Photo

Weapon Types

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 91 posts

Somewhat unusual thing to be considering, but can we get some.....other weapon types?

Now I am NOT saying "add explosive weapons" as we all know how unbalanced those would be. One thing I would like to see are some more unusual improvised weapons. The longsaw was really one that stuck in my mind but why not any other guns that are similar?

I believe I mentioned the idea of a short ranged (mostly pve) flamethrower weapon which is quite easy to implement but I have no idea what people's thoughts are on this weapon. 

Additionally, I was thinking about some premium weapons: The Arc-Burn, The Hellslinger, The Tree-trimmer, Containment HW-50, Manning ES-1900, etc...

All these weapons have one thing in common: they use stats (kb, aps, dmg, capacity) in an unusual way that makes the weapon more interesting to use. I don't know what others think but having new types of weapons instead of your classic AR, LMG, LR and SMG with automatic fire and nothing else. The guns become boring. They add nothing new except textures and damage. 

Can we have more unusual weapons? It would really spice up the game sometimes.

NB: Ideas for flamethrower

- low range (9-12)

- very high aps (around 40-50) 

- shotgun effect (damage can hit multiple enemies)

- high capacity (500-700)

- for flame effects, use it like a normal gun, but increase the size of the "muzzle flash" effect and make it look like fire. That would allow for a continuous flame effect

- high damage per shot to make it an effective crowd control weapon.

- high knockback as well.

- average ammo cost

- backpack texture for fuel cans? idk, haven't thought about visuals yet

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 541 posts

From the General FAQ

Flame weapons like Molotovs and Flamethrowers!

We've discussed adding these, there's just a lot of work in the particle effects and animations that come along with them. It's a bunch of new mechanics for potentially a handful of weapons. We're looking at it, but don't have any immediate plans.

So it's a very low chance.

The point for adding new weapon types is that they have to have an utility that is not covered by existing weapon types. Two of the latest weapon types added, Bows and Heavy Weapons, covered the need for a low ammo cost ranged weapon, as an alternative to melee (Bows) and a defensive weapon with extremely high APS and suppression (Heavy Weapons).

If a flamethrower is implemented, what will it bring to the table except a new animation? What would be different in comparison to, let's say, a shotgun?

I would prefer the unusual stats you were mentioning. They give variety to the game, and can be used for different playstyles and strategies.

Edited by Lana Woo, 23 October 2017 - 05:28 PM.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 91 posts

From the General FAQ

So it's a very low chance.

The point for adding new weapon types is that they have to have an utility that is not covered by existing weapon types. Two of the latest weapon types added, Bows and Heavy Weapons, covered the need for a low ammo cost ranged weapon, as an alternative to melee (Bows) and a defensive weapon with extremely high APS and suppression (Heavy Weapons).

If a flamethrower is implemented, what will it bring to the table except a new animation? What would be different in comparison to, let's say, a shotgun?

I would prefer the unusual stats you were mentioning. They give variety to the game, and can be used for different playstyles and strategies.

True, I understand what you mean how the bows and miniguns add something new to account for gaps in the existing weapon types. What I hoped a flamethrower would achieve is unparalleled DPS with incredibly short range for really effective crowd control (less range than shotguns, but more dps).

Crowd control weapons are somewhat lacking since all weapons (except shotgun and melee) can hit only one target at a time. I hope a flamethrower would bring in better crowd control by hitting more than one zombie (maybe with a different system to the shotgun "spread").

Maybe no knockback at all would be more realistic, and would still give the shotguns the upper hand when it comes to slowing zombies.

Also, I saw the thing con posted about flame weapons. He said that it's possible, and they might work on it. It's not like explosive weapons which has already been heavily turned down. I'm not proposing incredibly long range weapons that can take down Watch Towers in a single hit.

Edited by Luisssboom, 23 October 2017 - 06:57 PM.

Cytroghost

Cytroghost
  • 144 posts

Flash bang grenade could be good, stunning opponents for 3 secs or something, make all of their shot missed. The only drawbacks is if not used carefully, we harm ourselves by the flash too.

From the General FAQ

Yes, this is the true definition. But look at the HR and the SKS Lana !  :v  what's the difference between them now ? Or the pistols and the SMGs ?

I think this definition of different cover in different stats no longer exist. So it is ok if Luisssboom's flamethrower is put on the table.