Photo

Using Zombies For Raiding?

zombie trap weapon pen raid PvP corral offense defense food

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Nathaneil

Nathaneil
  • 24 posts

What if we could capture and use zombies as weapons during raids?

How it would work:

1. First you would need to build a zombie pen on your compound.

2. Then you would need to craft and/or loot some sort of tool used to capture the zombies.

3. Equip the tool to a survivor in their weapons slot.

4. Go on a mission with that survivor and target the zombie you want to capture. Make sure you bring other survivors along to accompany and defend the shepherd.

5. Escape with the zombie into the safe (green) zone. The Zombie will automatically be placed into the pen when your survivors arrive back home.

Upgrading the pen would allow you to hold more zombies. Upgrading the tool would allow you to capture higher leveled zombies (ex. level 10 tool = level 10 zombie). Once a zombie has been targeted, your survivors will ignore it until you capture it or abandon it (selecting a different zombie counts).

While Defending: Attackers may not attack (or destroy) the pen but they may release the zombies by walking up to it with one of their survivors and opening the gate. The zombies will rush forth and attack the enemy survivors and likely be killed. If any zombies survive they will automatically return to your pen after the raid.

While Attacking: Before you begin the raid, you will be asked if you want to use your zombies. If you say yes, some fuel will be deducted from your stock automatically, so that you can transport the zombies, and you will be allowed to place them around the perimeter, one at a time. If you do not place all of your zombies, the ones you didn't place will not be used. Once you begin the raid, you will have a button somewhere on the screen that will say "Release The Horde!" or something to that effect. If you do not press the button, your zombies will not be released and they will be in your pen when your survivors return home. If you do release them, they will enter from the edges and rush forth, attacking anything between them and the enemy survivors. They will not attack your survivors as long as they are fed. Any remaining zombies at the end of the raid will automatically be returned to the pen when your survivors return home.

Keeping your zombies fed: Keeping your zombies fed isn't essential, but it is advised. They will not die, but if you don't feed them they will turn on your survivors if they are released during a raid (offense OR defense). So how do you keep them fed? Simple, they eat from your food stock. "But they don't eat anything but flesh!" you might say. True, but let us assume that your food stock includes packaged flesh like fish, beef, or chicken just for the sake of simplicity. I'm not 100% sure of how that would work but I'll let you justify it any way you want. Now, how do you feed them? First you will need to click on the pen, and then click manage. In the manage UI (User Interface) there will be a couple options available. One of them will be "Automatically Feed Zombies." If you turn this option on then, everyday, your zombies will eat some food from your stock. Two zombie will eat the equivalent of one survivor's worth of food, so 1/2 per zombie. If your food stock runs out, your zombies will become agitated and attack your survivors if they're ever released.

Some of the other options in the manage UI will include: Equip Zombies (with gear, active gear, or clothing only) and Kill Zombie (to make room for a stronger zombie). *I can't think of any other options besides Train Zombie, which I won't include for obvious reason (zombies are stupid and can't be trained).

Reasons you would use zombies:

- Great way to trigger hidden traps

- Great way to cause greater destruction, faster

- Could be equipped with explosives (active gear) that trigger when the zombie dies

- Could be used as a distraction for a couple seconds as you close in

- Great for personal entertainment

- Perhaps it could affect your morale positively for every zombie you own (MY OWN PET ZOMBIE!?)

- Maybe you could experiment on the zombies and gain damage boosts vs. certain types

Things I want to leave open for discussion:

- How many zombies your pen will be able to hold per level

- *At what level will each upgrade become available

- How you will acquire a tool used for capturing zombies

- The number of shepherds you will be allowed to bring per mission

- *How much fuel it costs to use your zombies in a raid

- How much food your zombies will eat per day (I said 1/2, but I want your feedback)

- What happens to a zombie's equipment when the zombie is killed. Who gets it, if at all?

- More options for the Manage UI

- Anything else you can think of

*EDIT: If this idea is ever implemented it will introduce new challenge and strategy to the game, while remaining unnecessary and optional for those who do not like the feature. Even if you can't think of a way to use this feature, I believe others will be able to find creative uses, if given the chance.

MY GOD THIS IS GENIUS +1

one problem i have is that zombies are corpses they actually dont need sustenance ( food )

They don't NEED food but the are driven by it (and why they don't need as much as a normal survivor). That's why it isn't essential to feed them. If they weren't driven by food, then they wouldn't have caused an apocalypse in the first place.

Zombies do not discriminate between "master" and "target"- to them, if it isn't a zombie, it is food.

How do you know zombies don't discriminate? Has anyone actually tried to train a zombie without getting bit first? Maybe a zombie can be trained to recognize they'll be rewarded with food if they do certain things. In a way, they already do that. They know they'll get to eat if they attack a survivor, so perhaps you can train them to behave as long as you reward them with food. That was the basic concept, at least. Also, you must remember, every zombie game/movie/show has different types of zombie. Who says they always act the same way?

Suicide vests would be a less foolish idea- at least you'd be in too many pieces to reanimate, nevermind the whole "immunity" thing.

Perhaps you could put those suicide vests on the zombie :) That was actually one way I intended to use them.

Do you really want a pen of flesh eating monstrosities that would like nothing better than to suck the marrow from your bones living in your back yard?

Yes, yes I do. It puts me on edge and I like it! No, but really. If your defenses are good enough, then I wouldn't see a reason to be worried. You're already surrounded by zombies, might as well use that to your advantage.

Not to mention, how would you transport them or keep them from attacking YOU when you release them on a raid?

That's why I said it would cost fuel to actually use your zombies. You have a car in your compound from the very beginning. You could use that. And if it really came down to it, you could just shoot them but it's a game and NOT real life (zombies don't exist in real life, must I remind you) so it doesn't have to make sense to YOU in every single aspect. If a zombie apocalypse ever did break out in real life, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be exactly like the movies.

Zombies are not a risk at higher level horde attacks. I can't remember the last time one got to one of my barricades or took more than a couple of shots to go down. I regularly achieve XP rewards for 10, 15 or 20+ zombies down during a raid.

They would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for defenders and so pretty useless,. It just doesn't seem worth the developing time needed I'm afraid. Your idea does seem to be well written so don't lose hope

Yes, a random horde isn't a threat by itself, but if you supplement that with a couple raiders, I'm sure they could have a devastating effect. Oh, I can't break through that compound door? Let me send in 20 zombies and all five of my raiders at the same time!

Please leave a comment and a thumbs up if you liked the idea :) Criticism is welcome.

Edited by Nathaneil, 18 October 2013 - 05:07 AM.

Lord Kronosian

Lord Kronosian
  • 1,119 posts

MY GOD THIS IS GENIUS +1

one problem i have is that zombies are corpses they actually dont need sustenance ( food )

Edited by DABIGBOOM, 17 October 2013 - 01:30 AM.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,650 posts

What if we could capture and use zombies as weapons during raids?

walking-dead-3-spoiler-the-governor.jpg

Son is that you?

Lord Kronosian

Lord Kronosian
  • 1,119 posts

walking-dead-3-spoiler-the-governor.jpg

Son is that you?

hahahahahhahahahahhaah lolz  nice one max 

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,226 posts

Zombies do not discriminate between "master" and "target"- to them, if it isn't a zombie, it is food. Suicide vests would be a less foolish idea- at least you'd be in too many pieces to reanimate, nevermind the whole "immunity" thing.

Do you really want a pen of flesh eating monstrosities that would like nothing better than to suck the marrow from your bones living in your back yard? Not to mention, how would you transport them or keep them from attacking YOU when you release them on a raid?

*static*

The following is a public service announcement brought to you by the Foundation for the Widespread Use of Common Sense.

Encounters with zombies are to be avoided at all costs. If a zombie encounter is unavoidable, the wisest course of action is to shoot the zombie(s) in the head. Under no circumstances should you try to reason with, assist, or subdue a zombie. It is highly recommended that all zombie encounters be met with lethal force. Thank you for your cooperation.

*beep... beep... beeeeeep*

Take a downvote for pure lack of common sense. Just take it. 

*shakes head in disgust*

Edited by LPGD, 17 October 2013 - 06:48 PM.

Ayshford

Ayshford
  • 339 posts

This is way to sim zombie for me. Not only is it a departure from what the last stand games are about, but its a departure from all zombie standards.

Zombies are the ravenous horde, they are not toys.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Zombies are not a risk at higher level horde attacks. I can't remember the last time one got to one of my barricades or took more than a couple of shots to go down. I regularly achieve XP rewards for 10, 15 or 20+ zombies down during a raid.

They would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for defenders and so pretty useless,. It just doesn't seem worth the developing time needed I'm afraid. Your idea does seem to be well written so don't lose hope

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

whip-my-hair-walking-dead-zombie-gif.gif

Yeah. Walking Dead disapproves.

Nathaneil

Nathaneil
  • 24 posts

MY GOD THIS IS GENIUS +1

At least one person approves (somewhat)

*fixed the quote

Edited by Nathaneil, 17 October 2013 - 07:41 PM.

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

Last time I checked, I do not reply without proper punctuations.

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,226 posts

Last time I checked, I do not reply without proper punctuations.

Come to think of it, I don't think your name is "Dabigboom" either...

MY GOD THIS IS GENIUS +1

Notice the name of the person who actually posted the following quote.

MY GOD THIS IS GENIUS +1

I'm sensing a bit of "quote fraud" here. 

Edited by LPGD, 17 October 2013 - 06:43 PM.

warbrand2

warbrand2
  • 1,289 posts

Ok now I understand the hate on this forum.... god this idea sucks.

also is sounds like a crappy rework of one of my old ideas http://forum.conarti...lt-idea-rework/

Edited by warbrand2, 17 October 2013 - 05:12 PM.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,650 posts

also is sounds like a crappy rework of one of my old ideas http://forum.conarti...lt-idea-rework/

What ever happened to you leaving forever?

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

What ever happened to you leaving forever?

Was about to type the same thing.

But looks like his parting topic was deleted, so he decided to stay? Am I right?

Gimme a high five if I'm right. Yeah~

warbrand2

warbrand2
  • 1,289 posts

I would recommend you get back on topic.

also you just proved that no one read the post, I said I was either going to leave for a few days or a few months depending on how long it took for me to calm down took a day.

Edited by warbrand2, 17 October 2013 - 06:08 PM.

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,226 posts

also you just proved that no one read the post, I said I was either going to leave for a few days or a few months depending on how long it took for me to calm down took a day.

Mm-hmm. And I'm a Nigerian prince who needs you to email me your social security number for perfectly legal reasons. 

Are you really so dramatic that you would post a thread saying you'd take a few days off? I don't think even you are quite that bad. 

Stop changing what you said to fit your stories, or you'll sound like Kronosian. Again.

Nathaneil

Nathaneil
  • 24 posts

Fixed the quote, not that it mattered.

And I didn't steal your idea. I thought of my own, granted with some inspiration from other sources. So please don't call my idea a crappy rework based off of your crappy idea. If you don't like it, leave a comment (explaining why), give it down-vote, and gtfo (this applies to everyone). I don't want other threads being introduced into mine. You're derailing the topic and I don't appreciate it. Thank you.

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,650 posts

Mm-hmm. And I'm a Nigerian prince who needs you to email me your social security number for perfectly legal reasons. 

Are you really so dramatic that you would post a thread saying you'd take a few days off? I don't think even you are quite that bad. 

Stop changing what you said to fit your stories, or you'll sound like Kronosian. Again.

HA Nigerians, uh don't they have a problem with Radical Islamic Revolutionaries :/

LPGD

LPGD
  • 1,226 posts

HA Nigerians, uh don't they have a problem with Radical Islamic Revolutionaries :/

No clue, I'm just practicing my Bachelors Degrees in Sarcasm. Well, the degree I'd have if you could get a degree in sarcasm, that is.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Yes, a random horde isn't a threat by itself, but if you supplement that with a couple raiders, I'm sure they could have a devastating effect. Oh, I can't break through that compound door? Let me send in 20 zombies and all five of my raiders at the same time!

Please leave a comment and a thumbs up if you liked the idea :) Criticism is welcome.

So you want to be able to control additional combatants (in this case zombies) during a raid? Is this just a way of asking for more controllable characters when running a raid? Not only would that imbalance the PVP aspect of the game (up to 25 attackers vs a maximum 10 defenders controlled by AI), it would be a massive pain to micro manage all those characters. If you aren't controlling the zombies, they will have to follow the standard AI and be no threat at all.

PS, please feel free to ignore Warbrand2, he has posted a coupler of times that he is leaving but can't follow through with it (the most recent from this week got deleted as a thread as literally no-one was upset..... other than our resident troll Kronosian aka dabigboom) despite recently being banned for 2 weeks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zombie, trap, weapon, pen, raid, PvP, corral, offense, defense, food