Photo

Recon Vs Fighter In Watchtowers

recon fighter watchtower tower

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

John Smith

John Smith
  • 20 posts

I'm thinking about retraining two fighters so I have three recons to fit three towers...but is it worth it? Do recon's higher ranged combat + specialization in long rifle outweigh fighter's health?

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

I'm thinking about retraining two fighters so I have three recons to fit three towers...but is it worth it? Do recon's higher ranged combat + specialization in long rifle outweigh fighter's health?

Different people prefer either option.

Fighters are much tougher in general and can take lots of hits. When time is the limiting factor for a raider, having thick defenders is helpful.

But recons are usually pretty well covered in a tower anyway and they have the best longrifle damage.

I use recons because when you outrange your enemies, health is not all that crucial imo. A recon with a max range M24 while wearing glasses in a well placed tower covers the entire compound grounds while causing extra pain. During a raid both a fighter or a recon will be killed off eventually if the raider is not completely stupid, so imo might as well try and take someone with you with a few unexpectedly powerful shots. Glass cannon, but it works.

But overall it doesn't even matter that much. Fighters for toughness, recons for range+DPS...your choice here, really. IMO its more important who you want to take on missions in the city.

Edited by Sandro_Jern, 20 April 2013 - 04:03 AM.

John Smith

John Smith
  • 20 posts

Different people prefer either option.

Fighters are much tougher in general and can take lots of hits. When time is the limiting factor for a raider, having thick defenders is helpful.

But recons are usually pretty well covered in a tower anyway and they have the best longrifle range/damage.

I use recons because a tower magnifies the range even further, and a recon with a max range M24 while wearing glasses in a well placed tower covers the _entire_ compound grounds. However, recons really are pretty skinny.

During a raid either one will be killed eventually if the raider is not completely stupid, so it doesn't even matter that much. Fighters for toughness, recons for range+DPS...your choice here, really.

Wait recons affect long rifle range? How so? Specialization affects damage and accuracy, and ranged combat doesn't affect range. With the same equipment fighters and recons should have the same range, no?

Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter
  • 168 posts

you could just train your leader to be a good shooter thats what i did. now i have the 2 recons and 1 equivilant to a recon in all three towers. Nut i was thinking the other day, what if i put fighters with LMG;s in the towers instead of the recons, then i put the recons on floor. I supress raiiders with the MG fire then my snipers pick em off..  but the range of MG's is crappy so i vetoed that idea

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

Wait recons affect long rifle range? How so? Specialization affects damage and accuracy, and ranged combat doesn't affect range. With the same equipment fighters and recons should have the same range, no?

Lol sorry, yes, I herped. I have no idea what I said, had one too many beers or something :( ...edited the post to something more meaningful. But yea, I think you know the main points of this already.

Edited by Sandro_Jern, 20 April 2013 - 04:05 AM.

Cytroghost

Cytroghost
  • 144 posts

Recon deal excellent damage with all kinds of rifles, but is really hopeful to be eliminated !

Fighters, high endurance, using Assault rifle with long range is a good way, SCAR-Heavy for instance,... !

But... the best defense... I think... is 10 survivors with Quality M24 & FAL, whatever class they were assigned !

Gray

Gray
  • 331 posts

Other recons can outrange the fighter in the watchtower and pick him off with m24s.

latech2012

latech2012
  • 169 posts

Recon deal excellent damage with all kinds of rifles, but is really hopeful to be eliminated !

Fighters, high endurance, using Assault rifle with long range is a good way, SCAR-Heavy for instance,... !

But... the best defense... I think... is 10 survivors with Quality M24 & FAL, whatever class they were assigned !

agreed

latech2012

latech2012
  • 169 posts

sorry

Edited by latech2012, 23 April 2013 - 02:01 AM.

Ol Gilberts

Ol Gilberts
  • 4 posts

I would choose Recons on the 3 towers, and fighters behind them for some good suppression firing. 

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 545 posts

I tend to use fighters in my towers, since the cover in a tower is generally inferior to that of a barricade. Their extra health compensates for that IMO, and with the current skill implementation, their range is approximately equal with that of a recon, and only slightly less damage using an M24. In either case, my other survivors aren't too far away to support my tower snipers.

As stated above, though, it's all preference. Both fighters and recons work well in towers.

killjoy37

killjoy37
  • 20 posts

I find that in a pvp battle, the recon usually wins because of their ability to dole out high damage at long range.  They are also extremely useful when taking on a base's traps so that you won't be blown sky high when you pass that compound door.  However, the fighter is great for suppression when given a LMG so it is also very useful in defending or attacking.  The fighter is also better equipped to take on zombie hordes on missions than the recon because they can take more punishment at the cost of movement speed (if that is a problem, get some shoes or boots).  It's mostly a player preference, but when in doubt, don't skimp on recons, they are very valuable

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recon, fighter, watchtower, tower