Photo

Ideas Concerning Class Balance

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Chaosticket

Chaosticket
  • 165 posts

Ok you want a class buffing for more inexplicable magic abilities? I want a major overhaul to rebabalance them instead of creating specialized classe like a RPG game. I read a comparison to Diablo, which is unfortunately accurate. this game is similar TO DIABLO. That just makes me look down on Con.

I really want to be able to buff character THE WAY i WANT. I want my characters to stop being TV/movie stereotypes.

1 "jarhead fighter" only good at fighting

2 "clumsy doctor" would be dead if he couldnt heal.

3 "useless civilian" only good for scavenging.

4 "meathead engineer" really just great with a shovel

5 "deadeye recon" marksmen who fumbles knives.

because you cant choose skills all my characters are stereotypes from level 1 to level 50. the only player-based decisions is just swapping brains with another stereotype, there is no real growth.

Edited by Chaosticket, 13 April 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Nicol_Djaghilev

Nicol_Djaghilev
  • 569 posts

My main issue is that recons die like glass cannons, but don't have the damage of a glass cannon. That's what makes them inferior. For engineers, their purpose is supposed to be trap disarming - a purpose that was marginally useful to begin with and is redundant now with active gear.

The game has changed but the classes haven't, and it shows.

This.

Recons and engineers are definitely two classes that could use some polishing.

One thing i dislike about recons is the lack of variety in the choice of weapons. Sure, you can equip FALs on missions, but on defense/raid, you have two choices: the M-24, or... some more M-24.

I'm also still waiting for a way to let those recon vests be useful.

Maybe, since they are supposed to be sniper-like kind of guys, the class could be made a little more stealthy? I'm thinking maybe adding a cloaking ability, or making them harder to spot by the AI unless firing. That would make them perfect for setting ambushes.

Chaosticket

Chaosticket
  • 165 posts

Cloaking...that just makes me angry. again with magical abilities.

You know what classes could use? the ability to walk/sneak making little noise. combined with supressed weapons and you could easily take down zombies without attracting a horde.

Nicol_Djaghilev

Nicol_Djaghilev
  • 569 posts

Cloaking...that just makes me angry. again with magical abilities.

You know what classes could use? the ability to walk/sneak making little noise. combined with supressed weapons and you could easily take down zombies without attracting a horde.

An environment-appropriate camo sheet is hardly magical... you could argue that zombies detect enemies by smell or whatever, but that's beside the point.

Sneaking is good, i'm thinking classes heavier than recons and medics would be impeded by all the armor and weapons they carry to be as good at moving silently.

Chaosticket

Chaosticket
  • 165 posts

moving, noisy, camouflaged meat is still moving, noisy, meat. I wonder how many of the zombies dont have working eyes. How would camouflage stop them?

unless you have something like a ghile suit in the grass, camouflage isnt a good idea. It might be good against other survivors a little, but its still an issue of moving very slowly and making very little noisy.

==========================

sneaking is a feature that should have been added long ago. it shouldnt be class dependant, as its not magical.

Its easier to sneak with lighter equipment, it could even give a greater benefit to using light recon vests over military armored vests.

sneaking is a good idea for a new feature, not a class ability.

Edited by Chaosticket, 13 April 2013 - 07:51 PM.

lolzarz

lolzarz
  • 410 posts

I...Sense...TF2 :D ...

"Engineer is credit to team"

Maybe we can let fighters bring food. See the reference?

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

"Engineer is credit to team"

Maybe we can let fighters bring food. See the reference?

lolzarz, dude, you're awesome :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chaosticket why the hate on Diablo? Lol it was one of the games that started the whole genre, I don't see how you can hate it...it's like hating doom or mario :-/ ...

Nicol +1 for the cloaking idea, Chaosticket same goes for sneaking...lol why not both? Combined, these could add a gazillion new tactics, both for missions and raids. 

Edited by Sandro_Jern, 14 April 2013 - 04:01 AM.

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 545 posts

Ok you want a class buffing for more inexplicable magic abilities? I want a major overhaul to rebabalance them instead of creating specialized classe like a RPG game. I read a comparison to Diablo, which is unfortunately accurate. this game is similar TO DIABLO. That just makes me look down on Con.

I really want to be able to buff character THE WAY i WANT. I want my characters to stop being TV/movie stereotypes.

1 "jarhead fighter" only good at fighting

2 "clumsy doctor" would be dead if he couldnt heal.

3 "useless civilian" only good for scavenging.

4 "meathead engineer" really just great with a shovel

5 "deadeye recon" marksmen who fumbles knives.

because you cant choose skills all my characters are stereotypes from level 1 to level 50. the only player-based decisions is just swapping brains with another stereotype, there is no real growth.

You do realize Con has openly stated that the loot system in this game is based on the Diablo series, right? It's not too far of a stretch of imagination to guess there's other elements from it as well.

And on topic, Diablo 2 is arguably the best ARPG ever made.