Photo

Suppression Bug

suppression bug

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

TheRyderShotgun

TheRyderShotgun
  • 966 posts

i remember 2 pages(?) before where con said that suppressed survivors cannot be damaged from the front or sides, and that they were supposed to be downed via melee attacks or flanking.

dont know about melee, but the flanking part is what interested me: how are you supposed to flank if you can attack from the sides?

i think this is how barricades should work: when a gunner-survivor is within ooohh...2? 3? range within a barricade, he can directly attack any survivor behind that barricade. think angles. i cant make any pictures and dont know how to upload pictures from the computer anyway, but basically, the closer the survivor is to the barricade, the higher and closer the gun is over the edge of the barricade, enabling the gunner to shoot over the barricade.

also, you should be able to at least partly attack a survivor behind a barricade. eg: say the front of a barricade is 0 degrees and the rear 180, if a suvivor is within 45 degrees, they wont be able to attack the barricaded survivors, once they pass that 45 degrees angle, they can freely attack the survivors as a flank

EDIT: ggrrreeeaatt new page

Edited by TheRyderShotgun, 04 December 2013 - 03:17 AM.

balada

balada
  • 241 posts

Honestly, I don't have a problem with that.   The best raiders should not have a 100% success rate (excluding glitches/crashes) if all the defenders are home imho.

Yes a compound with an interior design should be close to nigh impregnable with all survivors home, at least as far as downing survivors is concerned.   But, a compound so designed leaves just about everything else exposed.   Take the exposed resources and run, or refresh to find an easier target, or yes, use a lot of grenades/charges to take the compound down -- that's what they're there for.   Grenades are not supposed to be minesweepers, which seems to be a popular use for them based on posts in this forum.

There you go, should a m67 have more value during a raid than a good uni LR?
And even then, you'll have 60% (i'm saying this based on my list of valuable war targets) or more complettly/almost unbeateable compounds. There are few that cann't be taken with nades.

Edited by balada, 04 December 2013 - 03:31 AM.

Ayshford

Ayshford
  • 339 posts

There you go, should a m67 have more value during a raid than a good uni LR?
And even then, you'll have 60% (i'm saying this based on my list of valuable war targets) or more complettly/almost unbeateable compounds. There are few that cann't be taken with nades.

Yup. I dont know where this "best raiders should not win 100% of the time" thing comes from. With the current system a well set up defense can not be beaten 100% of the time by the best raiders, not even close. With the possible new invincible suppressed defenders the best defenses would be completely unbeatable.

pyro888

pyro888
  • 65 posts

I'm relatively new to the game and I've been playing it as intended, i.e. using suppression on barriers, flanking, easing suppression to get shooters to pop back up. It's definitely gotten a lot harder doing it this way as I've leveled up.

I'm curious though about this shooting outside effective range method. From what you are all saying it still seems like the best weapons to shoot with are long range ones even though you are shooting outside effective range. I presume that the further outside effective range you are the greater the damage/to hit penalty is applied, is that correct?

Something else I've wondered about is when you shoot a barrier for AOE suppression, does the range of the weapon and distance of the target have an effect (i.e. is the barrier auto hit?), or is it just noise and APS that are factors?

Con

Con
  • 4,248 posts

Seems to me that:

High cover = 80% damage reduction

Medium cover = 60% damage reduction

Low cover =  40% damage reduction

Might be a good balance between the existing situation and how the game was intended to work.

Sure with that, a projectile vest will push it up to 100% resist, but with a projectile vest you're giving up a bonus to range, and with a decent pair of glasses you should be able to out range, supress, and flank like you're supposed to be doing.

The cover reduces chance to hit, not damage.

peteyc20

peteyc20
  • 128 posts

As I get better and better at raiding I find it actually getting harder.

More often I'm finding myself faced with a defender either under suppression while I'm trying to kill him or not responding in any way yet somehow immune to my gunfire even though I'm standing just a few squares away (inside my white effectiveness circle).  Half the time the guy takes no damage even though I'm firing at him for minutes on end.

Some might say...well just go around to the side...or send in a melee guy.  Often times these guys have their back against the compound wall and there is no way to walk up or go to the side.

My only solution is to abandon the raid and go look for someone else.  However, once you do that 3 or 4 times it gets rather frustrating.  Killing guys should be more predictable.  These suppression glitched, making defenders immune depending on when they are reloading etc. are quite annoying.

Also, the keyboard actions can still get our guys "stuck".  I'm not clear how to induce it, but I keep having to press my SPACEBAR when I am stuck on commanding a single guy on my team and unable to switch to another guy.  Glitches like that in the heat of a firefight...uh...again...annoying.

I know you guys work hard to update, add stuff etc. but I hope you get these raiding supression/reaction/commanding behaviors cleaned up soon.

Ayshford

Ayshford
  • 339 posts

The cover reduces chance to hit, not damage.

any suppression updates coming with new content?

zombieman426

zombieman426
  • 531 posts

As I get better and better at raiding I find it actually getting harder.

More often I'm finding myself faced with a defender either under suppression while I'm trying to kill him or not responding in any way yet somehow immune to my gunfire even though I'm standing just a few squares away (inside my white effectiveness circle). Half the time the guy takes no damage even though I'm firing at him for minutes on end.

Some might say...well just go around to the side...or send in a melee guy. Often times these guys have their back against the compound wall and there is no way to walk up or go to the side.

My only solution is to abandon the raid and go look for someone else. However, once you do that 3 or 4 times it gets rather frustrating. Killing guys should be more predictable. These suppression glitched, making defenders immune depending on when they are reloading etc. are quite annoying.

Also, the keyboard actions can still get our guys "stuck". I'm not clear how to induce it, but I keep having to press my SPACEBAR when I am stuck on commanding a single guy on my team and unable to switch to another guy. Glitches like that in the heat of a firefight...uh...again...annoying.

I know you guys work hard to update, add stuff etc. but I hope you get these raiding supression/reaction/commanding behaviors cleaned up soon.

I only find the inviciblilty happening with the m24. If you walk up to the defender with an SVD/ fal they get ripped apart in seconds, from the front. Give it a go.

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

I only find the inviciblilty happening with the m24. If you walk up to the defender with an SVD/ fal they get ripped apart in seconds, from the front. Give it a go.

I too have found there to be a difference with the weapons that you have mentioned as well as a sportshot.

DJfriede

DJfriede
  • 888 posts

Might be only a matter of perception though. If 1 in 10 shots hit it will take the m24 10 seconds (worst case) and a high aps svd less than 2 seconds. But yeah, it's generally unpredictable if changing the shooting angle will make the defender become hittable again.

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

I'm bumping this topic. I'm just wondering whether the suppression will ever get 'fixed'/changed. The reason I bring this up again is the new long rifle, the M107. I'm raiding many lvl 50 inside defenses atm and they often use the M107. Since it has a very short shooting duration and a long reload time (compared to the shooting duration), they frequently get invincible (supressed while reloading). There are certain ways to counter this, but they often take time and are risky.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts

Hopefully it will get changed.

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

Or is it at least possible to make the suppression ring visible again before a defender is fully suppressed ? Right now I just have to guess how far suppressed the defender already is. If I could see how far the defender is suppressed, then I can suppress him at the right moment (= when he's not reloading).

So to be clear, right now we see when the suppression is fading, but not when it's rising.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts

So to be clear, right now we see when the suppression is fading, but not when it's rising.

Are you sure? I can sometimes see it rising.

NightEagle

NightEagle
  • 298 posts

Are you sure? I can sometimes see it rising.

You can see it rising if you start building suppression before the suppression is completely gone

To be even more clear:

1) I start shooting at a defender : no supression visible

2) Defender is suppressed: suppression visible

3) My attacker reloads: Suppression is visible and fading

4a) My attacker starts firing again before the suppression is gone: suppression is visible and starts to get full again

4b) My attacker starts firing again with suppression completely gone: no suppression visible until defender is completely suppressed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suppression, bug