Photo

Community Translations

translation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

geras

geras
  • 23 posts

Are you guys interested in community providing translations for you?

Is Warfare Online translation-friendly? (meaning strings are not hardcoded or something)

I could translate into Polish and manage Polish translation if other people are interested.

Thanks.

Loving the game so far!

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 779 posts

I'll quote the dev team on this one: "to provide TLS: DZ (this was the game under discussion) in another language is implying that we can offer support in that language, which we simply cannot do".

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,073 posts

Not gonna happen. As MW3 pointed out, they haven't used the playerbase to translate DZ, and for their first game on Steam, they're even less likely to, since they (obviously) want to put their best foot forward.   Having the playerbase translate it would be honestly little better than having google translate do it -- it'd look like a cheap hack-job, and Con definitely doesn't want that. 

On the other hand, since it's on Steam it will have the potential to really take off (even more than DZ), in which case Con will be able to pay for professional translations he can trust/support.  The (potentially) greatly increased revenue stream for Con Artist Games (the company, not just Con) could help out DZ in that regard (assuming it's not too difficult to go retroactively).

geras

geras
  • 23 posts
Well, not every community translation is bad. Look at The Long Dark, Subnautica, or Project Zomboid, for example. I fix mistakes done by professional localisation companies for a living (gaming localisation QA), so I would not take high quality work for granted just because you paid someone money to do it.

But yeah, slim chance if Con did not translate their previous games. Thanks for your answers, guys.

Maybe, at least, Con will add Steam workshop support for translation mods.

Edited by geras, 02 December 2016 - 11:29 AM.

Con

Con
  • 3,926 posts

We are looking at localizing Warfare in future. Despite what the guys said above. Both support is easier and content isn't going to be on such a short cycle as Dead Zone. 

Support for Warfare is a lot less complicated for a number of reasons. 

- Payment support isn't handled by us, Valve will take care of that. 

- Technical support should be less of an issue due to a more stable engine / environment.

- Account issues are going to be less prominent.

With that said, Polish isn't currently on our list of languages to localize to. We appreciate the offer and might follow up in future. We will most likely be using games based localization services where possible though. 

geras

geras
  • 23 posts

Just a snippet of how Warfare Online could look like in Polish (actual translation, not photoshopped).

Spoiler

Con

Con
  • 3,926 posts

Just a snippet of how Warfare Online could look like in Polish (actual translation, not photoshopped).

Spoiler

Nice! Modified the lang file and fonts? Care to walk me through it?

geras

geras
  • 23 posts

I extracted the font game uses from one of your asset files with UnityEX, found a similar one that supports Polish extended characters and with the same file extension (this took some time and numerous game-checks of how it looks), changed it's name to what game uses, repacked the asset file, and modified the language file. Voila.

Edited by geras, 20 December 2016 - 07:12 PM.