Remove the category/types of junk in the game so that players can have more effective inventory space, since junk effectively takes up 80 or so inventory spaces, and it is constantly being acquired to the point where recycling it is not a feasible option.
It's not exactly a new issue, but there are certain things to consider:
1) The junk is a balancing feature of the game. It gives you components and resources early in the game, and later it needs some resource management to use efficiently. It also limits the ability of DMU players to farm the whole map, like it says in the thread I linked.
Finally, it is needed to limit the amount of "quality" stuff that you can get; not everything is going to be gold, and "junk" items are needed for this. Getting rid of junk would be equivalent to getting rid of black, white and green weapons because "nobody need them anymore".
2) It' not true that it's not possible to recycle all junk, at least for non-DMU players. I have zero junk at the moment.
3) For DMU players, there are ways to get either more inventory spaces (buying the Inventory Expansion) or getting rid of junk efficiently (by using the Incinerator). Of course, like everything else in the game, you have to invest either time or money/fuel to get the result.
I'd really like the active gear, the medical items, the components, the research and the junk sections to still be there but not count towards the total item limit.
- Active gear only has 4+ items (depends if one has event versions).
- Medical items will always be at 34.
- Components are in great number and the majority are useless (aka only used once or twice in the entire game).
Also, incomplete kits are a pain.
- Research, again, about 40 inventory slots that are permanently occupied.
- Junk is junk. 80 slots that can be recycled into useful material, but still, forget about it once and then there's no way to recover. (DMU users)
Also, as a bonus thought about inventory space and data usage, a limit of 1,000 to any item in the inventory would be sufficient. There is really no need to have 40,000 copper wire. Some rarer and more valueable components, such as treated wood, has it's reasonablity at 1,000 as well.
The only limit-less components should be event ones.
Storing more data increases the rent cost of server space, so making it that some items don't count towards maximum storage is not really viable, since it would be the equivalent of adding more inventory slots. You would need to pay for it in cash.
The item limit would not really do anything (it would not, for example, reduce the number of slots occupied by components) and might even be harmful, since it would imply deleting stuff from players' inventories. You cannot assume all players will be OK with that.
Edited by Lana Woo, 02 December 2017 - 08:32 PM.