Photo

Long Range Weapons Are Useless During Missions

surrounded shoot too late long range weapons

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

HKm

HKm
  • 20 posts

Survivors wait to be attacked, rushed or surrounded before they start to shoot zombies. They take no advantage of long range weapons. I wish survivors start shooting as soon as they got zombies in their line of sight, so they can take down some before they come to close...

DJfriede

DJfriede
  • 888 posts

Do you have an Ooh Shiny equipped? It lowers the vision range. I found that my survivors react slowlier/later, when the shiny is equipped. Could be just my impression though.

Rain08

Rain08
  • 1,370 posts

All survivors will attack the zombies if they get in the effective range or inside the "White Circle". You can always shoot the zombies manually beyond the effective range but your accuracy is reduced.

tangytoby

tangytoby
  • 668 posts

Survivors wait to be attacked, rushed or surrounded before they start to shoot zombies. They take no advantage of long range weapons. I wish survivors start shooting as soon as they got zombies in their line of sight, so they can take down some before they come to close...

Perhaps they're are obstacles in the way. However, survivors not shooting at the maximum accurate range is quite annoying, though it only sometimes happens.

Strider

Strider
  • 215 posts

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Survivors tend to stare the zombies for a few seconds before they open fire on them, even while within their effective range. Irks me quite a little as well because it just leaves the zeds an open invitation to close in on your survivors before they even engage with them.

Seres69

Seres69
  • 230 posts

Survivors usually wait for zombies to "come out of their hole" before attacking them. When a survivor with a gun killed a zombie before others fully spawned, he/she will fire on the just spawning zombies.

HKm

HKm
  • 20 posts

Do you have an Ooh Shiny equipped? It lowers the vision range. I found that my survivors react slowlier/later, when the shiny is equipped. Could be just my impression though.

Yes, I have this book equiped most of the time. Will check without to see if any change happens...

HKm

HKm
  • 20 posts

It occurs with and without the book. Survivors turn their head to where the zombies spawn, watch them until they get close and then start firing...

aartamen

aartamen
  • 100 posts

It occurs with and without the book. Survivors turn their head to where the zombies spawn, watch them until they get close and then start firing...

There's a grace zone of several tiles outside of the spawn zone that the survivors will not fire into. If a zombie is just running down the  street a survivor will blast at it as soon as it crosses the white line. Do not position your team too close to the spawn. Another valid theory is that a zombie is not targetable for a short period after a spawn.

HKm

HKm
  • 20 posts

There's a grace zone of several tiles outside of the spawn zone that the survivors will not fire into. If a zombie is just running down the  street a survivor will blast at it as soon as it crosses the white line. Do not position your team too close to the spawn. Another valid theory is that a zombie is not targetable for a short period after a spawn.

You can't get away from spawn points because :

1. The spawn points change according to the survivors location (the spawn points follow your progression on the map)

2. The spawn points are close to the containers : to protect your scavenger you have to stand close to him/her

3. The long range weapons cover at least one spawn point whatever your location is

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,219 posts

But the spawn points are pretty visible. I mean, they're all a frickin hole in the wall! I would honestly be amazed if you can't find that with a quick scan of the map.

Edited by LPGD, 06 August 2013 - 09:29 PM.

SQQ

SQQ
  • 387 posts

long range wpns suck for mission. period. don't bother trying.

Strider

Strider
  • 215 posts

That's a rather counter productive attitude.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,159 posts

Long rifles are about as useful for missions as shotguns are for raids.

Always use the right tool for the job.

Abrahami

Abrahami
  • 187 posts

Respecting category of long (sniper) rifles, they should be fired with "one shot" mindset, to eliminate high-profile targets. Since zeds don't have (ranged) snipers or VIP's, there's not much to do when horde of hungry pile of meat charges towards you.

Battle rifles/DMR's are a minor exception, such as FAL and SVD, granted...

Yet they still lacks crowd control power of weapons such as LMG's.

Aya Malevonaire

Aya Malevonaire
  • 94 posts

Sometimes the reason they do this is because even though the zombies are coming out, they have not yet noticed the survivor but your survivor has (which is a good thing of course). Your survivor will naturally just watch them until the zombies turn to attack him/her or a team mate which means they are playing defensive until you manual them. Again, this is another good thing, you don't want to provoke an unprovoked zombie when you can (if you're only after the loot not the exp), doing otherwise so, provokes the game into rushes.

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 540 posts

long range wpns suck for mission. period. don't bother trying.

Have fun running high level missions with all melee weapons.

To OP, there is a period of about 1 second after a zombie appears from a spawn point that they will not be targeted by your survivors, probably to counteract spawn farming. It's a good idea to not keep your people too close to any of the spawn points on the map, especially melee fighters - even though the zombie spawns right in front of them, it usually gets a hit on your melee fighter before he can down them - this is even worse if 2-3 spawn from the same entrance.

Keep your survivors close to each other and a small distance from any holes in the walls and you should be fine.

Dragongrace

Dragongrace
  • 9 posts

However I have often had the reaction that melee users run into the group of freshly spawned zombies,

then they just stand still among the zombies until the zombies start attacking. thus losing initiative and sometimes getting hurt Before they even made their first swing.

that annoys me a bit about melee users.

Edited by Dragongrace, 31 March 2014 - 02:16 PM.

Dragongrace

Dragongrace
  • 9 posts

However I have often had the reaction that melee users detect and then  run into the group of freshly spawned zombies,

then they just stand still among the zombies until the zombies start attacking. thus losing initiative and sometimes getting hurt Before they even made their first swing.

that annoys me a bit about melee users.

Duo Maxwell

Duo Maxwell
  • 33 posts

I've noticed that survivors won't fire on zombies that don't seem to have noticed them yet.  I've had a survivor a rather short distance away from a zombie, motionless and behind it, well inside the range of the weapon, but the survivor didn't open up until AFTER the zombie turned around and started attacking.  This scenario was only a stand-out to me because of how close the zombie and survivor were to each other; I'd seen it happen many times at longer ranges.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surrounded, shoot, too late, long range, weapons