Block Lists

Trolling Blocklist Block Offensive Block LImit Chat Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Etimai

Etimai
  • 93 posts

POPULAR

So for particularly nasty EULA violations we are supposed to send screenshots to support@conartistgames.com. However for your non violating troll our only option is to mute them. And in fact most responses to peoples complaints about other behavior is that there is a block feature for a reason.

But what happens when there is no longer a viable block feature?

needblock_zps568a0905.png

Yeah the person I want to block is still spouting obscenities at me and the rest of chat. Whoops, apparently when block lists went from client side to serverside, I had too many blocks, so I am no longer able to filter any of the trash that shows up in chat anymore.

The server side block list is nice because it is permanent, but at the same time it must be limited for storage reasons. Client side was nice because it was unlimited but unfortunately was also transient in nature.

Perhaps rather than having one or the other we should have both? When you click on the option to block someone, I think that a window with a simple question should pop up.

"Do you want to add this person to your account ignore list?"

Yes, No, Cancel.

Clicking Yes adds the blocked person into the serverside block list, clicking no will add them into your cookies, and of course obvious cancel is obvious. People who you really do not want to ever see or talk to again can go into a limited but permanent file, while transient trash who you probably will not have to bother with soon can go into an unlimited temporary bin. At the very least if you end up filling up the server side block list, you still have an alternative when chat simply falls down the drain.

~Drei

Edited by Etimai, 14 October 2013 - 05:33 PM.

MelissaO

MelissaO
  • 817 posts

That is an excellent idea! Unfortunately there appear to be WAY too many unsupervised children in desperate need of mummys love, attention and discipline playing on the internet these days and they all find their way into chat.

WalkerSniper

WalkerSniper
  • 422 posts

That is an excellent idea! Unfortunately there appear to be WAY too many unsupervised children in desperate need of mummys love, attention and discipline playing on the internet these days and they all find their way into chat.

Couldn't of put it better myself.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,629 posts

Its like kids on Xbox Live, they're dropping N bombs everywhere!!!

Rose Mantis

Rose Mantis
  • 1,009 posts

Or you know... basic trolls which from how you react, probably means you are DELICIOUS troll bait.

chankim

chankim
  • 326 posts

Or you know... basic trolls which from how you react, probably means you are DELICIOUS troll bait.

Maybe. But lets say I'm trying to carry out a conversation with someone, or trying to make a good trade. all those trolls flooding the chat is not going to help.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,629 posts

better yet WHY is there a block limit?

chankim

chankim
  • 326 posts

better yet WHY is there a block limit?

The block feature has been moved to the server side from the player side, so you have a server-wide block on a person, but you have a block limit since you can only use up so much bytes. 

Lostman

Lostman
  • 125 posts

I can't come with an idea that can't be used to both stop trolls AND trolling.

In the meantime, there's a solution, but it's a very bad solution: clean your blocklist. Yeah, it sounds stupid, but some of these trolls are stupid people that stop playing after 2 days 'cause they get bored because of their little, non-functioning brains and their short-time attention spans. So they'll simply won't bother you again, and you have a "free block slot". Then, block every single idiot you come across. I'm pretty sure you'll have enough blocks for a short time, then rinse and repeat.

It's a rudimentary solution, and a bad one at that, but it's something.

warbrand2

warbrand2
  • 1,289 posts

here's one a universal block list, if a person is blocked by 20 people above level 20 then they are temp blocked by every one for lets say 2 weeks.... though this can be abused it sort of would work like my temp ban, give them time to think of what they where doing that is wrong and improve on said thing in this case stop doing what ever it is.

Lord Kronosian

Lord Kronosian
  • 1,119 posts

In the meantime, there's a solution, but it's a very bad solution: clean your blocklist. Yeah, it sounds stupid, but some of these trolls are stupid people that stop playing after 2 days 'cause they get bored because of their little, non-functioning brains and their short-time attention spans. So they'll simply won't bother you again, and you have a "free block slot". Then, block every single idiot you come across. I'm pretty sure you'll have enough blocks for a short time, then rinse and repeat.

This is the only way to deal with trolls

MelissaO

MelissaO
  • 817 posts

here's one a universal block list, if a person is blocked by 20 people above level 20 then they are temp blocked by every one for lets say 2 weeks.... though this can be abused it sort of would work like my temp ban, give them time to think of what they where doing that is wrong and improve on said thing in this case stop doing what ever it is.

Its a decent idea, the only problem I see with it is that I know several people who automatically block those who speak a foriegn language (foriegn to them) in chat just because it makes following chat more difficult. So it would kind of suck for someone to get auto blocked by everyone because they arent typing in english :/

Probably this is the only thing you can do..and I agree. Many of the people like that do not stay in the game, thankfully.

Edited by MelissaO, 15 October 2013 - 02:03 AM.

warbrand2

warbrand2
  • 1,289 posts

yeah that's the only real down side and it's one I can't think of a way around, besides asking con to add the ability to chose a none English chat room.

Edited by warbrand2, 15 October 2013 - 02:01 AM.

Lord Kronosian

Lord Kronosian
  • 1,119 posts

yeah that's the only real down side and it's one I can't think of a way around, besides asking con to add the ability to chose a none English chat room.

That will cause a lot of trouble for con and the servers

MelissaO

MelissaO
  • 817 posts

Its just really too bad some people have to be that way and there is a need to even discuss the block list being full.

Spoiler

warbrand2

warbrand2
  • 1,289 posts

yeah sad as it is, negativity is a dominant trait among humans online.

MelissaO

MelissaO
  • 817 posts
Kinda makes me sad for them because I'd say allot of the ones who are jerks are really just lonely people with allot of self hate. They strike out at others to make themselves feel better. But ya know it takes the same amount of effort to reach out and make friends as it does to strike out and make enemies.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,173 posts

Simpler solution?

/block <username> = permanent block on the game servers.

/mute <username> = "temporary" block client side.

Sev

Sev
  • 551 posts

Zingman's idea was the solution I had in mind.

Basically you can block someone permanently or silence them for the current session.  It shouldn't be too hard to implement either, so I will do it when I get the chance.

I think I will also chuck in a way to clear empty your blocked lists so you can start fresh with the new system if you like.

MelissaO

MelissaO
  • 817 posts

Simpler solution?

/block <username> = permanent block on the game servers.

/mute <username> = "temporary" block client side.

That is an excellant idea!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trolling, Blocklist, Block, Offensive, Block LImit, Chat Cleanup