Photo

Supernova Swf Enabler, Extension For Current Version Of Chrome.

Flashplayer End of Life Extension Chrome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 262 posts

Hiya,

I was nosing around on Kong and found they're recommending this extension to keep Chrome able to play Flash Games,

https://chrome.googl...pibehejoaleebpo

https://www.getsupernova.com/

have a look, if you like it please give feedback, it seems potentially very useful, they're even saying a Firefox extension will be available 'soon'  !

Aubrey Dickson Retired

Aubrey Dickson Retired
  • 729 posts

Yeah i have used it and it works pretty decently but the game still runs in software mode and i'm not sure if it will work when flash is completely removed from chrome since from what i've noticed it basically just enables the flash still installed 

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 262 posts

Aubrey, 

even if a Chrome update removed the Flash built into Chrome you could still download and install the PPAPI "Pepperpot" version of the Shockwave Flash player from Adobe,

if this SuperNova thing works ok at enabling Flash in Chrome and these guys are serious about keeping Flash games alive then it's prolly worth emailing them or using their feedback/bug report feature and pointing out Chrome has started forcing Flash to render in Software mode,

if they can code an extension to enable Flash I daresay they could also include a feature where you can chose to enable hardware acceleration in Flash,

it is an existing Flash feature, Chrome has done something to disable part of Flash's original functionality,

in TLS:DZ when you open the in game settings and click on the Flash tab you get an Adobe applet appear which has a tick box for 'enable hardware acceleration'

somehow Chrome sabotaged that with the release of ver.66

I asked for feedback because I can't be arsed to install the latest Chrome just to see if this extension works, my developer version of Chromium doesn't need an SWF Enabler,

if you think it does what it says on the tin I'll see if I can contact the dev's there.

one simple but effective extension could save the entire Flash gaming scene!

Aubrey Dickson Retired

Aubrey Dickson Retired
  • 729 posts

Aubrey, 

even if a Chrome update removed the Flash built into Chrome you could still download and install the PPAPI "Pepperpot" version of the Shockwave Flash player from Adobe,

if this SuperNova thing works ok at enabling Flash in Chrome and these guys are serious about keeping Flash games alive then it's prolly worth emailing them or using their feedback/bug report feature and pointing out Chrome has started forcing Flash to render in Software mode,

if they can code an extension to enable Flash I daresay they could also include a feature where you can chose to enable hardware acceleration in Flash,

it is an existing Flash feature, Chrome has done something to disable part of Flash's original functionality,

in TLS:DZ when you open the in game settings and click on the Flash tab you get an Adobe applet appear which has a tick box for 'enable hardware acceleration'

somehow Chrome sabotaged that with the release of ver.66

I asked for feedback because I can't be arsed to install the latest Chrome just to see if this extension works, my developer version of Chromium doesn't need an SWF Enabler,

if you think it does what it says on the tin I'll see if I can contact the dev's there.

one simple but effective extension could save the entire Flash gaming scene!

Matt i'm on a Chromebook so i can't download shit

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 262 posts

Aubrey,

you should still be able to use Chrome Flags,

https://www.lifewire...-chrome-4125122

I might install Chrome again, I'm sure there must be some way of forcing it to render in hardware acceleration.

I did try before but maybe I missed something?

postscript: I've downloaded and installed Chrome 78, the SuperNova thing works fine,

the weird thing is if you go to:   chrome://gpu/   

it says Flash is Hardware Accelerated  but it obviously isn't because of the lag, cpu loading, the rendering mode message in the in game settings and the unsupported video card warning at the top of the screen,

none of this is a problem with Chromium version 65.

Edited by Matt Baker UK, 06 December 2019 - 01:33 AM.

Aubrey Dickson Retired

Aubrey Dickson Retired
  • 729 posts

Yeah most of those flags i don't have access to on my Chromebook

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 262 posts

the only email I could find for the SuperNova people was contact details for their privacy policy,

I sent them an email mentioning the hardware acceleration being forced to software rendering problem,

let's see if I get any response!

postscript: I got a response asking for further info which I've supplied!

Edited by Matt Baker UK, 06 December 2019 - 01:27 AM.

Matt Baker UK

Matt Baker UK
  • 262 posts

Hiya,

I got a reply from the SuperNova people and this is what they said:

"Ok, I see, this is a problem with Stage3d.  Doesn't sound like something Supernova extension can fix in Chrome, as I don't think we are in a position to fix anything in the chrome browser code itself.

The only real option that could work here is to run it in the Supernova Player, launched from chrome. When time permits I will look into testing that "

well it sounds hopeful, if these guys can get TLS:DZ to run in their SuperNova Player we could have a workaround for the foreseeable future.

Aubrey Dickson Retired

Aubrey Dickson Retired
  • 729 posts

Hiya,

I got a reply from the SuperNova people and this is what they said:

"Ok, I see, this is a problem with Stage3d.  Doesn't sound like something Supernova extension can fix in Chrome, as I don't think we are in a position to fix anything in the chrome browser code itself.

The only real option that could work here is to run it in the Supernova Player, launched from chrome. When time permits I will look into testing that "

well it sounds hopeful, if these guys can get TLS:DZ to run in their SuperNova Player we could have a workaround for the foreseeable future.

Well I still would no longer be able to play the game past December 2020 but atleast the game won't die if this is possible

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flashplayer, End of Life, Extension, Chrome