#Better Loot :) #New Zones #CAG Team

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

POPULAR

op0mNZ.png

Crash Sites: an idea that has been popping around in my head for a long time. Not only the location for good loot to be found around the Deadzone, but with the introduction of the high activity zones. Crash sites can be seen as a random event that happens all over the dead zone.

Edit to Story: HERC has been creating new types of weapons and Armor. They are designed to wipe out you and everyone left in the Dead Zone. This treachery cannot go unchecked. We have to do something before HERC unleashes its plan to wipe out the Dead Zone.

Timeline of New HERC invasion.

Day 1: Rumors have it all over the dark zone of HERC helicopters fueling the beginnings of a new era of HERC soldiers. They have the weapons, gear, and soldiers to wipe out the rest of the survivors in the dead zone. Maybe if we can figure out what weapons they have. We can figure out a way to beat back this HERC initiative before it gets too out of hand.

Day 5: HERC Choppers visibly seen flying overhead in the Dead Zone. Intercepted radio chatter from HERC frequencies, it sounds like a woman, possibly a Doctor. She seems to be talking about some sort of new HERC mission. "Initiate...*breaks in and out* one of program Alpha"

Day 8: HERC chopper shot down by Survivors in the Dead Zone, we should try and get there before anyone else does. Humvees seen leaving HERC bases scrambling to recover the downed helicopter

Day 11: HERC forces seen re-entering Zones that they had abandoned. New gear seen from afar, They don't seem to be hurt when attacked by Zombies.

Day 15: Another chopper shot down today, once we figure out what's in these choppers we should be able to stop HERC.

Day 17: Followed by HERC Humvee on my return from Scavenging, managed to lose them in a crowd of infected.

Day 22: People are getting scared, HERC is growing bolder. They are now pushing their presence throughout the Dead Zone, proclaiming that they are recruiting for their great cause.

Day 25: Its almost been one month since HERC has begun to take back the Dead Zone, we have fought too hard to be wiped out now. We have to fight back.

Day 30: A new broadcast has started, Major alliances that have now been at war are now joining forces in an effort to push back the HERC invaders. HERC are not backing down, we hear the amount of choppers overhead increase.

Day 33: HERC forces are now being engaged on the outskirts of the Island as they push their way towards the terror dome. Choppers are being shot down left and right from the chaos in the Zones.

Day 36: The first line of Defence against the HERC onslaught has been destroyed. The few alliances that risk their men are not enough. We need an army.

Present Day. Tell me what you think.

Now, these are heavily armed choppers from HERC. They want their supplies back, but even scarier is the noise has drawn the dead from every sewer and backyard. (This story just adds the idea that either HERC or zombies could spawn in). Like on the Island. Instead of having the problem only in the entrance, it should also be a fight to get out of the crash site. With the loot, you have obtained. Will you survive the crash site, or will you join the pilot and crew?

Locations: Anywhere, all over the map. Spaces where the devs have not put loot places before, broken buildings, fields. Anywhere. They would be random events like the high activity zones, thus making them very special and not able to be auto missioned. They will spawn every 24 hours. Also, they can be placed on top of other buildings such as an office. except not entering the building it will be on the outside of the building.

bandicam_2018_03_19_09_39_45_829.jpg
Thanks to RYVDYASJV

Loot: The loot would be the highest available since the HERC was sending in a heavily armed battalion. Since it is a very heavily armed battalion there should be a higher chance of looting a quality item in this zone.

Edit: Loot will come from one of three ways. We have the original way of loot boxes over the map, you have to scavenge the quick before you are bombarded with attacks from the enemy in which you face. Dead or alive. However it can come in a few different 'cooler' ways, We can have a code in one of the crates. Like a code you would enter to unlock a briefcase, except it would be called a 'Herc Supply Code' which would apply to the HERC supply box that is in the chopper guaranteeing a unique or something similar. Or there are dead HERC personnel with extremely valuable loot on them, they would be different models than the ones we have for regular dead bodies. 

Leveling for Zombies: The crash site infected would be at least 5 levels above your leader. Since the loot will be very good, mostly armor and weapons. The Infected would be extremely hard since they are coming from all around the Dead Zone since the noise has drawn them. The new boss infected would be spawned every so many minutes, so your objective is to get the loot and scram. These infected would be accompanied by many other infected just to make them harder to target.

Leveling for Herc: They want their shit back, and some survivors are gonna try and steal their gear from their men? Hell no. The HERC has commanded a very aggressive retrieval of their supplies. They will stop at nothing. Against the Herc, time is not your friend. Since they scrambled their forces to retrieve the goods, heavy units are inbound after the first initial rounds of regular HERC soldiers.

Spawning for HERC: This idea might seem weird, but having the HERC spawning in like zombies almost, except they spawn wherever you are not. Giving them time to spawn in and take positions to make your time difficult when trying to leave the crash site. I fear balance issues if they are able to spawn a huge force and block the exit with suppression. So balancing will be key to this idea.

Edit: HERC spawning would be based on a select number of spawns per 'wave' (what we will call it for now). The first round of backup is a basic HERC soldier with SV-SMGs (Basic). However, once the waves progress, until your survival. The HERC reinforcements will become armored and have weapons rivaling your own.

Timing in the MAP: I had an unusual idea, for every hour or so you wait the level of the infected or HERC grows. Something where the early bird gets the worm, and it makes it easier for the survivor if they go as soon as it spawns in. Gives people a reason to log on to try their luck.

Edit: Balance: This is an are that should be stressed heavily since this would be breaking new ground for CAG we should try and work out the kinks we would see that would hinder this mission type with what we have discussed so far.

Hopefully, you guys liked this idea, but please hit me with some criticism. I love it xD

Edited by AZ Leader, 22 March 2018 - 03:05 AM.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

I like this idea. It's like a more challenging HAZ XD. 

I guess since herc are trying to get their stuff back, they wouldn't have set up mines, or would they? I feel like adding mines to the whole bunch will make things much harder, since you'd be relying on triple resists and tons of dps. Also, will herc attack infected or not? Would make sense if they do.

On top of that, like the herc spawning idea, I like that too. There should be a limit to the number of herc that can spawn (the same is apparent for zombies in a mission, only a certain number can spawn and some zombies "weigh" more than others). So you could assign "spawn values" to each herc type (shotgun=1, smg=1, AK=2, RPK=3, VS=2, MSR=2, Minigun=3) and have a limit to the number of herc points available on the map at one time (limit of 10 or something, so you could have 3 RPK herc and 1 smg herc at once, or 4 shotgun herc and 1 AK herc).

The reason I say shotgun and smg = to 1 is because their range is muuuch lower. RPK has best dps and range balance hence the higher value. Minigun is just annoying so 3 again XD. VS and MSR I've given 2 because they have range, but also a min effective range. AK gets 1 coz good range and decent dps, but not as crappy as the smg and shotty herc.

As for infected, well, maybe the number that spawn could be similar to that of the terror dome? But they spawn more frequently. Again, I don't know how this will balance too well.

But honestly, love the idea. Maybe there can be a special spot that you can loot (like the chopper itself) which gives you a reward crate with guaranteed valuable items (like a raid haul or TD box). Obviously, chopper will take longer to search and be harder to get to (probably farthest thing from the spawn point).

Great work already on lore and story I guess XD. I'd be happy to provide ideas in terms of gameplay and balancing.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

I like this idea. It's like a more challenging HAZ XD. 

I guess since herc are trying to get their stuff back, they wouldn't have set up mines, or would they? I feel like adding mines to the whole bunch will make things much harder, since you'd be relying on triple resists and tons of dps. Also, will herc attack infected or not? Would make sense if they do.

On top of that, like the herc spawning idea, I like that too. There should be a limit to the number of herc that can spawn (the same is apparent for zombies in a mission, only a certain number can spawn and some zombies "weigh" more than others). So you could assign "spawn values" to each herc type (shotgun=1, smg=1, AK=2, RPK=3, VS=2, MSR=2, Minigun=3) and have a limit to the number of herc points available on the map at one time (limit of 10 or something, so you could have 3 RPK herc and 1 smg herc at once, or 4 shotgun herc and 1 AK herc).

The reason I say shotgun and smg = to 1 is because their range is muuuch lower. RPK has best dps and range balance hence the higher value. Minigun is just annoying so 3 again XD. VS and MSR I've given 2 because they have range, but also a min effective range. AK gets 1 coz good range and decent dps, but not as crappy as the smg and shotty herc.

As for infected, well, maybe the number that spawn could be similar to that of the terror dome? But they spawn more frequently. Again, I don't know how this will balance too well.

But honestly, love the idea. Maybe there can be a special spot that you can loot (like the chopper itself) which gives you a reward crate with guaranteed valuable items (like a raid haul or TD box). Obviously, chopper will take longer to search and be harder to get to (probably farthest thing from the spawn point).

Great work already on lore and story I guess XD. I'd be happy to provide ideas in terms of gameplay and balancing.

You nailed it on the part of looting the helicopter for a unique haul or maybe just a unique in general. I think the best thing would there to be boxes that have fallen out of the chopper, and one of them includes a very sought after supply box that is a definite unique. But you have to find the box, thus making you have to be efficient in your search. (Also making it harder, instead of being given a unique by just searching the helicopter and scrambling to get out.) As well as holding off the infected while you are looting the surrounding areas. The pilot and crew will definitely be searchable, and possibly the killed HERC for ammo or just premium items, most of the time finding nothing but rarely finding a premium weapon that is unique to the crash sites. The building itself will not have loot since you are there for the chopper that has either hit the building or is in the street. 

Would love to hear your ideas on balancing. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Edited by AZ Leader, 19 March 2018 - 04:13 PM.

RYVDYASJV

RYVDYASJV
  • 26 posts

This are the kind of places you are meaning?, because it will be REALLY great.

Edited by RYVDYASJV, 19 March 2018 - 04:47 PM.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

You nailed it on the part of looting the helicopter for a unique haul or maybe just a unique in general. I think the best thing would there to be boxes that have fallen out of the chopper, and one of them includes a very sought after supply box that is a definite unique. But you have to find the box, thus making you have to be efficient in your search. (Also making it harder, instead of being given a unique by just searching the helicopter and scrambling to get out.) As well as holding off the infected while you are looting the surrounding areas. The pilot and crew will definitely be searchable, and possibly the killed HERC for ammo or just premium items, most of the time finding nothing but rarely finding a premium weapon that is unique to the crash sites. The building itself will not have loot since you are there for the chopper that has either hit the building or is in the street. 

Would love to hear your ideas on balancing. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'll give you more feedback on balancing and mechanics once we get a general idea of what people think. I feel like if we flesh this out nicely, all Con will have to do is program it into the game instead of come up with tons of balancing requirements XD. Maybe Herc will just be a good source of XP like on the island instead of killing them for loot and ammo, since people may farm them to get stuff which doesn't work anymore balancing wise.

Also, I was thinking, to encourage people to go deeper, make it so that the farther from spawn, the more loot containers, maybe even some fuel containers.

Maybe you will also need to complete some set tasks to get to the chopper, like disabling some beacons or comms hubs before the door to the chopper opens. I don't know if the game can support such a mechanic, but it could be quite interesting.

If we make this quite a complicated mission, we could always make it one where you can have 7 or 8 survivors, but make it a BIG map where taking 5 is a bit harder. Controlling 8 survivors can be very hard, and maybe it would encourage people to try "team" tactics, where 4 go off to one place, and 4 take a different route. But for this particular idea is much more far-fetched. For now, let's keep it simple, but maybe an 8 survivor mission would be quite interesting.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

Yeah those were some of the places I had in mind. they would have to add a few I feel to the higher levels since there are less of that kind of building rubble. But yeah that was the idea.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

Yeah those were some of the places I had in mind. they would have to add a few I feel to the higher levels since there are less of that kind of building rubble. But yeah that was the idea.

I'll give you more feedback on balancing and mechanics once we get a general idea of what people think. I feel like if we flesh this out nicely, all Con will have to do is program it into the game instead of come up with tons of balancing requirements XD. Maybe Herc will just be a good source of XP like on the island instead of killing them for loot and ammo, since people may farm them to get stuff which doesn't work anymore balancing wise.

Also, I was thinking, to encourage people to go deeper, make it so that the farther from spawn, the more loot containers, maybe even some fuel containers.

Maybe you will also need to complete some set tasks to get to the chopper, like disabling some beacons or comms hubs before the door to the chopper opens. I don't know if the game can support such a mechanic, but it could be quite interesting.

If we make this quite a complicated mission, we could always make it one where you can have 7 or 8 survivors, but make it a BIG map where taking 5 is a bit harder. Controlling 8 survivors can be very hard, and maybe it would encourage people to try "team" tactics, where 4 go off to one place, and 4 take a different route. But for this particular idea is much more far-fetched. For now, let's keep it simple, but maybe an 8 survivor mission would be quite interesting.

Your idea of the completing tasks to open the door. I like that idea, perhaps on of the crates has a keycard, which once looted you can open the crate next to the chopper, or something similar.

I feel there is a reason to cons 5 survivor rule, Flash is an unforgiving program to run a game on. Once set in stone like this game is, it is very hard for flash to hold so much activity within a browser. So lets keep it five survivors, to help the game from crashing. 

Now back to the mechanics behind the chopper. Perhaps there are survivors alive from the helicopter. They are a heavily armoured team. We could have them defend the chopper, We have an allotted time before back up arrives, or infected. ETC.

RYVDYASJV

RYVDYASJV
  • 26 posts

Your idea of the completing tasks to open the door. I like that idea, perhaps on of the crates has a keycard, which once looted you can open the crate next to the chopper, or something similar.

I feel there is a reason to cons 5 survivor rule, Flash is an unforgiving program to run a game on. Once set in stone like this game is, it is very hard for flash to hold so much activity within a browser. So lets keep it five survivors, to help the game from crashing. 

Now back to the mechanics behind the chopper. Perhaps there are survivors alive from the helicopter. They are a heavily armoured team. We could have them defend the chopper, We have an allotted time before back up arrives, or infected. ETC.

and what about the time to do loot, kill, moving, search, etc...
10 mins like the island would be enough or can be more time, besides if herc request backup how many time they took, i think 30 to 60 seconds will be enought, despite of the infected spawn time.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

and what about the time to do loot, kill, moving, search, etc...
10 mins like the island would be enough or can be more time, besides if herc request backup how many time they took, i think 30 to 60 seconds will be enought, despite of the infected spawn time.

Spitballing at the moment, but I think it should be twelve minutes. Highly armored enemies to begin with, and then you have to account for the looting of the boxes around the vicinity of the chopper. So around 12 minutes would be fantastic.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

Yeah, that could be cool to have a set of survivors that are pre-spawned there on top of the regular ones that spawn. I guess there could always be 1 minigun herc since the chopper would usually have a minigun and they would've salvaged it and turned it into a defensive turret? XD.

Maybe in game, you have a countdown timer for when Herc backup arrives. Have the mission last 10-12 mins, and make herc backup come at around 5-6mins in. This gives the player time to prepare. 

Also, yeah, let's go just 5 survivors each time, but make it a very linear map similar to the Bridge mission on island (loooong rectangular map).

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 648 posts

I said it before and I'll say it again: I would really love if this idea gets implemented.

Maybe I'm pushing it a little too far, but I like the idea of booby-trapping the entrance to help you in the escape route, in the style of the older TLS games where you could put bear traps, mines and gas tanks to help you. Maybe not all of them were effective (let's say, they were found and disabled by HERC), or maybe they weren't positioned right and nobody fell for them. It would give engineers something to do, though.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

I said it before and I'll say it again: I would really love if this idea gets implemented.

Maybe I'm pushing it a little too far, but I like the idea of booby-trapping the entrance to help you in the escape route, in the style of the older TLS games where you could put bear traps, mines and gas tanks to help you. Maybe not all of them were effective (let's say, they were found and disabled by HERC), or maybe they weren't positioned right and nobody fell for them. It would give engineers something to do, though.

I like the idea of a bit of Trap Karma on those pesky herc XD. They got me on the island, now it's time I get them XD.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the idea. Any more ideas will be completely welcome, I am going to slowly start writing some of the ideas into the post itself. So people can get an a quick view of the idea without reading every post.

lolzarz

lolzarz
  • 400 posts

Am I the only one who thinks HERC spawning in a way similar to zombies is not a good idea?

Yes, I get it, they want their guns back and they probably want to bury their dead. That doesn't mean they get to throw waves of men into a hostile zone with both (extremely heavily armed) survivors and giant hordes of zombies. Unless the DZ is truly the only region still under zombie infestation (unlikely given the events of The Last Stand 1 and 2), HERC and the US in general should be in pretty bad shape. Is what you said about paradropping onto the field in the middle of the mission possible? Yes, of course. But I think it unlikely HERC won't cut their losses after losing 20 dudes in one mission. After all, no point in trying to get the guns back when you lost even more on your dead infantry.

Also, I am not actually sure the combat AI is smart enough to get HERC infantry (basically reskinned survivors) to move into cover. When we go to fight Union Island, the HERC infantry spawns at preset positions and do not move. Unless paradropping actually means the spawn area actually being in cover, I have serious doubts about this working. And if the spawn area is in cover, why not just use the Union Island model and have HERC spawned in at map loading?

Edited by lolzarz, 21 March 2018 - 02:42 AM.

RYVDYASJV

RYVDYASJV
  • 26 posts

Am I the only one who thinks HERC spawning in a way similar to zombies is not a good idea?

Yes, I get it, they want their guns back and they probably want to bury their dead. That doesn't mean they get to throw waves of men into a hostile zone with both (extremely heavily armed) survivors and giant hordes of zombies. Unless the DZ is truly the only region still under zombie infestation (unlikely given the events of The Last Stand 1 and 2), HERC and the US in general should be in pretty bad shape. Is what you said about paradropping onto the field in the middle of the mission possible? Yes, of course. But I think it unlikely HERC won't cut their losses after losing 20 dudes in one mission. After all, no point in trying to get the guns back when you lost even more on your dead infantry.

Also, I am not actually sure the combat AI is smart enough to get HERC infantry (basically reskinned survivors) to move into cover. When we go to fight Union Island, the HERC infantry spawns at preset positions and do not move. Unless paradropping actually means the spawn area actually being in cover, I have serious doubts about this working. And if the spawn area is in cover, why not just use the Union Island model and have HERC spawned in at map loading?

I think the idea is not about literally herc spawning like a infected, but is more like 5 or 10 of them each time.

Edited by RYVDYASJV, 21 March 2018 - 03:20 AM.

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

I believe you took me too literally. My idea was to have HERC spawn in intervals of 5-10 per wave. And they would simply run to cover, not a hard AI to code I don't think. They would then stay in cover and begin firing at our survivors.

Maruse

Maruse
  • 781 posts

love it.

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

I completely understand your point both lore wise and programming wise. As answered by AZ and RYVDYASJV, it should be such a difficult thing to do and they wouldn't be spawning in hordes likes infected, so that solves the numbers issue in some ways.

But the more important reason is to try this idea (from my perspective) is that it's something different. Reinforcements and moving ranged enemies is not something you get in raids and on the island and if Con can get it right, it could be such an interesting feature. 

The reason we don't want to use the union island cover is this: We want the player to be fighting both ways (heading to the chopper and back). If no more herc come, all that the player would have to worry about are a few infected (since we don't want them to spawn in such great numbers like in missions because of the mixed combat with herc). Having the herc "respawn" to try and stop the player from returning could be a solution, or we could make the map really large and linear, but that might end up being a bit boring.

From the lore's side, it would make sense if herc is desperately trying to recover weapons and stuff, since they would be running low on supplies and would need to gear up to protect themselves. Think about how many die on the island XD..........you'd expect them to change things up a bit, right? XD

Aubrey Dickson

Aubrey Dickson
  • 634 posts

I`m curious as what kind of helicopter it would be though would it be like a Chinook or V22 Osprey or one of the military variants of the Sikorsky S-70 ? or maybe there would be a chance to get one of those 3 depending on the size of the crash site like a large crash site could have a Chinook/Osprey   and a smaller sized crash site could have a Black Hawk or maybe a Seahawk for coastal crash sites to give smaller sized crash sites different variants like the larger crash sites 

Luisssboom

Luisssboom
  • 164 posts

I`m curious as what kind of helicopter it would be though would it be like a Chinook or V22 Osprey or one of the military variants of the Sikorsky S-70 ? or maybe there would be a chance to get one of those 3 depending on the size of the crash site like a large crash site could have a Chinook/Osprey   and a smaller sized crash site could have a Black Hawk or maybe a Seahawk for coastal crash sites to give smaller sized crash sites different variants like the larger crash sites 

That could be cool. Different helicopters XD.