Photo

A Slew Of Issues Since Expansion

Black screen flash crash memory leak lag island static

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 89 posts

Since the expansion was launched me and many others have experienced many issues.

I have been trying to track down what the problem might be but it's hard to do. It's important to note that this is not client side.

The players having problem have not had them before the expansion. Not sure if this is only affecting Kong or if AG/FB is having trouble too.

- Black screen, when loading up a map, or the compound you get a black screen and have to refresh the game.

- The game much more frequently does not want to load, forcing you to refresh a few times.

- Island loading up and giving you the static screen.

- Excessive lag where before there was none.

- Survivors getting stuck in animations while the mission/raid keeps going, happens when for example in falling animation during a lag spike.

I am wondering if there is something in the expansion that is causing a memory leak, that would explain some of the issues seeing as they are not specific to any one browser or system. It would also explain why some people can run the game for longer without it crashing.

Are you also having issues recently?

Any comments from CaG?

/C

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 416 posts

For me is the lag and black screen ones (haven't encountered the others yet). The game doesn't actually respond to any clicks or key presses I make until after a couple minutes after it loads. Also, sometimes the game just freezes.

One thing I've noticed is that most missions load much faster now, or at least that's how it seems to me. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Edited by Lana Woo, 13 September 2017 - 02:09 AM.

passing player

passing player
  • 459 posts

I definitely agree with these issues.

Oftentimes my browser will lag insanely, despite there being only 1 tab and me sitting next to the wi-fi machine. Also, disconnect rate skyrocketed for me.

Edited by passing player, 14 September 2017 - 12:09 AM.

Ghost Recon

Ghost Recon
  • 516 posts

for me its seem that that the only issue is  just  the black screen when im on a mission as well as viewing my compound

Con

Con
  • 4,091 posts

There wasn't any code changes with the Expansion update, but there was a fair few content things that did change.

The map got bigger:

That'll increase the amount of memory your machine needs to load / unload. 

We added new locations:

The new maps might have performance issues and need to be adjusted. A lot of them are very dense by comparison to the ones we made in previous years. 

Now when you're talking about lag, you need to understand the difference between performance and network lag. It sounds like it's performance issues, which are causing the client to get into states where it shouldn't be. Basic actions like firing and movement, character animations and actions aren't run on the server. So if you're seeing your survivors getting stuck etc, it's happening because your machine can't keep up.

Can you give us some basic specifications of your computer?

rpklover

rpklover
  • 27 posts

I can promise you it's not performance on my part. 

I7700K processor

Geforce GTX 1060

32 GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengance RAM (2133MHz)

The game still is buggy like crazy.

Flash crashes during raids is the most annoying one. Well I think it'S a flash crash anyway. The game just freezes, survivors stop interacting, timer stops running. Then every minutes or 2, you hear 1 bullet shot and then it freezes again. Once the timer finally "ends", I either get a save fail or the game gets even more messed up that the screen image just turns dark.

It's common enough, I'm not the only one getting them.

It looks more like flash can't handle the size of the game or the details or something like that.

Thanks

ShamishA1

ShamishA1
  • 31 posts

Too many Flash Crash after the new pistol and other items are added, I can barely play the game now. :(

Looks like Flash can't handle all this data and stuff

Edited by ShamishA1, 19 September 2017 - 12:48 PM.

Con

Con
  • 4,091 posts

I can promise you it's not performance on my part. 

I7700K processor

Geforce GTX 1060

32 GB of DDR4 Corsair Vengance RAM (2133MHz)

The game still is buggy like crazy.

Flash crashes during raids is the most annoying one. Well I think it'S a flash crash anyway. The game just freezes, survivors stop interacting, timer stops running. Then every minutes or 2, you hear 1 bullet shot and then it freezes again. Once the timer finally "ends", I either get a save fail or the game gets even more messed up that the screen image just turns dark.

It's common enough, I'm not the only one getting them.

It looks more like flash can't handle the size of the game or the details or something like that.

Thanks

Browser? Location? Internet?

Specific maps? Complex compounds?

Par Sennah

Par Sennah
  • 25 posts

I will try to contribute something now. Typically I only show my disappointment.

Pretty sure most of those users who experience performance issues with high end PCs have a problem with one CPU core being completely choked while the overall CPU usage is normal. According to my observations, the game cannot properly utilize more than 1 CPU core. It is not an expansion related issue, most likely it's here from the very beginning. The more ram game uses, the more load will be applied that single core which is already struggling.

Here are a few of observations from my end.

1. Game runs perfectly fine even on Lenovo x250 laptop with integrated Intel graphics, but only for the first 4-5 manual missions. Then game gets persistently unresponsive, and more so the longer I continue playing. After a refresh and reconnect, game always returns to smooth operation. Perhaps oddly, on those first few missions, I can run them perfectly smooth even on the "Highest" graphical settings. Unfortunately, lowering the settings to 'Medium' or 'Low' does not eliminate the need for refreshes neither does it increase the count of missions I can run before a mandatory refresh. In case of Chrome browser, the game will crash itself before getting too unresponsive while Firefox does not crash itself but gets increasingly more unresponsive - if I don't refresh Firefox, eventually I will see a literal slideshow at around ~3 FPS. Not so surprisingly, it's possible to do unlimited amount of automated missions on this laptop - no problems encountered whatsoever.

2. Linux is not an option at all, but to be fair, this is not game's fault. There are 2 flash plugins available. Flash plugin for Linux browsers shipped by Adobe is out of date, buggy, and as they have said, they do not care to update it. This plugin doesn't support any GPU's with proper hardware acceleration. This buggy out of date Flash plugin is currently used by ALL Linux web browsers except for Chromium and those based on Chromium, such as Opera. Chromium uses their own pepperflash plugin. Unfortunately, this plugin too is terribly buggy and unstable. With Chromium or Opera on Linux, the game loads and you even get great performance due to supported hardware acceleration. As a downside, crashes occur far more often than in case of Chrome or Opera on Windows 10.  Chromium support publicly blames Nvidia for shipping low quality Linux drivers while Nvidia blames the plugin developers. Flash content on Linux is persona non grata. ALL Linux developer communities are waiting for Flash to die for good. Since Youtube already uses more HTML5 streaming than Flash, and support for Flash on Windows will go away in 2020, it's highly unlikely Flash on Linux will see better days ever again. Don't bother trying the game on Linux unless all you do is auto missions.

3. But now let's talk where it should matter for Conartist games. A proper gaming PC.

My gaming PC setup:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

- 32GB Corsair DDR4 RAM 2400Mhz

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

- Windows 10

- Browser Firefox or Chrome

- Location Tallinn or Lisbon (Europe)

- Internet 150Mbps down, 25Mbps up. Ethernet cable-connected.

- Manual missions typically played with 5 survivors

I'd expect the game to run better on my gaming PC compared to laptop with integrated graphics, but to my surprise I don't see any difference. First 4-5 missions are perfectly fine, after that, it's time to reconnect.

Nvidia drivers are up to date as well as other critical system drivers, but nothing seems to stop the game from crashing (Chrome) or slide-showing (Firefox). Resource usage observations:

- Memory usage 5.9G on 5th manual mission (when it starts to get unresponsive and low FPS). This is 5.9 out of 32, so definitely not a bottleneck

- CPU usage - 9%. BUT, one core out of 12 is at 99%. I found that the game only uses 1 core out of 12 cores available. Ryzen 5 1600 CPU has 6 physical cores which are divided into a total of 12 virtual cores/workers. So all in all, one CPU (v)core is struggling at 99% while the other 11 rest below 10% load. Most likely bottleneck here. It is a client-side bottleneck but why doesn't the game use more CPU cores than 1? Is there any configuration I must apply on my end?

- Graphics card utilization only at around 6%

FYI, I observed the exact same happens with my Lenovo x250 laptop which has Intel i7 mobile processor. One CPU core gets completely choked during 5.th manual mission while the overall CPU usage remains normal.

FYI2: For me, the problem at hand is not new. I played in 2015 while living in Belgium. This was long before expansion. "Game of refreshes" - was the nickname of this game according to in-game Public chat. It was very common already back then for people to spell out in game chat "brb, refreshing". 'Black screens' is a completely new issue I did not witness in 2015, and additionally 'white noise' screens. Both seem to occur sporadically. Black screen sometimes occurs after mission ends (compound loads) but the 'white noise' screen occurs while the mission itself is loading. And then the 3rd new problem is that issue of zombies stopping spawning at around 2:35 before mission's end. This also occurs sporadically in around 1 out of 7 missions, more likely to occur in bigger police stations and construction yards.

Edited by Par Sennah, 21 September 2017 - 12:52 AM.

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 89 posts

There wasn't any code changes with the Expansion update, but there was a fair few content things that did change.

The map got bigger:

We added new locations:

The new maps might have performance issues and need to be adjusted. A lot of them are very dense by comparison to the ones we made in previous years. 

Now when you're talking about lag, you need to understand the difference between performance and network lag. It sounds like it's performance issues, which are causing the client to get into states where it shouldn't be. Basic actions like firing and movement, character animations and actions aren't run on the server. So if you're seeing your survivors getting stuck etc, it's happening because your machine can't keep up.

The only thing that could be crapping out in my computer is the graphics card, although it has run the game without any hitches before, even with 3 accounts running at the same time. Like above posters have said it shouldn't seem to be a performance thing.

Another interesting thing is that I didn't even do manual missions before I started seeing issues while raiding (besides island of course) so my thinking is that there might be some new assets that are being trolly just from the initial load on? Just a guess a wild guess.

If you spend any amount of time on kongregate these days you will come across many more new players complaining about the game crashing and not loading than before (not counting the ones who just need to activate their flash plugin). Just an observation for what it's worth. I might be giving it more attention just because it's on my mind to be fair.

I have no idea why these issues popped up but I have changed nothing on my end so it seems far fetched that it should be a client side issue that just managed to happen exactly when a major update happened. Hope you can figure it out.

ChrisHitchens

ChrisHitchens
  • 89 posts

The map got bigger:

We added new locations:

The only thing that could be crapping out in my computer is the graphics card, although it has run the game without any hitches before, even with 3 accounts running at the same time. Like above posters have said there shouldn't be a performance issue but there is.

Another interesting thing is that I didn't even do manual missions before I started seeing issues while raiding (besides island of course) so my thinking is that there might be some new assets that are being trolly just from the initial load on? Just a guess a wild guess.

If you spend any amount of time on kongregate these days you will come across many more new players complaining about the game crashing and not loading than before (not counting the ones who just need to activate their flash plugin). Just an observation for what it's worth. I might be giving it more attention just because it's on my mind to be fair.

I have no idea why these issues popped up but I have changed nothing on my end so it seems far fetched that it should be completely unconnected to the one thing that did change I.E the game especially when there was a major update right before. Hope you can figure it out.

Edited by ChrisHitchens, Today, 09:46 AM.

rpklover

rpklover
  • 27 posts

@Con

It does it on every browser I use. Firefox, Vivaldi, Torch, Opera, Palemoon.

As for the maps, it seems to be exclusive to over level 55. It feels like the game can't handle the spawn rate of zeds, then begins to act funny and crashes.

The internet I'm using is 90 download, 10 upload, Canada.

It's not map specific, It happens in any large location. Same thing happened when HAZ was launched. It really looks like the game can't handle the high spawn rate of zeds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black screen, flash crash, memory leak, lag, island static