Photo

More Melee Madness

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Sev

Sev
  • 547 posts

I want you to know that we have had a look at this and it is indeed a bit of a bug.  The game originally didn't show unarmed survivors in the compounds, so it never used to be an issue.  

When we added in the Bounty system, players started disarming their leader so the bounty couldn't be collected, so we put them back in.  Obviously there are some holes in the AI that are causing these new issues.

The quickest / simplest solution is for us to make it so unarmed survivors are automatically given a weapon during a raid.  

This patch will go up next week, along with some other minor tweaks to the AI that I think should improves things a bit.  As always, I will appreciate any feedback.

Luke Ridiculous

Luke Ridiculous
  • 155 posts

I want you to know that we have had a look at this and it is indeed a bit of a bug.  The game originally didn't show unarmed survivors in the compounds, so it never used to be an issue.  

it was discussed before on the public chat but nobody noticed and the people just ignored it but when it was rediscovered by small raiders,then by bigger ones,that started it's rise

The quickest / simplest solution is for us to make it so unarmed survivors are automatically given a weapon during a raid.  

but,but it won't fix anything,melees are still weapons you know,somebody would just arm themselves with melees on their unarmed survivors,rendering this hotfix useless

Edited by Luke Ridiculous, 05 May 2017 - 08:17 AM.

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 292 posts

I assumed "weapon" was meant to be "firearm", but it's true: it wasn't specified. Good point.

My question is: what happens when you don't have enough firearms for your survivors? (let's say, an alternate account with 10 survivors where you transfer only 9 firearms and maybe 1 melee). Does the 10th survivor just disappears? Is he given the melee?

Sev

Sev
  • 547 posts

but,but it won't fix anything,melees are still weapons you know,somebody would just arm themselves with melees on their unarmed survivors,rendering this hotfix useless

You're correct - sorry, I hadn't fully understood the problem.  I was too busy focusing on the unarmed survivors and the strange things they were doing.

I can look into making it so melee defenders who are in cover will be given a lower threat rating.  That should make the attackers go after the bigger threats.  Hopefully I will be able to do this first thing next week before the update goes live.

As for the weapon that unarmed players are given, I believe it is a level 1 manning rifle.

Cybertraxx

Cybertraxx
  • 258 posts

That should at least help fix the problem, thanks for the quick fix Sev.

BLACKDRAGON

BLACKDRAGON
  • 195 posts

thanks sev for the update

Edited by BLACKDRAGON, 06 May 2017 - 11:47 AM.

Luke Ridiculous

Luke Ridiculous
  • 155 posts

I can look into making it so melee defenders who are in cover will be given a lower threat rating.

why not just make the melee/unarmed survivor more hittable(this is not a word and I couldn't find any synonyms :( ) just like any other survivor with a ranged weapon on a cover(I mean this is the one and probably the only reason of why this problem is happening)?

As for the weapon that unarmed players are given, I believe it is a level 1 manning rifle.

yay free weapons :D(for newcomers I guess)

Edited by Luke Ridiculous, 06 May 2017 - 01:27 PM.

just_an_amateur

just_an_amateur
  • 26 posts

yay free weapons :D(for newcomers I guess)

No, i think it will be auto-eqquiped by the AI during the raid only.

Edited by just_an_amateur, 06 May 2017 - 07:26 PM.

lael

lael
  • 194 posts

Hi sev thanks.  Will giving equipped melee a "lower threat" rating also affect melee equipped when raiding?  If so, perhaps then people will stop using equipped melee in raids to deflect ai defense attacks as well.  (When an attackers puts a melee equipped raider 1st in line-up to offset and deflect the defense fire)  However if ai perceives equipped melee as a lower threat altogether, then complete "melee-nade" offensive raiding will not be affected?  

Sev

Sev
  • 547 posts

Possibly - I will have to look at how the threat is currently being calculated.  It could be applied to all melees or it could be applied to just defenders.  My gut says that it would be all melees though, which I think makes the most sense.

As I said in an earlier post, I have made a bunch of little edits to the AI already, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  It seems better in my limited tests, but you guys have totally different load outs and approaches to me, so it is going to be a case of wait and see.

Wurstl

Wurstl
  • 198 posts

Sounds good Sev. Close spawners will get a little boost now.

I remember an older idea: 'Smoke Breaks Line Of Sight' http://forum.conarti...-line-of-sight/ that did NOT make it to the game mainly because of melees and unarmed in defenses.

By this getting fixed now, will you take 'not aiming in smoke' back into consideration for the game? - Most arguments we posted there against it should be fixed now with your update and after boosting close spawn this can balance things out a bit, that it just doesn't get too easy.

lael

lael
  • 194 posts

Hi .  It seems that some unarmed defenders are still unarmed (see cherry's current post under reports for screenshot.)  Also that melee/unarmed on defense are seemingly invulnerable to gun fire and are a great ploy/bug against attackers as a terrific time- wasting distraction.  I also made a post about this in the last ai patch listed under announcements.