Once upon a time, there was an age of snipers, of men that could pick off entire raiding forces with their legendary weapons and be back in time for tea. It was a simple age, where the law of the gun kept peace across the peoples. All was fine and well until one day, a fantastic fog that rolled in from across the sea. Visibility fell to meters, supplies became scarce and the law of the gun weakened, letting predators stalk the mists...
FOG OF WAR
Fog of War events encourage PvP (esp. high levels) and help devs playtest. It might come about every 8 weeks or so, during which time raiding is very different! During Fog of War:
1. People are encouraged to raid NPC compounds to learn how to raid with fog rules in play and get raiding achievements.
2. Devs encouraged to experiment with mechanics i.e. increased aiming times, loudness so that we can have more diverse tactics. 
3. There may be a global raiding task; at the very least the bounty office should be busy :)
FOG OF WAR RULES:
The sight range is reduced to 15-20m during raids. You (and the defenders) won't be able to see any enemies outside of this range unless they're shooting, being shot at, are close to a spotlight or have triggered a trap - which opens up all kinds of tactical opportunities.
(n.b. considering reducing sight range further to 12-16m to make things more interesting, 15-20m is still out of most range)
Tips for attackers:
1. If you shoot at a tower from beyond sight range, the rest of the compound will still shoot back at you.
2. If you walk into a defender's sight they'll shoot you first. Bring grenades and advance cautiously.
3. Watch out for ambushes; you don't know where the enemy is when you start and they might be where you least expect it!
4. Vision is shared. If one of the defenders can see you, so can their snipers.
5. Suppressing fire still works as normal, although shooting outside of effective range is even less effective
6. You'll still need smoke grenades. 20m is still too far for most weapons (or grenades) to be effective.
7. Attacking with long rifles may work if you get a tank to spot for you, but don't expect good results if the enemy's balled up.
Tips for defenders:
1. The attackers can't tell where your survivors are in deployment, so if you have balls you can set up an ambush on the "undefended" side.
2. Traps (even decoys) reveal attackers when they go off, making them more dangerous.
3. Spotlights reveal anyone around them; try to use it to your advantage.
4. It's worth keeping long rifles around to support your frontline defenders (and spotters)
5. Relax, you won't have to rearrange your compound too much. Just think about how you'll use your traps and defenders better.
1. PvE missions during Fog Of War: vision reduction doesn't stack with "Ooh shiny" and long range isn't really a PVE thing, but we can increase the vision range for PvE if there's lots of complaints. Major problem's just running into zedblobs, which can be prevented if you know where they spawn.
2. Zed defence: Largely unchanged; zed defence was never meant to be particularly difficult anyway.
3. Night fighting update: If fog rules test favorably, they can be adopted for night fighting (which is the same as day fighting right now)
4. Suppressed and quiet weapons: Devs, please make these useful.
5. Altered morale effects: would probably suck cause of all the injuries / food and water losses from raiding, so I'm thinking about this in detail.
There's also been ideas involving NVGs or thermal sights or other vision boosters as high level passive gear (if night fighting becomes a thing); please add your thoughts and thanks for reading the overly long post!
footnotes: I originally suggested introducing new weapons, gear or traps during this time, but realistically speaking the best way to satisfy people is to create new ways to use old content in more inventive ways instead of making more. Like getting new games for an existing console, it's cheaper and more fun for everybody that way. Then again, I'd definitely prepare new weapons, defences and whatnot every time the raiding season came around ;P
Edit: 9/07 RAIDING SEASON (optional addon, probably not going to happen)
During Fog of War, NPC "raids" might happen while you're at the compound (Raiders sighted!) These give quite a neat little chunk of XP, but you'll lose some resources if you fail to defend and can surrender if you don't want your survivors to be injured. If you beat the raiders off, you can choose to retaliate and raid their "NPC compound" for XP, basic resources and some gear - so higher level players can "pvp" without pissing off lots of people and try something new and challenging once in a while.
I'm aware that introducing this will be a lot of work for Con, so isn't vital that this is introduced in the near future - it beats mowing down endless waves of zeds and goes well with the fog of war rules though!
Edited by Midimiaow, 02 September 2013 - 01:14 PM.