Photo

Challenge Book: Hardcore ... ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Lukas Astten

Lukas Astten
  • 15 posts

Hello.

Soon after I first started playing The Last Stand - Dead Zone, a player in chat showed a very special to say the least -- Challenge book

which I am pretty sure was called Hardcore.

If I recall correctly it had these statistics 

Infected Health +80%

Infected Damage +80%

Survivor melee damage -50%

Survivor projectile damage -50%

Infected can inflict Critical hits

and perhaps some other stats as well. (Survivor health reduction, effects of noise increase, rare infected increase)

With an XP increase at I think was +200% XP and permanent.

But what I remember as clear as day was the description: "Only for true survivors."

So it was basically all the challenge book titles such as: "They're not human", "That Smarts", "Shoot softly", "Wafflebat for beginners" etc. in one book.

So I was wondering if the developers would know anything about this book? Supposedly a 'Myth' on the chat channels. But I know what I saw and it was that book.

I tried checking the Dead Zone wiki page, nothing and Google'ing met with same results.

If anyone has information regarding this mystery please reply to this thread.

Edited by Lukas Astten, 11 June 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Glycolysis

Glycolysis
  • 117 posts

Ah, that book.  I personally don't have HC, but many of my friends have it.  If I remember correctly it is

+100% infected dmg

+100% infected hp

Infected can crit

Food/water consumption +100%

Noise +100%

+25% exp

Note: I don't have the book so I can't make sure and it seems that nobody in chat has it either... However, I have seen it many times and those I believe are the stats of it. 

As for the origin of the book, it is discontinued (supposedly) and was part of the 100$ deal for fuel some time ago.  Hardcores go for very good uniques and judging by your words, trading for one would probably be impossible.

-Gly

Edit: Someone showed the book in chat.  I missed the +25% infected attacks and also the +100% ammo cost.  Sandino got to type faster ;D

Edited by Glycolysis, 11 June 2013 - 01:16 AM.

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

Hardcore is a discontinued book that was available as a part of a 100$ fuel package a few months back. It's limited edition and one of the most expensive items in the game. It is indeed supposed to be the "ultimate challenge book"...although its actually a great book that lets you level up really fast due to the bonus xp, increased compound attacks and increased rare infected frequency. I know cuz I own one :D.

But yea, the only lootable things that you can trade for it is a GOOD unique FAL or m24, and now also SVD/M240...or maybe a REALLY good piece of unique gear.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Gly you beat me to it. I hate you.

Edited by Sandro_Jern, 11 June 2013 - 01:16 AM.

Glycolysis

Glycolysis
  • 117 posts

Btw, sands I don't recall there ever being a +rare infected for the book.  Also, I would find the book a liability.  One can easily get a 40% infected attacks + LWH to level up quickly :)   It is a funny book to have, but I suggest equipping all your survs with 600+ dps weps before using it in a horde. 

-Gly

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

Btw, sands I don't recall there ever being a +rare infected for the book.  Also, I would find the book a liability.  One can easily get a 40% infected attacks + LWH to level up quickly :)   It is a funny book to have, but I suggest equipping all your survs with 600+ dps weps before using it in a horde. 

-Gly

Whoops, I lied, indeed it doesn't increase rare infected...but still, its a decent book to use for XP grind...

But yea, for those of you curious, here:

83244599.png

Lukas Astten

Lukas Astten
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the replys guys and clearing the mystery... alas I doubt I'd ever acquire one then, I'm terrible at finding uniques. XD 

On the plus side I got a permanent "They Live again" that gives +25% XP too but only gives infected +51% Health and damage.

And a Baiting your home 40%.

Edited by Lukas Astten, 11 June 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Glycolysis

Glycolysis
  • 117 posts

Yeah, really most people use HC as a collector item and not as a method to level up.  If you want to level up well...

1. Get Deathmobile upgrade.  Run two teams of five and equip a permanent "Long Way Home (+100% exp for 100-150% return time)  You can also add another book of your choice, a temporary 400% exp book is nice and so is a permanent 49% martial law.

The logic behind doing this is that all your return times go from a base of 5 minutes to 10 minutes or so.  While your first team is gone, you can scavenge with your second team.  Always stay for the whole time, even after you looted all the boxes for EXP.

2. Without Deathmobile upgrade.  Learn game mechanics and level your team and get weapons until you can run 4 teams safely.  Ideally equip a 49% martial law perm + a 50% union city shortcuts perm.  Then do as many missions as you can.  Before you leave/go to bed, equip a long way home.  This will boost exp for the last few missions and since you will be away, the long return times won't hurt.

Last, really baiting isn't that good of a book to use, but if you want it isn't bad.  I usually substitute baiting for a white flag :)

-Gly

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

Or you can just raid :D...glyco, I know you will agree with this ;)

Nicol_Djaghilev

Nicol_Djaghilev
  • 569 posts

Whoops, I lied, indeed it doesn't increase rare infected...but still, its a decent book to use for XP grind...

But yea, for those of you curious, here:

-big ass picture_

Schade, you beat me to it :D

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

Schade, you beat me to it :D

Sorry...glyco started it ;)

The Architect

The Architect
  • 2,995 posts

Damn it... i want one!

chebs

chebs
  • 23 posts

Its less about the 25% xp, or any of the other stats, it is good to level up with becaues the +25% infected attacks stacks with 40% baiting your home.  Remove both books after clicking "give me more time" and equip a Anatomy and Martial law book and watch the XP roll in. 65% non timed, no slot lockout baiting is the true value of the book Hard Core.

MihailAndrei

MihailAndrei
  • 408 posts

They live again is better, it gives +55% exp. and has less negative bonuses. but I still want it.

Glycolysis

Glycolysis
  • 117 posts

Or you can just raid :D...glyco, I know you will agree with this ;)

Word Sandie word!

When I got to level 20 I didn't have the weps to deal with level 20 zombies... and my compound list was all red :)

If you don't like raiding as much as me, stick to that combo.

Also, pretty sure they live again has 25% bonus exp at the cost of massively buffed zeds.

I stick to martial law.

-Gly

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

It's not worth anything more than bragging rights imho.

Mostly because it doesn't give enough XP bonus to justify using it.   "They Live Again" gives the same XP bonus for the same increase in infected health and damage with no other downsides.

Now if it gave 100%....

Hezm

Hezm
  • 434 posts

Ha! It's nice to see that i'm not the only 1 who haven't got time to loot the city when all the raiding takes so much time

z2oxid

z2oxid
  • 26 posts

im looking for one of these suicide books :)) i can offer some nice stuff. PM or Reply here

Lucio 1995

Lucio 1995
  • 45 posts

Came here, after seeing the Hardcore book pop up on the Thanksgiving 100$ deal. I want to play this to have a harder experience, something truly survival like, starting from the beginning of the game. This reminded me of the Survival Mode for Fallout Shelter, which was freaking fixed for you to buy Lunchboxes. I want to play that, without HAVING to buy these boosts, and well, paying a 100$. Can you guys add a "second savefile" or something where we can play this mode?

bob sagad

bob sagad
  • 271 posts

I got it and yeah it truly is just for a true challenge, it can be interesting to force to actually look around during large maps instead of YOLO RUSH with 3 survivors. I have 2 copies if anyone is interested pm me in game 

I play on AG FB for those who don''t know sorry about the slight necro

Edited by bob sagad, 09 December 2015 - 02:02 AM.