Photo

No More Updates To Warfare Online

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Con

Con
  • 4,105 posts
This is a tough topic to write.

Warfare Online is the result of 3 years of our lives and we felt it was the best game we'd ever made. The effort by us all was far beyond what we'd done in the past. 

Right from our closed beta last year and through Early Access, the game under performed as a free to play game. We put it down to a limited player base and needing to tweak a few things here and there. But it seems we were wrong. People just aren't sticking with the game long enough.

As it stands, we've had nearly 240,000 downloads. Of those people only about 1500 are logging in each day. The most users we've had online recently is under 100 at a time. 

Unfortunately, it's not enough for the game to be financially viable for us. As it stands, the server costs alone are more than the income we're getting from the game. That leaves us with no additional funds to keep developing the game any further.

At this point, we'll be looking to turn off the monetization in game in the near future. From there, we'll figure out what happens with the servers.

Thankyou to everyone who supported the game, I hope that knowing that your contributions (both monetary and enthusiasm) are what kept this game alive for the short time that it was. Everything you put in went into keeping the game running.

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 672 posts

It's a shame I never got the chance to play it, and I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

However I don't really think there was much room for the game to go in its current state. Some non-multiplayer stuff may have improved its life span; maybe 2v2, coop, etc. However I'm saying this with very limited knowledge on all of this and how much time it would have taken to add.

Good luck in your future endeavors. 

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,626 posts

Damn shame to hear Con :(

I finally got a good enough PC to play it and thought it was great.

Hope you are able to keep on chugging.

Con

Con
  • 4,105 posts

Damn shame to hear Con :(

I finally got a good enough PC to play it and thought it was great.

Hope you are able to keep on chugging.

Yep, Dead Zone lives on and continues to allow room for us to keep adding things. Warfare just isn't showing the same potential unfortunately.

lolzarz

lolzarz
  • 396 posts

Con, I think it may be worth a shot porting it to Flash and putting it on AG/Kong. That's a hell of a lot more exposure than you'd ever get on Steam or even on the forums, if only because the AG user base is far larger than the player base of TLS:DZ, let alone the forum user base. Hell, put up a demo called Warfare 2010, see what happens. I understand Warfare Online is a losing proposition already, but still.

Con

Con
  • 4,105 posts

Question: What will become of the Con Artists Games Accounts? The only purpose which they have served so far, was to allow people to play this game.

We might use them to send promos in future. We might also use them for future games. Who knows?

SaxPanther

SaxPanther
  • 1 posts

I played this game a huge amount, like 80 hours in a week or two, upon release. But, you know, after about the first week the game started feeling "dead on arrival," with no word from the developers or updates other than that one little hotfix. No roadmap for future developments, no nothing. It felt to me like the developers were purposefully avoiding communication with the players. I went on Steam forums, on Discord, nothing. As for the others, players who tried it and didn't like it... come on, you know exactly why. The game feels very pay2win. Progression feels slow. The monetization system was overpriced. You had to pay a lot of money for a very slight booster or crates which had a high chance of giving nothing useful. Even as a paying player I felt like the real money I spent was a very weak value proposition.

The reason it flopped had nothing to do with the quality of the game. The game itself was fine. Not to be harsh but I think you guys handled the launch very poorly... it's almost mind boggling to me how an experienced company with a successful product like Dead Zone could botch this. But I'm not here to criticize, because I actually quite liked the game overall. Just here to express my disappointment and surprise, I suppose. Good luck with your next endeavour, I have been following since 2007 and I'm excited to see what comes out next!

ruiyangggg

ruiyangggg
  • 1 posts

Why not start the ranked battles? I believe that ranking is what attracts players to join the game! Players will be more willing to spend if they know that spending will give them an edge. Right now there are no incentives to spend money as to make the squad stronger as there ain't much incentives. Perhaps when ranked battles begin, you will see a difference? Just my opinion.

GTBTHEGAMER

GTBTHEGAMER
  • 1 posts

No this is not real it cant be please say that you guys will at least make a way we can play the game offiline wity bots

passing player

passing player
  • 460 posts

well, RIP Warfare Online.

at least it was fun while it lasted. (for me, at least.)

Cygwin

Cygwin
  • 1 posts

Is it true that this game is less than 3 months in the public access? What do you want from people then? For example, I learned about this game quite recently, but after reading the post that there will be no more updates, I was very surprised. To be honest, even with the fact that online is quite small according to your post, I still find the game in no more than 1.5 minutes, and sometimes in a few seconds. I think you had to give the game a little more time, more players would know about that game.

Winspector

Winspector
  • 120 posts

What will become of the Warfare online Forum Section? 

Tbh, I personally wouldn't care if they were taken out completely, especially since y'all aren't supporting it anymore.

Few people, if any, became attached to Warfare Forums anyway.

Dude, honestly. 
Devs just told us that they're closing their new product which for them must be a horrible step. That's totally the wrong time to charge on them asking for free stuff because you registered somewhere and they said you'd get some. Or say some of the other things you said. Let it go and enjoy the game they are running. it offers more than enough opportunities to get stuff.
Have some empathy, ... maybe? 

______ 

Sorry the project flopped, Con. 
I have no idea why, because I haven't touched the product. It didn't interest me to begin with. But try see it as an adventure you took and learned experiences. 
Analogue to relationships, where you leave your old shady wife for someone new who is younger, more promissing and actually knows how to cook, but after three years with her you realize, it's all been a cloud of thin air and she leaves you for the gardener anyway. So if your next step is to return to your old wife, who I assume still loves you because you were working her greatly, that maybe means you're stuck with her for the rest of your days and get used to her stupid habits and her unwillingness to be greatful for the things you do but nag on you for every tiny mistake .... you could still always make it better between you and her and by that, at least sometimes, have a very great time. ...... 
.... you get the idea. 

TheCyborg1337

TheCyborg1337
  • 15 posts

I want to try the game, but now is too late :,c

lolzarz

lolzarz
  • 396 posts

Con, I read on Steam that you all are shutting down the servers on the 1st of Oct. Will we still be able to log in, fight battles against bots/Steam friends, etc.?

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,168 posts

Con, I read on Steam that you all are shutting down the servers on the 1st of Oct. Will we still be able to log in, fight battles against bots/Steam friends, etc.?

Against other players? Highly unlikely since you need the servers for that.

Vs. bots in practice mode?  that I have no idea.

Sev

Sev
  • 548 posts

You have probably already realised this, but no, you won't be able to play at all :(

The game is tightly integrated with back end servers.  All of the progression, user data and even bot matches require the servers to be running.