Photo

What's Up?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

Hey all, 

Some explanation for you all as to why I disappeared from the forums for 2 months. It's nothing sinister, or bad. In fact it's been a huge help. The reason for the non-contact was two fold:

Firstly, I needed a break from the internet. Not just from you guys, but from everything. Up until August, I would spend a lot of time on Twitter, Facebook, checking my email. It was just something I did constantly, from the minute I woke up. I needed to stop for my own sanity. So I slowed things down and stopped checking in on things constantly. Emails I checked every 1 to 2 days, I stopped reading Facebook and Twitter for the most part. It turns out, things are ok when you do that, the world doesn't collapse on your head. Figuring that out has helped immensely, after exhibiting this kind of behaviour for nearly 20 years it's been like shedding a weight and I am slowly re-intergrating social media back in.

Secondly, back in March, we committed to showing our new game at PAX Australia. This was in part a motivational thing for us to work on it and figure it out and most importantly to get some people hands on with it. So while I was taking a break from the internet - I spent all of the time in the past few months (besides a chunk of September and October for DZ Halloween) working on this new thing.

What is the new thing? It's more Last Stand. It'll be premium. It's different.

Once this PAX demo is done and dusted, I'll be sure to share some footage with you guys and talk more about it then. After that, it's back to rolling out the rest of the roadmap for Dead Zone! I'm excited, re-energised and actually looking forward to working on Dead Zone, which has been in development for 7 years now. That sort of energy isn't an easy thing to come by!

So, sorry if you guys felt abandoned while I was gone (because I kinda did ditch you all) but I needed to do this for me. Now that I'm back, I'll make sure to give you all a heads up if I take off again.

Cheers, Con 

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,641 posts

Props that you had faith in us not descending into anarchy while you were gone. Though one of us really thought you were taking a break. Glad to see you'll be back on all cylinders with new stuff.

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

Props that you had faith in us not descending into anarchy while you were gone. Though one of us really thought you were taking a break. Glad to see you'll be back on all cylinders with new stuff.

Cheers, I'd be lying to say I didn't have fears that the forums would be on fire when I came back :D

I should make it clear, I was woooorking during this "break". It was really just a break from social media and the constant pervasive emails. 

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,641 posts

:V
I know I was one guy who sent you an email wondering where you were.

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

:V
I know I was one guy who sent you an email wondering where you were.

Hah, trust me, it wasn't you. It's the emails from vendors and people offering services, creative boards etc etc. That and I'd check it 10+ times a day, it just completely disrupted the way I work.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,641 posts

Hah, trust me, it wasn't you. It's the emails from vendors and people offering services, creative boards etc etc. That and I'd check it 10+ times a day, it just completely disrupted the way I work.

Here's to having you back again.

Ghost Recon

Ghost Recon
  • 589 posts

its good to see you con after months of silence from the dev team posts on the forums. But Im glad to see you back.

BTW about that loading screen on Kongregate since it looks bland with darkness.

Cempa

Cempa
  • 25 posts
Happy to see you Con!

Glad that my favourite game wont die after all!

Much Love ^_^

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 177 posts

Hi Con,

thnx for putting us in the loop,

I can really relate to your decision to withdraw and perform an internet detox, I think a lot of people are re assessing their relationships with the internet and the digital communication revolution,

I read a piece by a writer who said she was suffering from a writers block, she realised how much time she spent on social media, checking it in every spare moment and never having a waking moment of doing literally nothing and thinking,

Mary Shelly was once asked how she came up with the idea for Frankenstein, she said that she had always spent a lot of time 'building castles in the air' and one of these creations had evolved, over time, into the story she eventually wrote,

the writer did a digital detox, took some time to just sit on a hill and watch the sun set, in due course her creativity returned.

I ran a small business for some years, at times I was getting more telephone calls from people trying to sell me services than I was getting calls from actual or potential paying clients,

I found myself doing the majority of my productive work after 6pm and on Sundays when the telephone stopped ringing and I could concentrate undisturbed!

unfortunately this left no time for family, friends or even me.

navigating our modern world isn't easy but you sound like you're taking pro active measures to control the space around you and give yourself room to function productively,

it's the smart thing to do and by sharing your explanation you may inspire others to make similar changes in their lives,

now stop reading my bullshit and go finish your new kickass game!

peace, love & zombies,

Matt

Ghost Recon

Ghost Recon
  • 589 posts

About the rest of the 2018 roadmap.

Are we going to get those updates as promised or are those update never gonna happen?

Edited by Ghost Recon, 17 October 2018 - 11:32 PM.

Reddy5

Reddy5
  • 110 posts

More Last Stand! Excited. Will it be on Steam?

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

About the rest of the 2018 roadmap.

Are we going to get those updates as promised or are those update never gonna happen?

"After that, it's back to rolling out the rest of the roadmap for Dead Zone!"

This'll start some time in November. Good chance a couple of them will be bundled up.

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

More Last Stand! Excited. Will it be on Steam?

Yep. Also looking at consoles possibly as well.

Hi Con,

thnx for putting us in the loop,

I can really relate to your decision to withdraw and perform an internet detox, I think a lot of people are re assessing their relationships with the internet and the digital communication revolution,

I read a piece by a writer who said she was suffering from a writers block, she realised how much time she spent on social media, checking it in every spare moment and never having a waking moment of doing literally nothing and thinking,

Mary Shelly was once asked how she came up with the idea for Frankenstein, she said that she had always spent a lot of time 'building castles in the air' and one of these creations had evolved, over time, into the story she eventually wrote,

the writer did a digital detox, took some time to just sit on a hill and watch the sun set, in due course her creativity returned.

I ran a small business for some years, at times I was getting more telephone calls from people trying to sell me services than I was getting calls from actual or potential paying clients,

I found myself doing the majority of my productive work after 6pm and on Sundays when the telephone stopped ringing and I could concentrate undisturbed!

unfortunately this left no time for family, friends or even me.

navigating our modern world isn't easy but you sound like you're taking pro active measures to control the space around you and give yourself room to function productively,

it's the smart thing to do and by sharing your explanation you may inspire others to make similar changes in their lives,

now stop reading my bullshit and go finish your new kickass game!

peace, love & zombies,

Matt

Matt, as always, you're a solid dude. Thankyou, means a lot.

IndigoEarth

IndigoEarth
  • 34 posts

Casting aside all techno-babble for a swath of time is liberating. I never touched the interwebs for the 5 weeks I traveled to Australia in early 2017 - other than internet cafe/communal comps to book my Hostels. Hardly a bother anyhow since I use a 15yr old flip-phone. Feels good doesn't it!

CON its a relief to us all seeing you back again in good health, and better spirits :)

There is a sobering truth still irking everyone. Nobody strives to be the first to bring is up, lest they dampen the joy of your re-appearance. Although the tiny code change was an accident, our ability to enjoy game-play was severely stunted, as looting UNIQUES was near non-existent. I'm not sure you comprehend just how dire it got around here. A handful of regulars disappeared, and the rest of us were monitoring all chat channels to keep spirits up with encouragement, on top of mentoring new players who couldn't understand why their Loot quality failed to improve upon buying a DMU and/or boosting extra. Recruiting higher capacities was challenging. #AP's alliance token expenses of 3,600 to each of the x2 GOLD Boosts, +7,200 total, went straight down the toilet.

57 days we endured the uncertainty, supporting each other & making new alt accounts as backups in case you were gone for good.
Below is my accurate estimate for likely UNIQUE Loot comparison:
- There were 4 rounds when +10% ITEM BOOST was available.
- There were 2 rounds when +25% GOLD BOOST was available.

Using CONSERVATIVE guesses. 28 days without any ITEM boosts, 12-16 days with +10% ITEM BOOST, 8 days with +25% GOLD BOOST.

A casual player logs in for 5-10 manuals, and sends out 10 auto's before log-out. With ZERO boosts active, they'll still loot 1-2 UNI's daily. With +10% ITEM boost, they'll usually get at least 2-3 UNI's daily. With +25% GOLD ITEM Boost, 3-4 UNI's daily is a common occurrence.

CONSERVATIVE Estimate:
28 days (no boosts), average daily UNI's= 1
16 days (+10% ITEM boost active for 4 days each round), average daily UNI's= 2
12 days (+25% GOLD ITEM Boost active for all 6 days each round), average daily UNI's=3

28x1= 28
16x2= 32
12x3= 36
TOTAL= 96 UNIQUES MINIMUM (in a 57 day span, I find more than x105 - x125 UNIQUES)

Granted... most are recycle food anyhow.
I fervently believe we all deserve a reasonably understandable compensation for toughing out that horrible drought.
We had a member run +550 MANUAL missions in just under 1 month. They found approx. 13 UNI's. That is royally discouraging. During that span, I myself looted a delightful 7.

I would like you to gift everyone above LVL 35 with x60 - x75 UNIQUE RAID HAULS. It's not the x85 - x105 we all SHOULD justifiably be asking for. This will partially rectify things with us. Yes, some people will get fuel, research notes, and a couple keys they otherwise wouldn't have - but WE DESERVE IT, and there are also tons of Medical craps, Active Gear, Clothing, and low-grade Tokens we don't need. The new supplementation of more goodies on the market will regenerate increased trade talks and boost player morale. More material brings more excitement, which impels more folks to support further with real money.

My intention is not to convey grumpy ultimatums. But we deserve this more than ever before. Since many players have limited inventory space, you could easily distribute the UNI Hauls weekly x20 or x25 per week for 3 weeks. It must be Island RAID hauls to guarantee reimbursement of UNIQUES; no Bounty or Monthly Reward boxes please... not even Terror Dome Gold boxes. If this doesn't take place, I am going to throw in the towel on this game after 3.5 years, as it would be a huge middle finger to those who endured such a dismal time-span. We understand this was a mistake and can forgive if we are shown some due respect for our patience.

I know its just a game - but it's also a close knit community where we love interacting with each other. The most potent motivational goal of the game disappeared for almost 2 months, and we deserve recognition for toughing it out and taking the high road.

In my case, I really would have found +110 UNI's minimum during that span, rather than 7.
The real solution here, is to create a couple new Prefix + Suffix definitions for both Weapons and Gear. I will post (Really COOL!) ideas to the idea thread.

Thanks for being a good sport.
-Aura

Edited by IndigoEarth, 18 October 2018 - 09:58 AM.

I_WANT_LESS_GEAR

I_WANT_LESS_GEAR
  • 301 posts

Hey all, 

What is the new thing? It's more Last Stand. It'll be premium. It's different.

Yep. Also looking at consoles possibly as well.

Con nice prospects dude ! Im really looking forward to this day something deadzone for console, kinda curious what spectrum are we talking only PS 4 and X1 or will you make a change for the smaller consoles too like Vita and Switch i would really like to see something you made on a vita tbh or make it atleast remotely playable on a vita that would be really cool.

Thou i have a burning question, mobile ? I know youre against it and porting something in flash to mobile format isnt easy, but look at games like Oldschool Runescape getting a mobile release 30th of october i know something must be possible here.

Oh well glad youre back

Cheers matey hope to see you sometimes on discord too !

MW3ProPiper

MW3ProPiper
  • 817 posts

Glad you're back and kicking Con.

I was kicking around with Neil Yates's Dead Frontier and Dead Frontier 2, but it still pales in comparison to TLS.

As for the "premium" game, do you mean that it's going to be a paid game? With some AG/FB/Kong advertising, I think that would be really nice. 

Multiplayer with zombie survivalism theme or something like The Last of Us story-driven singleplayer? Anything happening at the office?

NeroVirgil

NeroVirgil
  • 33 posts

Glad you're back and kicking Con.

I was kicking around with Neil Yates's Dead Frontier and Dead Frontier 2, but it still pales in comparison to TLS.

As for the "premium" game, do you mean that it's going to be a paid game? With some AG/FB/Kong advertising, I think that would be really nice. 

Multiplayer with zombie survivalism theme or something like The Last of Us story-driven singleplayer? Anything happening at the office?

ProPiper ! was looking for you! are you coming back? Hit me up a kong msg please? thanks

lolzarz

lolzarz
  • 408 posts

The names for last year's 4th of July weapons (The Eagle pistol and The Declaration AR) do not display properly and are instead "?". Can you look into this?

nickcarrera

nickcarrera
  • 30 posts

Good to see you back ... curious if the game will come back too. A lot of players left, no people in chat, bad loot, etc. ... I miss the fun.