Photo

Any Plans To Port This To Unity Or Html5

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

The closewr we get to the end of flash, I have to wonder, what does the future hold?  It's no secret that this game runs like hell for nearly everybody except a handful of people.  Having to juggle between 2 to 3 web browsers just to play the game is no fix.

Games like Dead Frontier and BattleStarGalaticaOnline converted from flash to unity with stand alone launchers and html5 complaint webpages to ensure continued gameplay.

Chrome just sucks now, for this game.  It refuses to use hardware accel, regardless what you do. 

And Firefox has issues with becoming laggy in OA and level 40+ targets.

Edge just craps out while in any location after 10 minutes.  

This issue has been ongoing for 2 + years now, but getting worse and worse as time goes on.

So what is the plan to keep TLS DZ alive past 2020?  Or is it going the way of the dinosaurs and letting it die out?  Because leaving it on flash is killing the game.  Most of my friends stopped playing completely due to performance issues and I quit spending money due to the issues.  It's no longer enjoyable.

Hope you consider something, because many of us still want to enjoy this game, but it needs a serious kick in the compatibility backside

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 229 posts

Hiya,

Flash will no longer be supported with security updates after the end of 2020,

Flash will not cease to exist, it will just no longer be updated,

yes, the browser situation has been a complete pain in the ass, my solution has been to use Chromium just for playing the game,

http://forum.conarti...r-build-64-bit/

this developer version has no updater so it remains unchanged, I've been using it since December with no problems.

I suspect it's impractical to translate this game 'as is' to another platform other than Flash, it would require complete, bottom up, reconstruction, but this game will always be available to play so long as the server is still up and running and you have a browser that will handle Flash properly,

I intend to keep playing this game with the Chromium browser until the server is unplugged or the internet changes so radically that the Chromium no longer is able to connect.

for now there is no cause for undue alarm,

I'm more concerned about climate change, the energy crisis, nuclear war or the collapse of western civilisation, 

until then let's at least enjoy the distraction of TLS:DZ

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

Hiya,

Flash will no longer be supported with security updates after the end of 2020,

Flash will not cease to exist, it will just no longer be updated,

yes, the browser situation has been a complete pain in the ass, my solution has been to use Chromium just for playing the game,

http://forum.conarti...r-build-64-bit/

this developer version has no updater so it remains unchanged, I've been using it since December with no problems.

I suspect it's impractical to translate this game 'as is' to another platform other than Flash, it would require complete, bottom up, reconstruction, but this game will always be available to play so long as the server is still up and running and you have a browser that will handle Flash properly,

I intend to keep playing this game with the Chromium browser until the server is unplugged or the internet changes so radically that the Chromium no longer is able to connect.

for now there is no cause for undue alarm,

I'm more concerned about climate change, the energy crisis, nuclear war or the collapse of western civilisation, 

until then let's at least enjoy the distraction of TLS:DZ

Yeah, we have talked many times in the past, most of the solutions just dont work for me sadly.  Older versions of chrome is not possible as I do online shopping, and that would be a risk I dont wish to explore.  The other web browsers just dont perform well  Opera was utterly unplayable, and firefox has invisible zombies.  Edge just lags out after load.

My system specs are more than enough for a web game.

That is my setup

https://imgur.com/a/Y6tMkMI

All I can realistically do is wait for the next Dead Zone game to release.    I like this game, it just stopped running well about a year ago, and sometimes runs fine, but more often than not, doesnt.  And without any future hope of this game running better, I am sadly going to most likely just give up, which sucks because I love it so much I ended up buying premium for my old fb and my current fb.  Just cant run better than a 3 legged dog hit twice by a car :(

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts
also as always, Chromium is useless for me

https://imgur.com/a/CKoWcUE

The game has never worked in chromium before for me

Edited by GameOverMan, 02 June 2019 - 02:29 PM.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

Its a good thing I dont worry about Climate change. It wont change enough in my life time and what happens will happen.  Nations rise and Nations Fall.  I live in the USA, and I see it all around me, no point stressing what I cant change.  All I can do is take my vote If we go to world war 3, nothing I did or did not do will stop it.  All I can do is make sure my guns are loaded and my bunker is stocked with fresh can food, mres and water for 4 for the next 5 years.  

But meh, guess I will just reinstall Project Zomboid or  7 days to die.  This game just wont work anymore for me.  Its been fun, but its an utter shame the lack of developer concern.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

Update.  I just tried Edge again.  OMG.  For the first time in all of ever, Edge is out performing Chrome.

Chrome-runs like hell

Chromium-Utter aids.  Doesnt run

Firefox Lags and flash crash

Opera Laggy So laggy  Did I mention laggy?

Edge(warning, the world is ending) runs better than I ever recall running the game.

Will add a video once uploaded.  But I am now a fan of Edge.  I strongly urge anybody to use Edge(with its default built in flash-do NOT download from adobe

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=_2_le3FdUEE  Its still rendering, give it 10 minutes

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 229 posts

also as always, Chromium is useless for me

https://imgur.com/a/CKoWcUE

The game has never worked in chromium before for me

ok, so you installed the Chromium browser?

well this pic shows you've not installed the PPAPI version of Flashplayer or if you have you've not enabled it first time by clicking on the first bit of the address bar and selecting enable flash,

I liked the pic of your setup but i didn't tell me whether you're running a 64-bit version of windows such as Windows 10, that's prolly the most important thing for using the Chromium,

I appreciate your concerns about using Chromium and security whilst surfing, you can run Chromium and Chrome at the same time on the same pc, I only use the Chromium for Flash games such as TLS:DZ and in my case I use Firefox for all the day to day stuff, 

the whole idea of the Chromium is that it's the last version of Chrome that worked properly with the game but without the Google extras and no updater, it's a bit like a private version of FB Gameroom for us lot.

have a full read through the notes in that first post about Chromium, I added a bunch of tips at the bottom about getting Flash to kick in the first time.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

ok, so you installed the Chromium browser?

well this pic shows you've not installed the PPAPI version of Flashplayer or if you have you've not enabled it first time by clicking on the first bit of the address bar and selecting enable flash,

I liked the pic of your setup but i didn't tell me whether you're running a 64-bit version of windows such as Windows 10, that's prolly the most important thing for using the Chromium,

I appreciate your concerns about using Chromium and security whilst surfing, you can run Chromium and Chrome at the same time on the same pc, I only use the Chromium for Flash games such as TLS:DZ and in my case I use Firefox for all the day to day stuff, 

the whole idea of the Chromium is that it's the last version of Chrome that worked properly with the game but without the Google extras and no updater, it's a bit like a private version of FB Gameroom for us lot.

have a full read through the notes in that first post about Chromium, I added a bunch of tips at the bottom about getting Flash to kick in the first time.

flash refused to enable on chromium.  I uninstalled it, as its a heap of wasted space

Full specs 

Acer Predator Z35P Gsync 3440x1440 120Hz Ultra Wide Gaming Monitor.
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors.
Case Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I.
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA‑Z170X‑UD5.
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor.
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666h
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Liquid CPU Cooler.
250GB Samsung SSD Boot drive.
2TB SSHD Firecuda Seagate
1TB Sata Drive.
500GB x2 Sata Drive.
Corsair 750watt semi modular psu.
BlueRay Player/DVD burner.

Windows 10 64bit.

Game is working(for now) on Edge.  Will it work next update is unknown.   You and I have gone through this several times in the past if you check my post history.  For 2 years now, this game has been aids for me.  It works randomly when it wants.  Games are intended to be fun.  When you need to install 6 and 7 different browsers, its no longer fun, but  a frustration.  And googling answers returns more people with the same issue than it does a solution.

But I can enjoy it for now on Edge.  last time I tried edge it would only crash.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

Back to square 1.   Edge is just as crappy as everything else.

https://imgur.com/a/wD2mqdF

That is what I get on any target over level 31 or after 20 minutes in game

Chrome says unsupported and runs slow

Firefox is a lagfest

Opera lags even harder

Chromium auto blocks flash from even being enabled.

It has been fun, but I am done stressing over a game that is clearly not going to be around after 2020.  The game is clearly no longer supported.  If you need to download outdated browsers and 3 4 or 5 of them to play a basic web game, clearly its not supported.  Thanks for the attempts to resolve Matt, but I am at my limit with ConArtist  Maybe if they ever release a game to steam, Ill come back, but until then, I am done supporting them.

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 229 posts

hiya,

that's a lot of fancy stuff you have there,

but I still manage to play ok on a factory refurbished acer aspire laptop plugged into my tv with an hdmi lead,

I found Edge pretty good but chat didn't work properly, it was incredibly laggy,

IE11 was ok but the zoom wouldn't work on the mouse wheel and every time the cursor passed over a structure that could be interacted with the whole game would hesitate for a second or so,

since Google Chrome went to software rendering at the version 66 update all the other Chromium forks have followed suit as they update, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex, etc.

Firefox went squiffy with the version 64 update on Windows 10 because of the way Windows 10 handles cookies,

there is a fork of Mozilla being developed by a guy in Manchester called Waterfox, apparently it's quite good but I've not tried it because that developer version of Chromium has been doing the trick for me,

the main point being, it's not a hardware issue once you get above a pretty low threshold, it's how browsers have changed in respect to Flash, it's a software issue,

and it's not the game, though sometimes the server can be a dick, the game is what it's always been, 

much of the changes to browsers and websites are driven by several factors, the move away from laptops and desktops towards using mobile phones to access the internet,

Google's dominance over browser market share and therefore their dictating a lot of internet protocols, 

Big Data, the whole internet is being bent toward the needs of those that harvest, trade in and profit from the acquisition of users behavioural data,

even Windows is now 'a service' whereas it was once a product, there's a lot in Windows 10 you just can't get rid of or opt out of, 

all the above is being led by massive players in the IT world, it makes it very challenging for the small companies, it could easily be perceived as a strategy to elbow out the small guys and monopolise control of the internet in the hands of a few very large players, 

I'm all for supporting the little guy and trying to level an uneven playing field but there's a limit to what I can actually achieve,

I've tried offering reasoned analysis that lead to practical workarounds,

it's worked for some people, I'm sorry it's not worked for you.

worth a try:

https://www.waterfox.net/

Edited by Matt Baker UK, 03 June 2019 - 08:30 AM.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

hiya,

but I still manage to play ok on a factory refurbished acer aspire laptop plugged into my tv with an hdmi lead,

I found Edge pretty good but chat didn't work properly, it was incredibly laggy,

IE11 was ok but the zoom wouldn't work on the mouse wheel and every time the cursor passed over a structure that could be interacted with the whole game would hesitate for a second or so,

since Google Chrome went to software rendering at the version 66 update all the other Chromium forks have followed suit as they update, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex, etc.

Firefox went squiffy with the version 64 update on Windows 10 because of the way Windows 10 handles cookies,

there is a fork of Mozilla being developed by a guy in Manchester called Waterfox, apparently it's quite good but I've not tried it because that developer version of Chromium has been doing the trick for me,

the main point being, it's not a hardware issue once you get above a pretty low threshold, it's how browsers have changed in respect to Flash, it's a software issue,

and it's not the game, though sometimes the server can be a dick, the game is what it's always been, 

much of the changes to browsers and websites are driven by several factors, the move away from laptops and desktops towards using mobile phones to access the internet,

Google's dominance over browser market share and therefore their dictating a lot of internet protocols, 

Big Data, the whole internet is being bent toward the needs of those that harvest, trade in and profit from the acquisition of users behavioural data,

even Windows is now 'a service' whereas it was once a product, there's a lot in Windows 10 you just can't get rid of or opt out of, 

all the above is being led by massive players in the IT world, it makes it very challenging for the small companies, it could easily be perceived as a strategy to elbow out the small guys and monopolise control of the internet in the hands of a few very large players, 

I'm all for supporting the little guy and trying to level an uneven playing field but there's a limit to what I can actually achieve,

worth a try:

But of all the games I own, web based or steam, THIS is the only game that has an issue.

That waterfox, is that what you use?  And thanks

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

hiya,

worth a try:

I am sure the file you linked is clean, but virus total had a stroke.  Not willing to risk it for the biscuit.  Thx though

https://www.virustot...d4e03/detection

Lana Woo

Lana Woo
  • 725 posts

I use Firefox ESR directly from Mozilla to play the game. It works fine in my case (Windows 10), and I don't have many of the problems other players seem to have (lag, unsupported video card, connection issues, etc), but it does have some downsides:

1) It replaces your version of Firefox (if you have one installed)

2) It has some glitches, such as the inability to save bookmarks. It doesn't make it unusable, though, but it will robably won't be your main browser.

3) May need some fiddling with the about:config page to make Flash run

4) It will only work until next year, when Mozilla retires all support for Flash Player.

Might be worth trying if other browsers are not performing well.

tehswordninja

tehswordninja
  • 713 posts

You guys are putting in a lot of effort to continue playing a dead game.

I've stopped playing months ago and Con still hasn't responded to the community. I think that's a good enough indication it's time to pack up and leave. Maybe if the core population leaves Con will get his act together. Who knows. 

A unity port would be great but I doubt it will happen.

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 229 posts

I've stopped playing months ago and Con still hasn't responded to the community. I think that's a good enough indication it's time to pack up and leave. Maybe if the core population leaves Con will get his act together. Who knows. 

oh it's not a lot of effort really,

since switching to the Chromium in December I've not had to do anything apart from play.

GameOverMan

GameOverMan
  • 19 posts

Yeah, As much as I hate to admit it, you are 100% right, it will also be a reminder to avoid his new game coming out(allegedly)  The lack of care he is showing the community who has help support this game financially is uncool.  Also with the tag beta on the game since launch, we can assume the game never got finished.

Anyway, I wont keep posting, pretty clear the devs gave up on this game and have no desire to fix it.(actions speak louder than words, and actions confirm my statement)