Capping Uniques/rares Per Player

Uniques Rares Balacing game

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

JHPinto

JHPinto
  • 619 posts

This is intended to:

1) redemocratize the Dead Zone, since now we have those "rich" farmers that keep trading uniques and rares between themselves when most players don't even have one single unique (after 9 months playing, I've only found 3 crappy rares I think and zero uniques).

2) make the game more balanced, putting an end to full "uniqued" teams. 

3) make purples and blues more valuable again. Right now it's almost impossible to find someone willing to trade some good purples or blues. It's all about uniques/rares.

The idea is to implement a cap for uniques/rares per player. For instance, (stress on the "for instance") 6 uniques and 12 rares max, either weapons or gear, or half that much for each type of item. Whatever the cap it should never allow for a team to have all 10 survivors equipped with unique weapons.

After reaching the cap, each time a player finds another unique/rare a window would pop up making him choose between throwing it away or discarding one already in his inventory.

This way, farmers close to the cap would feel urged to quickly pass on the "not so good" uniques/rares they have to players that don't focus on farming and/or are not so lucky.  

So, Uniques for everybody!

Royalblood

Royalblood
  • 115 posts

Agree. My friend has the deathmobile upgrade and goes all over the map until the whole map is locked down and then spends the rest of his time bounty hunting and raiding. He gets atleast 4 uniques a week not including rares or purples. He once got 2 uniques at one location. There is no need to limit on each person but there should be a daily/weekly/etc limit because it seems that buying the deathmobile upgrade is the key to getting all the goodies.

Edited by Royalblood, 27 June 2013 - 05:43 PM.

User2351

User2351
  • 34 posts

So you essentially want to punish players that have either been luckier than you, have purchased more fuel, or played more than yourself, in an attempt to make the game more "fair"?

Considering you've previously stated in another thread that "My gaming now is almost only based on raiding", its really not all that surprising that you haven't found many unique items. But to force people who prefer to collect items (via trading or simply looting) to convert to your playstyle is just as self serving as jakelanden's Getting Rid Of The Ability To Raid Other Players .

edit:

Agree. My friend has the deathmobile upgrade and goes all over the map until the whole map is locked down and then spends the rest of his time bounty hunting and raiding. He gets atleast 4 uniques a week not including rares or purples. He once got 2 uniques at one location.

This only proves the DMU is broken.

Edited by User2351, 27 June 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Definitely not Xaro Jones

Definitely not Xaro Jones
  • 107 posts

The trouble is, this would make the Deathmobile Upgrade not worth the money. At the end of the day (speaking as a level 1 Deathmoblie User), the DMU is $30, and in turn brings lots of rewards with it. $30 is alot of money, and a SP of the Level 2 Deathmobile is the HUGE amounts of rares/uniques that can be scavenged. although I'm jealous of the high-levelled players with all the good weps, after all they deserve it. it's their donations that give Con a large portion of income, and keep Dead Zone running

To conclude, a cap on rares/uniques would cripple Dead Zone, it's a terrible idea

Xaro Jones,

X Syndicate Leader

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

Don't even need the DMU for this to be a bad idea.

Capping uniques would kill trading, which is the only true PvP in the game.

WalkerSniper

WalkerSniper
  • 422 posts

While I've yet to find a Unique or rare I disagree because what if the ones they have are low level and aren't really useful they'd suffer a penalty just for keeping something that (for them) is useless.

FlyingNinjaBoar

FlyingNinjaBoar
  • 395 posts

i have now 1 fully unique equiped pvp team, i found a part of it and i traded some. but there shouldn't be a cap for this. so u get my daily -1. i have still a DMU but i get around 1 uniq in 2 weeks while using a 4% shiny

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

Eh, I haven't found any uniques myself, but was it necessary do cap it? No.

Patience is everything.

Caineye

Caineye
  • 77 posts

Nine months and no uniques .. really? How often do you play? If this ridiculous idea was to happen though, it would get abused by trading your stuff to another account. I don't get it though .. jealously? or why post this? Chances are equal for everyone, tough luck, try again. Also, you speak as if the "farmers" were something that needs to be dealt with? They're mostly the people who spend money on this.

DJfriede

DJfriede
  • 888 posts

If I had one downvote left today, you would get it. Other than referring to some "fairness" defined by yourself I see no valid points to capping the amount of uniques. It isn't logical in any way: So you find a unique, but you're already above the magical limit? Scrap the unique although there might be plenty of room in your inventory. I see no way that this mechanism could be implemented into the game with any reason based on actual game play. It would always feel artificial and frustrating.

And let's say, we have the unique cap. Would that in any way help to fix trade? I say no. First, people would cling to their precious uniques even harder than now. Second, there is no good reason right now to trade green/blues/purples. You will come across most of these items eventually or just craft them. Additionally, they don't provide that much of a bonus that would be worth paying fuel for them. So in the end trade would be pretty much dead.

I am right there with you, that there are people in trade who are just rich. They might have the means to flood anyone with absurdly good offers for worthwhile items. In my experience you should just accept it. As you said: Raiding can be done without uniques or rares (although they might be helpful!). The problem lies in our own perception: Do I pity myself that others have better virtual bits and bytes? Or do I just keep on playing, have fun, find some good weapons that I like, trade within my possibilities and gain a higher standing step by step?

Grind Monkey

Grind Monkey
  • 302 posts

I don't have too much of a problem with this.

A 6/12 level is a LOT of items. There is always some crap you can ditch

Also if you are close to the limit you can always keep the best stuff so us high yield people [from DMU or in my case being a lifeless loser] can still get some advantage

Anyhow if you are leveling you should out level your gear long before it becomes an issue. More of a thing for level 50 people when the game is completed or people who have hit the max level areas.

Also having 6 *usable* unique and 12 rares is a lot. Double plus so considering most rares at least weapons are not much better than purples and blues. A cap will probably screw over collectors more than anyone else.

All that said I doubt if the change will really do much for game play so why bother. I don't think it is grinding via DMU that results in the issue but people who indirectly trade fuel for swag and there are few of those. Few enough do that so programming in the limits is kinda pointless. If Con really wants to FUBAR them bring in level 40 and what all those level 30 uniques look like a pile of feces. Also they seem to be the sorts who pay for the fuel so if they are willing to pile in the cash let them.

In my case I can usually hit all the weapon locations in the top two levels or close to it. Having a DMU, sure I can hit the homes and like but I can't see more than doubling my unique output if I had one. Unless I started slumming and a level 15 unique, to quote the immortal bard. I don't got time fo dat.

I usually end up trading my unique stuff away.

For some combination of reasons.

Either I already achievement whored the weapon achievement [25K kills]

My fighters did better with improvised bulldogs than the uniques [bulldogs plus fighter > level 26 scar]

Rather have something permanent like a white flag or 30% anatomy 101 than something temporary

Gear type I don't need or use. As a PvE guy with an all fighter team, medic vests and rifles are useless to me but very valuable for PvAIers

Unique item just wasn't very good. I was slumming a low level or gloves or so something similar.

I was expecting level 40 areas to come out soon and ditched everything else for peak oil 50% books before the trade value plummeted [ohh that hurt, I miss those vests and I could have done much better selling the items for keys for fuel boxes]

wonderfish

wonderfish
  • 49 posts

It doesn't take anything away from me that someone else has heaps of uniques. So they spend lots of time and money on this? Awesome, I'm sure Con has use for that $, and that $ is that pays also my having access to Last Stand - Dead Zone. So, keep hunting, folks, and all power to you.

SQQ

SQQ
  • 387 posts

i like the idea. but i like a modified version of it.

i prefer, max of 2 uniques and 3 rares allowed on raids. that way, if some collector wants to keep uniques, the can still do so. and hoarding large number of uniques would have diminishing returns very quickly.

so my idea is like a soft cap.

CarbonNitride

CarbonNitride
  • 84 posts

I don't have a DMU and I still think this is a stupid idea. It seems like JHPinto already has a bunch of uniques and simply wants to garuntee the future value of his collection and at the same time greatly increasing the present value, seeing as he makes no provisions for people who already exceed his proposed cap, I'm assuming he wants them grandfathered in like the DMU purchasers at $15.

Lostman

Lostman
  • 125 posts

This is ridiculous.

I get it. DMU people have tons of uniques, and when they whine about "just getting ONE Unique during the week" it's... cringe-worthy.

But this is completely ridiculous.

A cap? Really? You know those "rich" players will simply quit for that? Don't you know MOST players would quit for that? Players as in the people that make this game possible by buying fuel and other things? So the idea is that "rich" players would just give or trade the items? You really think that would happen? So everyone gets hands-me-down free items. Yeah! That's completely and absolutely NOT a terrible idea. "Uniques for everybody" my ass.

Hours spent scavenging, using books and praying to the RNG for a good item, day after day. Hours reading and reading in the trade channel looking for the right offer, the right person to trade, day after day. All that has gotten me 5 uniques and 13 rares. Without spending a dime in fuel (something that I plan to correct because I love this game), without the DMU (because BORING). But, look at this.... now I'm a RICH player. So if, out of DUMB LUCK, I get another unique... I'm capped? because someone thinks putting a cap on good items is some kind of poetic justice? The fuck?

So, because someone has better luck than you, you must punish them? So, because someone decided to spend money on something to get items more easily, you must punish them? Out of a twisted sense of equality?

No. It's only because you got envious. It's just another "I want free uniques because someone has and that makes me angry for some reason" idea thread.

You want items? Work for them. You don't get them through scavenging? Trade for them. You know how I got a lot of my rares? Nails. Metal spikes. RESOURCES. Just by waiting for the right trade. So don't tell me "you don't have the money to get expensive items" or any other excuse.

This idea is terrible. Counterproductive. It would harm the game, it would harm the players. So no.

SnuggleNugget

SnuggleNugget
  • 405 posts

hehe.....hehe.....HAHA...HAHAHA...BWAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

The Architect

The Architect
  • 2,995 posts

The trouble is, this would make the Deathmobile Upgrade not worth the money. At the end of the day (speaking as a level 1 Deathmoblie User), the DMU is $30, and in turn brings lots of rewards with it. $30 is alot of money, and a SP of the Level 2 Deathmobile is the HUGE amounts of rares/uniques that can be scavenged. although I'm jealous of the high-levelled players with all the good weps, after all they deserve it. it's their donations that give Con a large portion of income, and keep Dead Zone running

To conclude, a cap on rares/uniques would cripple Dead Zone, it's a terrible idea

Xaro Jones,

X Syndicate Leader

In the PH, you can feed a lot of homeless with that 30$

This is ridiculous.

I get it. DMU people have tons of uniques, and when they whine about "just getting ONE Unique during the week" it's... cringe-worthy.

But this is completely ridiculous.

A cap? Really? You know those "rich" players will simply quit for that? Don't you know MOST players would quit for that? Players as in the people that make this game possible by buying fuel and other things? So the idea is that "rich" players would just give or trade the items? You really think that would happen? So everyone gets hands-me-down free items. Yeah! That's completely and absolutely NOT a terrible idea. "Uniques for everybody" my ass.

Hours spent scavenging, using books and praying to the RNG for a good item, day after day. Hours reading and reading in the trade channel looking for the right offer, the right person to trade, day after day. All that has gotten me 5 uniques and 13 rares. Without spending a dime in fuel (something that I plan to correct because I love this game), without the DMU (because BORING). But, look at this.... now I'm a RICH player. So if, out of DUMB LUCK, I get another unique... I'm capped? because someone thinks putting a cap on good items is some kind of poetic justice? The fuck?

So, because someone has better luck than you, you must punish them? So, because someone decided to spend money on something to get items more easily, you must punish them? Out of a twisted sense of equality?

No. It's only because you got envious. It's just another "I want free uniques because someone has and that makes me angry for some reason" idea thread.

You want items? Work for them. You don't get them through scavenging? Trade for them. You know how I got a lot of my rares? Nails. Metal spikes. RESOURCES. Just by waiting for the right trade. So don't tell me "you don't have the money to get expensive items" or any other excuse.

This idea is terrible. Counterproductive. It would harm the game, it would harm the players. So no.

At least for those who have DMU, but they are the minority of the players. Capping the acquired unique will allow the system to increase the chance without spamming the unique. But if it were up to me, i'd add Pseudo-Random chance system, so those people who actually play and spend time, not money will have a reward.

So, this encouraging people to actually play is an even bigger help than your DMU, as advertising FB and other stuffs bring more than just 30$ per player, but over time it's actually a bigger investment. Since majority are less likely to spend 30$ that is already complete, imagine 1$ per player per month, Currently DZ have a 100,000 players, so that is 100,000$ "Sure" money, than having a chance of getting or not getting 30$ per player, and majority do not use DMU after all. Within 3 years, the profit of a "one time" 30$ for each player would have been exceeded by the profit, and then the 30% dollars would have not been relevant anymore (in accounting logic).

Edited by GabbyManuel, 28 June 2013 - 07:42 AM.

Grind Monkey

Grind Monkey
  • 302 posts

A cap? Really? You know those "rich" players will simply quit for that? Don't you know MOST players would quit for that? Players as in the people that make this game possible by buying fuel and other things?

He is not wrong on this.

On the other hand as many people used to say on the other forum.

Beta.

If this were to be done, perhaps a grandfathering system.

Rain08

Rain08
  • 1,370 posts

So you want to handicap those who have tons of rares or uniques? It will mean that those players who have the "handicap" will never get a chance to get a new and a better one, it's like preventing people from voting others too much and this could just turn in to a "dictatorship" (I don't know what term to use) like item drops. Like others said, this could hurt the trading business, and could cause players to quit. I have a question for your 9 months of playing, are those 9 months was mostly PvP? I would presume yes since I know that you like to raid others all the time.

Hezm

Hezm
  • 434 posts

You are right about prices of trade are ridiculously high. Even my ''new'' high level rares are not selling not to mention purples..

Though communism is good idea but doesn't work in practice..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uniques, Rares, Balacing game