Photo

Supply Boxes: Why They're Now Probalamatic For Your Game Con

loot boxes supply boxes supply boxes Australia Belgum Gambling Laws gambling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,641 posts

Hey Con, it has come to my attention on my discord server (the one you are in too) and other gaming media news outlets that an Australian research committee (the country where you and your company reside) has finished a study where they conclude that "Lootboxes" are a dangerous form of gambling that is very addictive for all age groups.

To go into detail on the committee's findings: 7000 Australian gamers have been observed on their use of loot boxes in video games. Now there are a growing number of games that use loot boxes, including: Every Call of Duty since Advanced Warfare, every Battlefield game since BF4, Star wars Battle Front 2 (the most egregious offender), Team Fortress 2 (which is what you based your loot boxes off of), and Overwatch. Your game includes loot boxes that are purchasable with real world money. Though one kind can be bought with in game currency if you grind hard enough for it but you can still buy it with real money. The study shows that occasional loot box buyers and heavy loot box buyers have traits that people who gamble have, the latter being heavy gamblers who have a serious problem.

All of that mumbo jumbo aside which can be found here: https://www.usaonlin...-are-dangerous/

You Con my friend are in quite the spot and a lot of us as players are worried. For the past few years you have had loot boxes not only as lootable items that even have their own random chance of being found but also as holiday events which are much more common than the regular variants. The content of these boxes is not what is the problem (the loot is mediocre compared to other lootable weapons, I.E Rares and Uniques) but what is the problem is that Australia could in fact go the way of Belgium (the country that Germany always steamrolls) and ban loot boxes which will have dire consequences on you, which is bad for business to both you and your player base. And just to reiterate we LOVE you Con, you've pretty much given Facebook a large amount of users just by having people sign up to play and gotten a lot of wonderful people together!

The concern is this, we might not have a deadzone to come to if your game has these legal hand grenades about to go of if Australia passes legislation banning them, thus the game goes BYE BYE. Maybe changing how we get event items would be a good idea, but the way it seems, you might just have to abandon loot boxes to keep your game up, though you could find another way to make up for the revenue, which shouldn't be too hard for a game that has been going 6 years strong.

We wish you luck Con and are only informing you of a looming threat to the game we love.

Edited by MaxSheen, 31 October 2018 - 01:23 AM.

bossfighter7

bossfighter7
  • 135 posts

Wait...If he was to "sell" the game to another person outside of Austrailia doesn't it mean he can still use lootboxes?

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,641 posts

Wait...If he was to "sell" the game to another person outside of Austrailia doesn't it mean he can still use lootboxes?

No.The companies for the games like Overwatch TF2, CSGO, and FIFA 18/19 have all been told to get rid of them by Belgium. The companies for those games are outside Belgium, so no it would not mean Con is safe form legal problems.

Ghost Recon

Ghost Recon
  • 584 posts

Since Belgium banned loot boxes  this could be the end of supply boxes/ loot boxes this game would have legal issues once Australia bans loot boxes. This will be a difficult thing to do with Premium supply boxes  and event boxes since they are  considered gambling. I don't want to see the dead zone end up going into legal issues with governments due to gambling concerns.  Ever since the the State of Hawaii talking about loot boxes this brought debates around the worlds and have started with regulations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box

Con

Con
  • 4,273 posts

That's a nice article written by a jeweler. Read the bio at the bottom :D

While it's true that Australia did a study, they are looking at solutions that involve rating the games that have that content higher. Which in the case of online content, doesn't matter as free games are release without ratings. 

As for Belgium, they're going after the big boys. If we hear anything from them, we'd talk to our service providers about region locking boxes. 

I'm in the industry, I'm aware, I've also worked with governments in the past. Generally, large scale change like this is intended for large corporations. For example, GDPR rules that came into place in Europe and the protection of data doesn't apply to companies with less than 1000 employees. So if there's a shift in laws across the board, it might not even be applicable. 

Plenty of options. You could help get the ball rolling by buying something Max :)

bossfighter7

bossfighter7
  • 135 posts

That's a nice article written by a jeweler. Read the bio at the bottom :D

While it's true that Australia did a study, they are looking at solutions that involve rating the games that have that content higher. Which in the case of online content, doesn't matter as free games are release without ratings. 

As for Belgium, they're going after the big boys. If we hear anything from them, we'd talk to our service providers about region locking boxes. 

I'm in the industry, I'm aware, I've also worked with governments in the past. Generally, large scale change like this is intended for large corporations. For example, GDPR rules that came into place in Europe and the protection of data doesn't apply to companies with less than 1000 employees. So if there's a shift in laws across the board, it might not even be applicable. 

Plenty of options. You could help get the ball rolling by buying something Max :)

Con with all due respect they dont care if your a triple A game or a small indie dev team like you. They will still remove the gambling aspect of your game. 

A example of this would be regardless if you stole a gold bar or a little chocolate bar your still going to jail. in this scenario the gold bar is the triple A game and your the little chocolate bar. 

You also sound like a fucking dick which everyone could agree with me upon. Max is just looking out for you and your game don't be a fucking dick to him, he's really a chill guy and likes the game. (I doubt anymore though)

Bossy

Edited by bossfighter7, Yesterday, 03:10 AM.

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 708 posts

Con with all due respect they dont care if your a triple A game or a small indie dev team like you. They will still remove the gambling aspect of your game. 

A example of this would be regardless if you stole a gold bar or a little chocolate bar your still going to jail. in this scenario the gold bar is the triple A game and your the little chocolate bar. 

You also sound like a fucking dick which everyone could agree with me upon. Max is just looking out for you and your game don't be a fucking dick to him, he's really a chill guy and likes the game. (I doubt anymore though)

Bossy

No I disagree quite a bit. I think Con knows what he's talking about. Perhaps it's you who shouldn't be a "fucking dick".

bossfighter7

bossfighter7
  • 135 posts

No I disagree quite a bit. I think Con knows what he's talking about. Perhaps it's you who shouldn't be a "fucking dick".

Want a flame war?

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 708 posts

Want a flame war?

I had a differing opinion so you want a flame war?

Do you want to get banned from the forums or something?

bossfighter7

bossfighter7
  • 135 posts

I had a differing opinion so you want a flame war?

Do you want to get banned from the forums or something?

No

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loot boxes, supply, boxes, supply boxes, Australia, Belgum, Gambling Laws, gambling