Photo

Remove Junk To Allow More Usable Inventory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 808 posts

The idea is simple for this one.

Remove the category/types of junk in the game so that players can have more effective inventory space, since junk effectively takes up 80 or so inventory spaces, and it is constantly being acquired to the point where recycling it is not a feasible option.

We could have it be translated directly into supplies or we could convert some of the usable ones to components for crafting; something like that to give players a few more inventory spots.

This idea came about because the thought of giving players more inventory would cost data space, however much of junk is not unique or super valuable and therefore can be eliminated with little consequence, benefiting players in the endgame with inventory space, as well as reducing data costs.

Downsides are a slight loss of immersion and less resources to obtain.

Theddy

Theddy
  • 13 posts

I'd really like the active gear, the medical items, the components, the research and the junk sections to still be there but not count towards the total item limit.

- Active gear only has 4+ items (depends if one has event versions).

- Medical items will always be at 34.

- Components are in great number and the majority are useless (aka only used once or twice in the entire game).

Also, incomplete kits are a pain.

- Research, again, about 40 inventory slots that are permanently occupied.

- Junk is junk. 80 slots that can be recycled into useful material, but still, forget about it once and then there's no way to recover. (DMU users)

Also, as a bonus thought about inventory space and data usage, a limit of 1,000 to any item in the inventory would be sufficient. There is really no need to have 40,000 copper wire. Some rarer and more valueable components, such as treated wood, has it's reasonablity at 1,000 as well.

The only limit-less components should be event ones.

RainbowDash_Love

RainbowDash_Love
  • 217 posts

I dont want to lose my 20k treated wood :o

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 541 posts

Remove the category/types of junk in the game so that players can have more effective inventory space, since junk effectively takes up 80 or so inventory spaces, and it is constantly being acquired to the point where recycling it is not a feasible option.

It's not exactly a new issue, but there are certain things to consider:

1) The junk is a balancing feature of the game. It gives you components and resources early in the game, and later it needs some resource management to use efficiently. It also limits the ability of DMU players to farm the whole map, like it says in the thread I linked.

Finally, it is needed to limit the amount of "quality" stuff that you can get; not everything is going to be gold, and "junk" items are needed for this. Getting rid of junk would be equivalent to getting rid of black, white and green weapons because "nobody need them anymore".

2) It' not true that it's not possible to recycle all junk, at least for non-DMU players. I have zero junk at the moment.

3) For DMU players, there are ways to get either more inventory spaces (buying the Inventory Expansion) or getting rid of junk efficiently (by using the Incinerator). Of course, like everything else in the game, you have to invest either time or money/fuel to get the result.

I'd really like the active gear, the medical items, the components, the research and the junk sections to still be there but not count towards the total item limit.

- Active gear only has 4+ items (depends if one has event versions).

- Medical items will always be at 34.

- Components are in great number and the majority are useless (aka only used once or twice in the entire game).

Also, incomplete kits are a pain.

- Research, again, about 40 inventory slots that are permanently occupied.

- Junk is junk. 80 slots that can be recycled into useful material, but still, forget about it once and then there's no way to recover. (DMU users)

Also, as a bonus thought about inventory space and data usage, a limit of 1,000 to any item in the inventory would be sufficient. There is really no need to have 40,000 copper wire. Some rarer and more valueable components, such as treated wood, has it's reasonablity at 1,000 as well.

The only limit-less components should be event ones.

Storing more data increases the rent cost of server space, so making it that some items don't count towards maximum storage is not really viable, since it would be the equivalent of adding more inventory slots. You would need to pay for it in cash.

The item limit would not really do anything (it would not, for example, reduce the number of slots occupied by components) and might even be harmful, since it would imply deleting stuff from players' inventories. You cannot assume all players will be OK with that.

Edited by Lana Woo, 02 December 2017 - 08:32 PM.

Theddy

Theddy
  • 13 posts

To be honest I don't mind the challenge of keeping junk in check as a DMU user, it adds a challenge to everyday play.

I was just saying that the mentioned item categories are straight up forced inventory space.

And that effective inventory space is basically X - 220. (Research, Components, Medical Items, Active Gear)

I assumed that the limitation of component numbers lowers the data cost too and that it would compensate for the exclusion of the stated categories

towards the item total.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,177 posts

Inventory management exists by design.  The problem lies in that that when the game first came out, there were a lot less items.  Books, medical items, research, crafting kits, tactics manuals, and more have all been added, meanwhile the number of storage spaces and junk items remains the same.   When the game first came out, it wasn't a problem keeping storage well below 500 items, as there wasn't a lot of items to save.   Fast forward to today and players are struggling with 1000 items at times, never mind 500 -- and that doesn't even include the most rabid collectors.

What I'd like to see is junk compressed from 86 odd items into...

Three.

i.e

Metal Scrap, Wood Scrap and Cloth Scrap.   You still have to process (i.e. recycle) to get usable materials, but the number of slots (and storage space) would be drastically reduced.

---

There are a couple of ways you could the loss of components, since you're no longer getting them from junk anymore.  The easiest way would be to just increase the drop rate, since you can already find all components without having to recycle junk to get them.   A more convoluted method would be to use a fourth junk item -- component scrap.   Recycling one unit of component scrap would produce up to three random components.   I don't like the second method as much because it'd be  harder to implement and more frustrating (especially early on) when you're looking for a specific component.

Cempa

Cempa
  • 23 posts

Or just give us 250 more slots as a default or make it fuel purchasable....