Photo

Minimizing Crashing By Leaving Areas Open...

loading crashing flash crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tyrone

Tyrone
  • 135 posts

On numerous occasions, across all four browsers I've tried (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera), this game has crashed and it virtually always does so in missions.

While simply scouring the problem would be nice, I've done enough programming to know the problem is not likely an easy one to solve and could be solved my any of multiple points in the code. However, there is a way to minimize the negative effects caused - while the time spent can never be gained back, and saving every N units of time in a mission so people can keep their items would almost certainly not be worth the effort of coding, at least being able to go back into that area would be one saving grace. I know the game records injuries even if it boots you out of a mission, you lose all items and materials and it locks out the area.

If the marker identifying the area as locked out was only tripped when the game successfully loads out of a mission, then this would skirt around the vast majority of crashing during a mission. If we can go back in and try again, then it's annoying instead of something that makes people curse and swear never to spend a dime on the game.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

The game has been programmed this way to stop players from repeatedly farming the same area.

Example:

You run a mission to a high level park but with a minute left, you haven't got a good weapon so you refresh the game. You then run the mission again and repeat until you get the weapon(s) you want.

By having an area marked as visited when a player enters, it removes this loophole players could exploit.

Tyrone

Tyrone
  • 135 posts

If you bug out of a mission, you don't get anything. The way it's set up, cut off areas are more of a problem because of crashing than anything else. People talk in the chat, I am certain that I would hear crooning if somebody was (even wanting) to use an exploit like what you're mentioning. Instead I hear people swearing because the game crashed when they tried to go home. It's happened to me too, and I think this crashing problem is the greatest flaw in the game. My proposal reduces (but does not eliminate) the problem caused by crashing. Since no perfect solution exists, it's one proposed answer.

I leave it up to Con as to whether it will be something worth pursuing - though if the crashing isn't fixed, this would be a decent stopgap in the mean time.

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

If you bug out of a mission, you don't get anything. The way it's set up, cut off areas are more of a problem because of crashing than anything else. People talk in the chat, I am certain that I would hear crooning if somebody was (even wanting) to use an exploit like what you're mentioning. Instead I hear people swearing because the game crashed when they tried to go home. It's happened to me too, and I think this crashing problem is the greatest flaw in the game. My proposal reduces (but does not eliminate) the problem caused by crashing. Since no perfect solution exists, it's one proposed answer.

I leave it up to Con as to whether it will be something worth pursuing - though if the crashing isn't fixed, this would be a decent stopgap in the mean time.

Sometimes, you ought to let users complain about it because it's for a purpose. Crash or not, I would think it's best to minimize exploitation than the complains.

Agreed with Liquid.

Edited by PeterTehDumb, 20 June 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loading, crashing, flash, crash