Photo

Feedback Of A Returning Player

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

kornosain

kornosain
  • 9 posts

coming back from a hiatus of about, what, 3 years? i'm amused at how the game still lives on and is still (somewhat) thriving. with that in mind, i'll list some of my observations of the game upon my return.

1) Survivor healing

since it's been a while since i last played i find it rather weird why survivor healing was changed. used to be that you would just hold the space bar and then click on the survivor icons at the bottom middle and your medic/leader would come straight to help but now that's not the case. i find that now, you need to press the [E] key and have to click on the survivor per se. [Space] bar doesn't seem to work and with the [E] key, clicking on the survivor icons do nothing.

prior to a little searching on the forum i was a bit frustrated that i couldn't heal any of my survivors upon my return. sure, i was just doing a practice raid on my compound to wear the rust a little, but still i found it annoying and ended up killing 3 of my 5 survivors in just a minute (yeah, not the best raider here, i know, but still!). 

my two cents on this is: why? i tried looking for some patch notes or something similar but found none (or could be that i'm just not looking hard enough, for that i apologize if there are indeed patch notes for this matter) so i would like to know from the devs why the change? i appreciate all the work you've put in the game to keep it standing a good 5+ years but this? am i really the only person who finds that toggling the [E] key and having to click on the actual survivors and not the icons makes the game somewhat unplayable? is this your response for making the game "challenging" for the players at the cap? 

2) Books

nice to know that you've added a fifth book slot. i haven't tried any of the tactics manuals yet but from reading some comments about them here, it seems that the benefits are just not enough for you to use them. same with challenge books. these have been in the game for a while now but still no changes. the restrictions they pose far outweigh the benefits you get from using them. is a 30~50% boost to exp asking for too much? or giving loot bonuses like finding more resources (particularly water)? increased item rarity drops? such books are meant to add a little oomph to the game but if the debuffs are too much compared to the benefits why bother?

i know that these are seemingly minor stuff compared to what you guys have on your roadmap but it's the little things that count. a little attention to these subtleties shows players the care you guys give to the game. 

EDIT: 

3) Experience

i've just noticed that doing low level areas do NOT yield anymore experience. i suppose this is fine. not really much i can disagree with. another thing i've noticed is that the mini-mission "Medic" does not yield as much experience as it once before. i guess this is an exploit fix because a few years back, what you'd do is you'd equip the book "Shortening Your Lifespan" along with "Ready. Aim. Zombies" and then retrain all your survivors into medics. the whole premise of these is to lower survivor HP, get hit a lot then heal; because the mini-mission can be spammed, just rinse and repeat and presto, all your survivors are at level 50 (the cap wasn't 55 at the time. lol that makes me look old). anyway, i appreciate this response. as for other mini-missions, i've yet to discern any changes.

EDIT: 

it appears that doing maps beneath the LEADER's level yields no experience. i find this to actually be a BAD idea. why? this is because the leader, regardless of whether or not is sent on a mission, still accumulates experience whereas all other survivors only gain exp when sent on missions. at this point you can probably see where i'm going with this: survivors will NEVER get exp unless sent on areas that are within ±5

levels of the leader. used to be that i could just send survivors anywhere and not worry about not getting any exp. now you have no choice but use survivors that are about ten levels below just for them get any. as i go along with the game now, i find this is becoming more and more "hardcore", as if trying hard to emulate Dark Souls or analogous to that. i suppose some would love the idea but for a casual, that seems to make the game a little unplayable. 

4) Refreshes

after a failed run (refer to my rant below) i attempted refreshing the browser to get my survivors back but after reloading the game i find that my survivors are away and the return time at 4 hours. i guess refreshes were a cancer even back a few years ago but why now change the game logic in such a way that refreshes are nullified? i remember back then when you refresh, the area only gets locked out, you have your survivors instantly, loot gained in that mission gone, and injuries sustained remain. i find this a tad extreme. or am i missing something else here?

5) Raider Compounds

lately i've been into doing raider compounds. i still hate how i'm still stuck with working with the [E] key, but that's another story. anyway, as i play along i notice that if you're just a typical casual player, the game punishes you for being such. it's as if the game is constricting players to play a certain play style, which is rather unhealthy.

as i don't "grind" my supply of smokes and grenades aren't really a lot, hence i don't bring any when doing these maps. but the thing is, because the game is set up for you to bring such, if you don't do so most likely the mission will just end up in failure. sure, you can down the survivors, or just ninja gather resources, but can you do both? not without using active gear, no--at least for me.

what this spells out is that i can't do anything, which is a waste because you just sent out survivors for nothing and need to wait it out before they come back. sometimes the layout is in such a way that it's impossible to down all hostiles (typical of one-side wonders, which are about the only layout i see) as there are no other possible angles to attack from. you can try, but you'd be exposed to their line of sight and the mission just ends up being a seven-minute stand-off. other times, hostiles are separate from the resources but then these would be rigged with loads of traps and by the time you manage to disarm all traps hindering your path the mission time is already up. the worst would be when your survivors spawn directly in front of hostiles. without smokes, at that point there's really nothing you can do.

the typical a-hole raider may argue something like "nut up or shut up" or "git gud" or whatever condescending remark they can think of because they're just plain elitist a-holes. perhaps there is some unfortunate truth in that, but the point is players shouldn't be constricted about they're playing options. active gear should only aid in raiding. they shouldn't be necessities. "pro" raiders can probably pull off raids without such, but not everyone can "git gud". there should be some balance such that even a plebian raider noob like me can stand toe-to-toe with the elitists elites. it shouldn't just be about gear, but skill as well. forcing players to abide by the norm to me is just plain stupid. games should be fun, not imposing.

and again, i would like to reiterate the emphasis on spawning. survivors should not spawn directly in front of hostiles. sure, they may have LRs equipped with nice range but literally placing watchtowers by the street within like 10 feet from the green zone and having your survivors spawn there is just mad. 

that would be all for now. i haven't spent much time with the game since i came back so i'll just edit this post when something else comes up.

Edited by kornosain, 23 July 2017 - 07:51 AM.

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 362 posts

There was no change: Spacebar still works. Maybe there's something on your end that's causing that.

And yes, a 30-50% bonus to exp (considering the manuals are craftable) is kind of gamebreaking.

Edited by Lana Woo, 14 June 2017 - 03:37 AM.

kornosain

kornosain
  • 9 posts

interesting. i've found other topics depicting players' inability to heal by holding down [space] then left click:

http://forum.conarti...-space-to-heal/

http://forum.conarti...+spacebar +heal

all solutions posted indicate the use of toggling the [E] key, which i find rather cumbersome but if the [space] still works fine as you say, i guess i'll just check it out and see what i'm doing wrong. 

as for the exp boost, i find that when using challenge books, i just can't seem to feel the impact of a 10% exp bonus when playing. and other bonuses are just too impractical for other challenge books to merit any use at all. i've yet to encounter an exp+ manual though (haven't created a research bench yet, so i guess that's high level). as a casual player, i find that exp is just hard to come by. you can't go exp grinding because of lock-outs and mission return times. after all, you only have 24 hours in a day. but that's just me, i guess. 

Edited by kornosain, 17 June 2017 - 02:28 PM.

kornosain

kornosain
  • 9 posts

just got back to playing again. and i'm sorry, the [space] bar just really doesn't work. toggling the [E] key is really cumbersome for a casual like me and if this was an intentional update to make the game "hardcore" and coerce players to "git gud" well then count me out. toggling a button to heal compared to just holding the spacebar makes the game, too me, just downright unplayable. but i suppose at the end of the day, that would just be the measly opinion of a single insignificant casual who has never spent a dime on this game. CAG could probably care less whatever i say since i'm just one stupid player compared to the hundreds who do actually pay to play. if you find that i seem embittered with this post that is because after what i deem to be "enough practice" i tried a map at my survivors' level and well, ended up getting my ass handed over to me. all because i'm still not used to using [E] over [space]. yeah sure i'm a noob. whatever. the point is, this used to be a game i very much enjoyed back a few years ago. was it easier then? sure, i guess, hence me being a dick here. most of you would probably just say i just need to play a lot more and perhaps that is true. but for now, i guess i'll just stick with autos until then.

Fredswar1

Fredswar1
  • 271 posts

spacebar works for me... the problem might be on your end...

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 362 posts

1) The Spacebar issue is definitely not an intended change to make it "hardcore". Maybe they're all suggesting using the "E" key as a workaround, not as a solution. In fact, some of us have started experiencing problems with the numeric keys to select the survivors. Have you tried clearing your cache and restarting your browser? Ugrading Flash Player and your video drivers? What browser are you playing on? What computer? This will help to diagnose the problem.

2) The XP gain was limited to zones 5 levels below to prevent people from farming experience with low-level missions they could complete easily. This is not to make the game more "hardcore", is simply an omission that should have been there from the start and prevent exploits.

3) It's impossible for the game to prevent the player to refresh or close the window, since that's handled by the explorer itself (if that were the case, there could be annoying video ads that just refuse to close themselves). We brought that one on ourselves, since many people were exploiting this to play a mission again and again with no return time until they found something good; if we hadn't done that, we would still have a protection against disconnections and crashes.

Salif

Salif
  • 95 posts

spacebar heal still works.. just make sure you have your medic or leader selected when you hit the spacebar to heal another survivor

kornosain

kornosain
  • 9 posts

thanks for the replies.

1) The Spacebar issue is definitely not an intended change to make it "hardcore". Maybe they're all suggesting using the "E" key as a workaround, not as a solution. In fact, some of us have started experiencing problems with the numeric keys to select the survivors. Have you tried clearing your cache and restarting your browser? Ugrading Flash Player and your video drivers? What browser are you playing on? What computer? This will help to diagnose the problem.

2) The XP gain was limited to zones 5 levels below to prevent people from farming experience with low-level missions they could complete easily. This is not to make the game more "hardcore", is simply an omission that should have been there from the start and prevent exploits.

3) It's impossible for the game to prevent the player to refresh or close the window, since that's handled by the explorer itself (if that were the case, there could be annoying video ads that just refuse to close themselves). We brought that one on ourselves, since many people were exploiting this to play a mission again and again with no return time until they found something good; if we hadn't done that, we would still have a protection against disconnections and crashes.

1) judging from your comments, it's as though it is a hardware related issue. regarding browsers, this pc only has chrome on it. there is microsoft edge, but who uses that really? anyway, still limited to the [E] key. clearing the cache, refreshing, closing then re-opening the browser, none seem to clear it out. as far as flash version goes, the adobe website says my flash version is 26.0.0.131 on chrome. haven't tried on another computer so until i do, i can't say for certain.

2) the problem with this is that because i left the game a while back, my survivors were left severely under-leveled compared to the leader. besides, i fail to see any adverse effects from doing "easy" missions on lower levels. that or i'm missing something since you mention exploits (only one i'm aware of was the 'medic' mini mission which has already been rectified as i've tested). it's as though the game is really coercing casuals to "git gud" with this scheme, despite your comment on it not intending to make the game "hardcore". you try to even out the levels among your survivors by doing missions, but at the same time your leader also gains exp regardless. what this results in is that all efforts to bridge level gaps are rendered useless and you really have to do mission levels near the leader's level. at this point, i just don't know how to do that unless i force myself to "git gud". 

3) i guess that really is inevitable. the issue with refreshes escalated due to the alliance wars (note: scouting). sucks, but there's not much to do about now at this point, i guess. if it's really for the benefit of the game and the community, then so be it.

Edited by kornosain, 02 July 2017 - 05:50 AM.

kornosain

kornosain
  • 9 posts

edited the OP with some observations regarding AI compounds. i've finally gotten the chance to play on a different device and it would seem that the [E] key fiasco is in fact a hardware related issue. [space] works fine on other PCs except mine lol, dunno why. maybe i should get some Razer peripherals or something, dunno.