Photo

Chat Pings And Notifications?

chat notification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ydihtty

ydihtty
  • 8 posts

Perhaps this has been suggested already, and I didn't look hard enough, but here's my suggestion anyway.

I think that the ability to ping players in chat would be useful, as often I have the game open in another tab or I am simply not looking at the chat when someone asks for me. This could be done by just typing @[username], like is seen in many other chats in other games. Also, a notification sound could play when a trade is requested or an alliance invite has been received.

The immediate issue that springs to mind is annoyance. Obviously you wouldn't want someone repeatedly pinging you just to annoy you. A potential counter to this could be a setting to turn on limits, e.g. 5 pings a minute, as well as a setting to turn it off entirely. Of course, blocked users wouldn't be able to ping you.

What do you guys think?

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

I play this as a game. I don't want it turned into an instant messenger

ydihtty

ydihtty
  • 8 posts

I play this as a game. I don't want it turned into an instant messenger

Well, that's essentially what the chat is... besides, there should be an option to turn this off.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Well, that's essentially what the chat is... besides, there should be an option to turn this off.

How about a developer response from people asking for an "inbox" system;

We already have a flood of reports from the forum everyday.  Combining this with the chat reports and other support related emails makes us not very keen to open up another stream of communication we have to monitor.

http://forum.conarti...aging/?p=125905

(Yes, I know that is about Forum messaging but the underlying point still stands)

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,179 posts

Has the potential to be extremely annoying when a player is "pinged" when they're on a mission/raiding

Plus many players have multiple accounts, so it'd be extremely difficult/aggravating to block them all,

For these reasons I'm inclined to say no.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,726 posts

How about a fuel based mail system?

Ivan's mail service. For something small like 5 or 10 fuel, he'll pop over to some one else's compound (another player) and drop off your note as a well known neutral resident of the Dead Zone, and leave the note nailed to your compound door. (remember those notes nailed to our compound walls previously?)

The fuel requirement would cut back on trolling, but it would actually achieve sending a message to someone. And any actually nasty messages can still be reported and acted upon.

Expanding on this, a new construction. People have moaned about trade for years. For an actual cost or fuel cost, a notice board you can build and leave say for example *ten* items you want to trade and their cost, people could see when they either view your compound or check out your profile on trade in chat. If they are interested they can message you and arrange a time for trade.

Edit: Con's stated he wanted a use for the Beacon. It costs's a bit of fuel to use, but can send messages. Those of us who built it have, run the task again for those theta don't, and have it as a permanent task for new players at a certain level, or something.

Edited by Harpago, 01 January 2017 - 10:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat, notification