Photo

What Would Be Your Priorities In A Zombie Apocalypse

Apocalypse Zombie Priority

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

WalkerSniper

WalkerSniper
  • 422 posts

I'm curious to what would be your priorities be in surviving a zombie apocalypse and why because we'd all try survive in different way.

For example:

Food and/or Water: because you'll obivously die from starvation or dehydration.

Other people: Saftey in numbers.

Weapons (melee or firearms): self defence against both the living and dead.

Were you'll be suriving: People have different idea of were the best place is to surivive.

Medicine: In the long run illnesses will occur so best to be prepared.

I'd like you to give your reasoning and it'll be better if you put them in order.

If you come with one that isn't on this list I'll add them and give you credit.

By chili:

Where to go for supplies: Risk vs Reward for example a city would be packed but someone smart enough could exploit that fact.

Building: if you found a place you want to stay, then barricades and other thinks are good to have.

I'll start with my top 3:

Other people: I'd have a okay chance of suriving but not on my own because I'd lose my mind with no one around and I'm hardly force to be reckoned with and it's likey I'll find someone better at suriving than me.

Location: all the food and weapons in the world mean nothing if the place you're in is a deathtrap.

Weapons: We'll have a hard time getting food and water if you can't even fight off the zombies.

Edited by zombiesniper, 22 July 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Chili

Chili
  • 216 posts

Can I add some?

-Where to go for supplies e.g. stores, camps, supermarkets, police stations, etc.

-What to build first e.g. defenses, veg gardens, rain catchers, weapons (shot pistol FTW!), etc.

Top to Bottom

1. Other People: The more the merrier huh?

2. Weapons: There's some weapons out there with our names on them!

3. Food/Water: No one wants a slow death due to hunger and thirst.

4. Location: Need a place to sleep and store your stuff eh? I think I can hook you up.

5. Meds. "Nuff' Said"

-Chili

Edited by Chili, 22 July 2013 - 10:54 AM.

ranggagreat

ranggagreat
  • 136 posts

honestly i think the top 3 are the same as you zombiesniper...

Major priorities to Minor Priorities :

other people : why?

read this quote

"you live alone, you die alone, only when you with family and friend you can make an illusion that you're not alone"

well i must say it's useless to search a food when you're at a wrong location.

weapons : why ?

don't be silly, if you don't have one, how do you fight off the places worth of supplies but also zombie infested?

supplies ( food and water) : 

if you already have good location, weapon and some people, you're good to scavenge a supermarket for food and water.

medicine : 

well you can luckily found a medicine when you're searching for supplies.

kronosian

kronosian
  • 812 posts

food water meds weapons thats about it 

Revenant

Revenant
  • 437 posts

considering i live at a small town in a condominium. i guess best idea would be to buckle-up with my my family and few neighbors to gather supplies and hold the place for as long as it is useful. Its relatively well protected with iron gates and walls. there is a pumping water system, farm-able area for a small group. so food and water won't be a problem. but the lack of weapons would ... firearms i mean, because house-made weapons would be plenty around. Since i work for the security at the town hall ... i know where are the guns and armored vehicles (those big cash-carriers). 

My best bet would be to acquire enough food and water for a long trip and take those guns and vehicles to leave for a less populated area. because no matter how easy is to hold a place ... it will be always impossible when the infection rate reaches the "red zone". 

Dead Generations

Dead Generations
  • 1,076 posts

Surviving.

tangytoby

tangytoby
  • 668 posts

I live adjacent to some hills so as a last resort I could drive up . However I would barricade my home first since my home has  a large garden, and I live in not very populated area so I'd group up with neighbors to make a stronghold. I have the axes and guns so I'll be fine, while We'd get food from gardens or scavenging from other houses, or steal some cows and Turkey since the hills I live next to is also a free ranged farm with lots of wild turkey  and deer. There's a lot of stores though I'd probrably want to stock up before hand.

JonCorleone

JonCorleone
  • 452 posts

Large groups of people are a liability.  This would mean splitting pretty much all resources among everyone which just isn't realistic for long term survival.

At most I would stay with a group of 6 people.   This would be enough watch each other's backs and potentially split up to cover more ground.  If I was to establish an entrenched position (a compound) more people would be necessary, but I would be sure to get the hell out of the city once I got enough supplies/comrades

As for the priorities:

Food

is the most important, not only is it the most essential for survival but it would be among the most scavenged (as in most rare) in the very first stages of anarchy.

Weapons

would be next because defense against all others is high on the list of priorities.

Transportation:

Once the first stages are over, the infection could potentially ramp up and make life in the cities very tough.  Out to the hills would be the first destination

Edited by JonCorleone, 22 July 2013 - 07:48 PM.

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,224 posts

Hi everyone, I'm back from my ban. Anyway, here I go.

PRIORITIES

#1 Food and water

#2 Weapons and ammo

#3 Safehouse

There is a state park within walking distance of my house, on top of a large hill. There is a ranger station and a fire tower on top, and plenty of trails leading down the it. It is secluded, with a good vantage point, and is right in the middle of my town. This means that it would be ideal shelter for me.

The places I would stay away from would mainly be the police stations and hospitals. These places were likely overrun soon after the outbreak. 

And of course, I could convince my neighbors to join me, so I would have fellow survivors.

Edited by LPGD, 23 July 2013 - 12:57 AM.

Midimiaow

Midimiaow
  • 329 posts

In most cases, people are the enemy. Not zombies. Staying in a metropolitan area will get you killed, although sometimes it's the only option (esp. as people will be heading out to the hills after grabbing supplies)

For situations like this, I recommend a "Get Out Of Dodge" Kit (not to be confused with a GECK, which is useful too)

My first priority would be a shovel and various non-power tools, which are usable as a weapon AND rebuilding tools.

My second priority would be food, or at the very least "acquiring" it from people. You probably don't want to be anywhere near me.

My third priority would be getting trapping materials, so I can breed pigeons and catch intruders in traps. Traps save energy and are less likely to get you injured.

Also, you would probably not want to be near me in a zombie apocalypse unless I was a very good friend.

I would not prioritise getting more than 4 survivors, as the logistics of getting food, water and waste disposal get hard after that.

Edited by Midimiaow, 23 July 2013 - 08:06 AM.

matteofumagalli

matteofumagalli
  • 213 posts

priorities are , for me, supplies, med, weapons, and a shelter. for the shelter i live in a two condominiums complex so no prob same for food and medicine i have a little supermarket and a pharmacy 200m from my house plus my complex have a large garden with possibilities of farming. the real problem are weapons which are very far from my house but i guess that i can supply with the hardware store near the supermarket so hammer, axe  and saw

JonCorleone

JonCorleone
  • 452 posts

Shelter is irrelevant in the first stages of an apocalypse.  

The odds of being raided/scavenged are far higher when there are other desperate/hungry survivors around.

Survival is first, and that means mobility.  

Once most of the population is gone, only then I would make a shelter/stronghold a la Walking Dead or LSDZ.  

Until then, lasting the first few months will take priority over anything and everything.  

And that means food, weapons, transportation and naught else.

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,224 posts

Shelter is irrelevant in the first stages of an apocalypse.  

The odds of being raided/scavenged are far higher when there are other desperate/hungry survivors around.

Survival is first, and that means mobility.  

Once most of the population is gone, only then I would make a shelter/stronghold a la Walking Dead or LSDZ.  

Until then, lasting the first few months will take priority over anything and everything.  

And that means food, weapons, transportation and naught else.

True. The best option is to carry what you can and hide the rest in caches around the city, so that it will stay hidden until you can retrieve it when you settle down.

Meep

Meep
  • 25 posts

Not everyone would turn into a raiding maniac, you know. Colonies would emerge with their own governments and law enforcement, given time

Also, fancy walking the streets every day, surrounded by the not-quite-dead, not even having a place to go back to? Just another sanity thing, the same as having the company of other survivors.

Also, dammit, double post.

Edited by Meep, 23 July 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Meep

Meep
  • 25 posts

Edited by Meep, 23 July 2013 - 10:05 PM.

WalkerSniper

WalkerSniper
  • 422 posts

Not everyone would turn into a raiding maniac, you know. Colonies would emerge with their own governments and law enforcement, given time

Correct, but what would people do with that power and who would make the rules is the real question.

Aalamas

Aalamas
  • 10 posts

going to sound weird but i would go to the woods cause i spent most of my youth there (playing hunting etc.) my shelter would be in the trees(i pray zombies dont learn to climb) can make weapons weak but weapons out of branchs.

but for supplies water and food for sure and if i can get a good fire arm ammo.

Meds? if you understand plants (which i dont fully) you can make minor herd med but still need go to the city and search.

other people would need them but i wouldnt go looking for them idk if they got bite or infected so before i went anywhere with them i would check that. Also based on there skills as well since i live in a small area volunteer fire depts are all we have and i am part of one so i got some emt exp.  I would most likely take anyone who is not likely to run at the first signs of trouble (they will alert the zombies and get you all killed) and get those who can fight and tech others to fight.

TimKho

TimKho
  • 68 posts

Well I live in Perth, Australia. Its a city with around 2 million people and one of the worlds most spread out and isolated cities. Honolulu is the only city that beats us in terms of isolation. it also has a relatively large police, military, and medical force. The freakin SASR is based near my school so basically i would wait holed up in my apartment which is right next to the city which may not be a good thing. If the epidemic is airborne and I somehow survive, police and military equipment should be left right outside my doorway if it didn't turn them that quickly. Maybe pick up a HK416 or AUG the SASR uses or a Glock from the police and drive my car out of this city. The city is quite dense but the suburb isn't. I could drive out of Perth to the farm areas and attempt to stay with them. Then I would just wait out of this situation or live the rest of my life on a farm.

Food: The farm supplies that or the supermarkets

Water: Should be some wells out in the outback

People: Very friendly people. Groups should be relatively large for me around 8-16 preferably but I can accept more people. Lots of residence escpecially the older people were conscripted into the army and many are in the reserves so there should be no shortages of combat capably people. Doctors are harder to get if they haven't all been eaten in the hospital.

Weapons: Right outside my doorsteps. I would prefer melee weapons for everyday routine because its quiet but for raids I would prefer firearms probably an assault rifle from the local army base or army checkpoint during the outbreak

Best place of survivability: The outback or farms

Weapons: Right outside my doorway if the epidemic didn't infect Perth too fast

Medical: Lots of hospitals but not ideal to raid and I'm about the learn Wilderness First Aid, but right now I'll have to depend on a live doctor

Edited by TimKho, 24 July 2013 - 12:24 AM.

Fyrwulf

Fyrwulf
  • 188 posts

Weapons: Without a way to defend yourself, you die. Not only do you have to deal with zeds, you have to deal with people who are going to take advantage of a complete breakdown of society. Also, other groups just looking to survive are going to look to themselves and theirs first and foremost, so they probably won't think twice about running a Mozambique Drill on your ass. It's probably best to have a rifle, pistol, and shotgun for every person; the more common and powerful the caliber the better.

Shelter: Preferably permanent, preferably elevated above the surrounding geography, minimum of 300m clear landscape in all directions. Your best bet is a multistory home on a hill with a kilometer of clear land.

Water: Doesn't have to be immediately potable. You can jury rig effective filters from a tube sock, crushed charcoal, sand, and small gravel. Also, boiling is always effective in removing organic nasties.

Food: Food is going to be readily available, even if it isn't what you'd eat in a normal situation. Plus, you can live upwards of three weeks without food.

Medical: Actual medicines actually have a very short lifespan as effective treatments. You're better off maintaining a relatively balanced and healthy diet, plus having a knowledge of what local herbs can be used to treat symptomatic individuals. Sprains, muscle/ligament tears, and breaks can be treated by binding the effected area and bed rest while the injury heals.

Also, just as important as all of the above, do not accept people in your group that you didn't know before the shit hit the fan. And if you can't tell from the above, it's probably best to get out of the city and only come back if absolutely necessary.

Abrahami

Abrahami
  • 187 posts

Supply up, move on & hunker down. If in doubt, na(il)palm bomb.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apocalypse, Zombie, Priority