you ran over the mine, so it went off.

When I say I was off to deal with zeds up north I meant I had my other 4 survivors there, the scavenging recon was still down there and the used M60 did not have enough range to shoot the zeds. So the recon was idle, the LMG was fully reloaded so he wasn't reloading. AFTER I had dealt with the zeds with my OTHER 4 survivors I moved the recon towards the water collector.

Edited by I C U Koed, 19 October 2016 - 11:09 AM.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

When I say I was off to deal with zeds up north I meant I had my other 4 survivors there, the scavenging recon was still down there and the used M60 did not have enough range to shoot the zeds. So the recon was just standing by with nothing to do, the LMG was fully reloaded so he wasn't reloading. AFTER I had dealt with the zeds with my OTHER 4 survivors I moved the recon towards the water collector.

Again, you only attempt to detect traps when you first move to a location.   If you stay still "with nothing to do" it will not attempt to detect traps again, you have to move to another location to try again.

You don't detect traps while moving

You don't detect traps while reloading

You don't detect traps while firing/fighting

You don't detect traps if you order a survivor to scavenge or perform some other action -- they will perform that action first and then try to detect traps.

You don't detect traps while standing still if you've already attempted to detect traps at that location.

So basically what happened is: your scavenging recon performed (at most) one trap spotting attempt after you looted the first container -- which failed.  Even a recon can fail to detect a trap.   When you moved him, he ran over the trap.

---

When I play Island and have one of these maps, I always run my leader with explosive armor through the route to set off mines.

though one time my leader walked over a place, no explosion. I send my other survivors down the EXACT SAME path and my medic got naded by a mine en route.

and another time my leader stopped at a spot, I wait 5 seconds and no trap. I bring in survivors and then a mine appears 3 inches from leader and explodes.

if this is TL;DR then it says:

undetected mines that should have been detected

(not that I am complaining)

Unless you've spent a lot of points on recon (inadvisable) the leader is much more likely to fail trap detection.  5 seconds doesn't matter, if you're not performing some other action trap detection should be near immediate if successful.  Given the extremely low detection/detonation range of HERC mines (1 square, you basically have to step on them), it's extremely unlikely that you can be 100% certain that the trailing survivors went the exact same path (square for square).   

---

Bottom line, neither one of these scenarios is surprising or shocking.