Photo

Unity In The Dead Zone

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

UNITY Discussion.

What is Unity? Unity is an engine that allows developers like CAG or any others for example to create games that have beautiful graphics and very smooth performance. Unity has some huge games being built using its engine. Like Bethesda studios using it to make their mobile games look great and run smoothly. Its powers a lot of Indie titles do to the success of Unity’s cost-effective software. That’s UNITY in a nutshell, very brief, but essentially it is a program that helps developers create games.

Have you ever thought about porting the entire dead zone into Unity? If there is anything that could save this game and probably push it towards Unity and a more stable platform that can handle a game with as many moving variables as The last stand dead zone. I was doing some research and I found a similar game that started out on flash as you guys have however moved over completely to Unity.

https://unity3d.com/showcase/case-stories/creakycorpse-deadfrontier

Dead Frontier is the name of this other game, and I am in no way advertising or suggesting that people should switch over because I think its a worse game. However, their game has fewer bugs and kinks due to a stable engine that is used more naturally for games of this size. All this is a question of have you guys thought about it in the past? If so, why haven’t you implemented an engine like this? Or do you guys have plans to move over to Unity?

That's all for today, hopefully, you guys find this and humor me with an answer. I respect if you’d rather not answer, seeing that it's your game and you can take it whichever direction you think fits best.

I think I'll end with I love this game to bits, and I'd hate to see it die out. You guys are doing your very best to keep everything fresh and new, but maybe its the appearance of everything that needs the update. I might not be the first person to say this, but I don't think I'll be the last.

renankey

renankey
  • 46 posts

i can relate that unity is a very good engine. i dunno the cost/work to export dz to it tbh. i've seen the case of a game now called "magic and empire" that migrate from flash to unity and i can say it was a good exchange.  

cheers friend!

Aubrey Dickson

Aubrey Dickson
  • 705 posts

the thing is would people actually continue playing if all their hardwork was lost when it would be ported ? i don`t think collectors would like losing everything they have gotten over the past 6 years i mean the same thing will happen when the game shuts down but collectors will probably have less of a problem with that but if the game is ported to unity and everyone loses their progress the collectors will think that con cares more about getting money from newer players than players that have been here since the game first started 

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

the thing is would people actually continue playing if all their hardwork was lost when it would be ported ? i don`t think collectors would like losing everything they have gotten over the past 6 years i mean the same thing will happen when the game shuts down but collectors will probably have less of a problem with that but if the game is ported to unity and everyone loses their progress the collectors will think that con cares more about getting money from newer players than players that have been here since the game first started 

I think you have missed my point, the game would virtually remain the same ie weapons and gear would be maintained as well as everything else. However the whole game would be revamped to be looking much better. There is a lot of code behind Dead Zone and Im pretty sure they have a database with everyones stuff. So if they did upgrade the game they would be able to upload this saved data to a new updated version of TLS:DZ

Aubrey Dickson

Aubrey Dickson
  • 705 posts

I think you have missed my point, the game would virtually remain the same ie weapons and gear would be maintained as well as everything else. However the whole game would be revamped to be looking much better. There is a lot of code behind Dead Zone and Im pretty sure they have a database with everyones stuff. So if they did upgrade the game they would be able to upload this saved data to a new updated version of TLS:DZ

Really? I did not know that is what happens with ports 

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

Really? I did not know that is what happens with ports 

When it's an online game, there is a huge database that is behind every mission. Every unique, every premium, etc. They have them as numbers and values. So if they use the same database system in Unity its a copy and paste job.

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 695 posts

I don't know much about porting, but I don't think you can just copy-paste information between two different databases intended for different platforms (and probably in different formats), especially in a game as complex as this one. There must be some technical considerations for conversions and many things would probably have to be made from scratch. The database structure may not even be directly compatible, and in the worst-case scenario it would need to be filled manually.

However, I do agree that Flash Player is showing its age, especially because this game was already stretching its limits when it launched (few flash games can look this good and have as many stuff as this one), and I would love to see this game on a better platform, but the work and money needed to port this game is far from what one might think at a first sight, and it's indeed the decisive factor.

renankey

renankey
  • 46 posts

the game i mention above "magic and empire" import user data with no problem, but well... i dunno the complexity of doing this

RainbowDash_Love

RainbowDash_Love
  • 278 posts

I rather have the game in HTML 5 format if im totally honest with you. Besides i think Con Artist Games in its current state a company which is struggeling to get a larger player base have something else on their minds then switch over from Flash to Unity for example. Take note I rather want more content then a ported game to a much stabler format. Yet i would like both. 

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

I rather have the game in HTML 5 format if im totally honest with you. Besides i think Con Artist Games in its current state a company which is struggeling to get a larger player base have something else on their minds then switch over from Flash to Unity for example. Take note I rather want more content then a ported game to a much stabler format. Yet i would like both. 

What I mean is not only a port. But a re-imagining from Flash to Unity, Dead Frontier my example saw its player base rise exponentially after they switched from flash to Unity since it meant that they could have way better graphics etc. I totally agree with you, Con has bigger things on their plates as of right now. However, I think they should heavily consider this since their project of a few years now 'Warfare Online' utilized the Unity engine.

RainbowDash_Love

RainbowDash_Love
  • 278 posts

What I mean is not only a port. But a re-imagining from Flash to Unity, Dead Frontier my example saw its player base rise exponentially after they switched from flash to Unity since it meant that they could have way better graphics etc. I totally agree with you, Con has bigger things on their plates as of right now. However, I think they should heavily consider this since their project of a few years now 'Warfare Online' utilized the Unity engine.

I know what you mean AZ. But its not that simple this game was coded in Flash you have to recode it and design(if that is what you mean) into unity. Unity is ok and all but also a very heavy for systems. Imagine, you are young and you have a rather dated pc/laptop you played this game daily for the past year and then the unity release of DZ will go live and you keep all the stuff etc. But your pc cant run it a reasonable FPS. But it ran fine on Flash. So flash version got taken offline then what? Have to get a new laptop? Even on current pcs with 4gb ram and decent processor for its time the game runs at like 20-30 fps. I know this isnt very high end machines but i think the most players dont have a 2500$ gaming machine.

I would love the game look nicer and more stable. But for the past couple years ive played the game fine. I see alot of bug reports some of which i never or rarely have. But i know CAG is familar with Unity we have to see whats going to happen i hope Con will come into the Forums more often and talk to us avout the current state of the game

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

I know what you mean AZ. But its not that simple this game was coded in Flash you have to recode it and design(if that is what you mean) into unity. Unity is ok and all but also a very heavy for systems. Imagine, you are young and you have a rather dated pc/laptop you played this game daily for the past year and then the unity release of DZ will go live and you keep all the stuff etc. But your pc cant run it a reasonable FPS. But it ran fine on Flash. So flash version got taken offline then what? Have to get a new laptop? Even on current pcs with 4gb ram and decent processor for its time the game runs at like 20-30 fps. I know this isnt very high end machines but i think the most players dont have a 2500$ gaming machine.

I would love the game look nicer and more stable. But for the past couple years ive played the game fine. I see alot of bug reports some of which i never or rarely have. But i know CAG is familar with Unity we have to see whats going to happen i hope Con will come into the Forums more often and talk to us avout the current state of the game

Definetly I agree that Unity is probably harder to run. However I ran games much heavier than Dead Zone on a laptop 6 years ago when games had more 3d moving parts and huge spawning entities. I think everyone would mostly be fine if they switched over, however I get your point. Of course Id love for this game top survive as many are swapping up for more advanced games. 

I just hope they are able to update it a bit so it will please people who are just starting and they will stay.

My Chemical Zord

My Chemical Zord
  • 38 posts

I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned, there is literally no reason for CAG to not port this game into Unity. Sure, it would cost time and money, but it would be more than worth it. I'm no expert, but I would think Unity is more optimized than flash, so it should actually make the game less CPU intensive. As it is, this game seriously strains the limits of flash, and there's no future in sticking to flash. 

Unity is far more suitable for a game like this. I highly urge CAG to seriously consider this idea. This thread isn't the first time this idea was brought up, and it sure won't be the last. It is actually one of the best ways to increase the size of the miniscule playerbase, which I talk abut in my thread ...

Edited by My Chemical Zord, 26 March 2018 - 03:30 PM.

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 697 posts

At this rate I almost feel a new game is needed, but unity would definitely allow this game to expand in many ways that could bring a lot of people back. It's a good idea that probably won't happen sadly. 

AZ Leader

AZ Leader
  • 190 posts

I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned, there is literally no reason for CAG to not port this game into Unity. Sure, it would cost time and money, but it would be more than worth it. I'm no expert, but I would think Unity is more optimized than flash, so it should actually make the game look les CPU intensive. As it is, this game seriously strains the limits of flash, and there's no future in sticking to flash. 

Unity is far more suitable for a game like this. I highly urge CAG to seriously consider this idea. This thread isn't the first time this idea was brought up, and it sure won't be the last. It is actually one of the best ways to increase the size of the miniscule playerbase, which I talk abut in my thread ...

At this rate I almost feel a new game is needed, but unity would definitely allow this game to expand in many ways that could bring a lot of people back. It's a good idea that probably won't happen sadly. 

Agree completely with both of you, they definitely should port over to Unity. However I just don't think it will happen due to time, money, and the income they would lose in the short run due to no new updates. However if there ever is a Dead Zone 2, I will surely be the first one to open it and create my account ;)