6 Downed

downed best defense weapons

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

I'm level 8 and my raider was level 7.

The report shows nothing destroyed. all buildings looted. 1 trap set off and 2 traps disarmed. (my traps are wire traps as I have no explosives yet)

My best range is one at 14, two at 13, one at 12, an 8 and a 7. these are the best i have.

my field of fire is:

field_of_fire.jpg

i know i need two to three times the range. i am farming all i can but what is equipped is the best i have at the moment.

i have no idea what trap was sprung since it's just a tangle of barbed wire in a frame dropped into a covered pit. the raider set one off and found and disabled two others. his haul was ammo, food and water. i keep my other three resources near empty to zero as i can manage only recycling what i need to fill the bill for any build or upgrade leaving everything as junk that gives me cloth, wood or iron.

what is the recommended move at this point for me to improve my defenses? (man i wished we had some kind of replay to watch but i know, to stave off the comments, the server space to keep that info would be huge. still... it'd be nice!)

thanks in advance!

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

I'm level 8 and my raider was level 7.

The report shows nothing destroyed. all buildings looted. 1 trap set off and 2 traps disarmed. (my traps are wire traps as I have no explosives yet)

My best range is one at 14, two at 13, one at 12, an 8 and a 7. these are the best i have.

my field of fire is:

field_of_fire.jpg

i know i need two to three times the range. i am farming all i can but what is equipped is the best i have at the moment.

i have no idea what trap was sprung since it's just a tangle of barbed wire in a frame dropped into a covered pit. the raider set one off and found and disabled two others. his haul was ammo, food and water. i keep my other three resources near empty to zero as i can manage only recycling what i need to fill the bill for any build or upgrade leaving everything as junk that gives me cloth, wood or iron.

what is the recommended move at this point for me to improve my defenses? (man i wished we had some kind of replay to watch but i know, to stave off the comments, the server space to keep that info would be huge. still... it'd be nice!)

thanks in advance!

One main thing is that it is very hard to have a successful defense against someone that knows how to raid at that level. Just about no matter how you set the defense up, it can be easily beaten at that level due to a number of factors. There are a few things that you can do to improve the overall defense though.. If you are still playing on Kong as well as AG then seek me out on Kong and I will tell you several things to do to that.

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

One main thing is that it is very hard to have a successful defense against someone that knows how to raid at that level. Just about no matter how you set the defense up, it can be easily beaten at that level due to a number of factors. There are a few things that you can do to improve the overall defense though.. If you are still playing on Kong as well as AG then seek me out on Kong and I will tell you several things to do to that.

I am still poking around on kong. think i'm 14 there?

but you're right, in know it and even addressed your very comment in another thread about the kong setup where i have towers and range out to 28 i think it was. my thought is he came in through the building and i would say got me through the door way. i'd hoped the traps inside would have done enough to him to slow him down. then he was able to take all 6 of mine down and none of his. i am thinking he may have some range on me. LOS and range are the co-kings of this. if he is experienced he could be what some call a twink. playing with gear they shouldn't be able to get unless it was handed to them. i can't do anything about that. what i can work toward is making it as hard as i can for them, delay them as long as i can and deny them all the resources i can. till i get my own big guns! lol

i moved things around to see if i can prevent the raiders coming to my place to hang out on a vacation!!! lol

layout_002.jpg

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

For the past how ever many hours I had protection since he downed all of my survivors. I did try to look for better weapons and found one additional shotgun. I loaded up and went to his compound.

End result is we downed 1 each. It took all I could do to get that one but knowing I had to sacrifice at least one to do it. Only reason I had to try to down his survivors was due to his range. If I had to guess he had 6 units range on me. I was able to get all mine on one of his by having them just out of his range and then rapidly click through and order to attack. while that was going on he had my target as well as a second survivor on me. again it took all 5 of my attackers several shots to down that one. In a couple shots my first fell and just by a stroke of luck I was able to rapid select and back the other four out of range with two of my 4 remaining very low on health. I'd say he has some very superior fire power. unless i can get grenades or rifle upgrades, with the weapons i have, i will lose every time. but grenades mean levels and better weapons. now i'm hung out for 40 minutes return.

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

update if anyone is interested: I have gotten a hunters compact that has given me a lot more range than what I had. So i loaded up and went to visit this same player just now.

he is modifying his defenses. My insertion was as far away from where he was stationed at since i had no clue what kinds of ranges he had. Good thing i did. he is able to cover 80% of the west side reaching about 50% to the center line or just past it. Discovered this as I crept up. Once finding his range I lined up and did some rapid shift click tabs going purely for suppression on the 'cades his two groups of two were behind. his other two were inside the compound with the doors shut. I was glad for that. I did get suppression and was able to run the medic in to heal my first suppressor that that took the brunt of it. He had just a hair of red showing! lol I know I shouldn't laugh at my survivors sacrifice for me. once healed he began suppressing again and i ran my engineer with meele in and started tearing at a 'cade for access. that was taking too long so i pulled a gun in and flanked from the side finally taking the four down. I completed that much with about 20 seconds to spare. So no loot. I gave him protection! and now that i rolled into L10 he may bounty me. If that happens I'll start parking my leader out on the corner at a rally flag and get it over with! rofl and cost him his 10 fuel!!! lol

at any rate it was fun especially seeing as how he is shifting and dancing to counter me and no telling maybe others are raiding him but the fact that I was able to take four of his survivors down whereas when he rolled on me he was able to take all mine down. I call this a great improvement. Still running for weapons. It's a shame I couldn't have looted weapons off his fallen. and yeah i have read all about the moving loot conversation.

The Architect

The Architect
  • 2,995 posts

field_of_fire.jpg

Probably canned grenades... http://tlaststand.wi...enades_(TLS:DZ)

It's readily crafted at Lv5, as well as it has 15 throw range, with a 2 effective range that possibly could effectively damage at ranges of 16 - 17. Furthermore, seeing the flag and number of your circles, the survivors are clumped up which makes them easier to be taken down with grenades.

There is also the possibility of utilizing smoke bombs; http://tlaststand.wi...i/Smoke_Grenade which is also available at Lv5, and has the same 15 throw range, in which they could have used as smokescreen to kill your survivors from behind.

Also, you have a massive hole in your back; the one with the water collector in which they can throw the grenades from.

My suggestion is to pillowfort; get your insides cleaned from junk and then put barricades on the 4 corners of your warehouse as close to the corner as possible, and then just put all the lootables in the middle. Divide your forces; always one survivor for barricade, and then not all eggs in one basket, but not one basket for each.

While inside, range is barely an issue so you might want to resort to High DPS weapon instead of longer range weapon. While it is possible to go around the doors and have good angles to pick them off, but then it is not entirely effective when everyone else is in cover. Raiders cannot use long rifles to effectively kill people behind barricades, they use suppression to allow the barricade to be overthrown; by being destroyed in having a chance to throw a grenade or two or attack the defending survivor from behind.

Edited by The Architect, 04 December 2013 - 07:09 AM.

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

Probably canned grenades... http://tlaststand.wi...enades_(TLS:DZ)

Thank you. I've never played with grenades and had no idea they were available that early or had that range.

I'be since changed my defenses several times adjusting as i get new weapons. I did confirm last night this attacker has a far superior range than I do on all his survivors. I had my main survivor selected with the longest range and inched him forward. He was further than the length of a long barricade away from the range of his weapon when they started firing on him. So they have at least a 4 to 6 range on me. The fact that he has weapons that much superior points to him having weapons traded to him. I have been farming every weapon location non stop and just have come up with the one hunters compact just a day ago. it would be difficult for me to think this player got so luck as to scavenge 4 or 6  weapons with almost 30 range level 8.

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

it would be difficult for me to think this player got so luck as to scavenge 4 or 6  weapons with almost 30 range level 8.

are you using glasses on yours? Throw a high range set of glasses on a range boost weapon and you will hit that range as well

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

are you using glasses on yours? Throw a high range set of glasses on a range boost weapon and you will hit that range as well

yes at the moment all my survivors have glasses equipped when on defense, even my medic. My best unaided range is 22.66 with an extended hunters compact I was very happy to get. my best glasses till tonight have been 5.79% and that gave me 23.79.

Last night when I rolled on the same person that came in two or three nights ago and downed all 6 I was easily creeping up to probably over the length of a large barricade beyond my range circle when all four of his defenders that were outside his compound began firing on me. That tells me he had at least a 28 to 30 reach. Again hard for me to believe at level 8 and 9 he was able to scavenge that many of those kinds of weapons with that kind of range.

Something I need to know is with glasses a 24 to 26 range would do the same. I need to go look in the wikia to see if weapons with ranges are in there to see what level starts giving 24 to 26 range weapons.

But... tonight is a different story! I now have been running everywhere for weapons as soon as the timer resets. I now have 3 or 4 compacts and one of them unique! That I can tell you gives me a more comfortable feeling that my survivors aren't so toothless anymore at range. But we'll wait and see how my next couple raids go both inbound and outbound.

but thanks for the comment and observation!

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

update: much improved but my excitement got the best of me.

I rolled on this same guy again. I just made 11th level and he's been 11th for two days now. His range was still greater than mine by about 2 or 3 units by my best guestimate. Do the defenders start firing before the range is met? But I was able to take his 4 outside survivors out much faster than last time. I was able to loot his goods complete on the outside but of course at this stage what i need most is cloth. that was inside! imagine that! lol He has doors and i was just able to upgrade to get grenades. As I approached the buildings south wall from the south west corner both of his inside survivors was able to fire upon me through the wall. I could not target his but he could target mine. Not sure if that is a bug. see this image.

fire_through_wall.jpg

my survivors rolled up to the construction yard with the blue circle when they started taking fire from both the red and the green circles. I can understand the green circle firing through the door but not the red circle.

once I took the door down i was able to target and finish downing the blue circled survivor. the red circle was still firing on me.

anyway where i messed up was i let the timer expire. i simply got to excited about how well the raid was rolling. Now one of my survivors had remained standing in the green area. the message 4 of mine went down and i lost all my goods. is that supposed to happen with at least one survivor walking out? or is it too many downed so you can't haul it out? makes sense. but many things don't so just wondering about that.

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

update: logged in to find a compound raid notice waiting on me. it was the same player that started this for me. it was a different outcome this time. he ended with three downed and zero loot and i ended with no survivors downed. maybe the tide has changed concerning this guy being able to come in, down all my survivors and then get all my goods. by him doing that he caused his protection timer to drop. unless someone else has attacked and given him protection. putting my raid face on and going to see. and that's how i roll!

oldgamster

oldgamster
  • 1,018 posts

lol now i have a bounty on my head. but he also lost his protection again. tsk tsk tsk. anyways see if someone like eating small fries for lunch! lol i'm going to take a nap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: downed, best, defense, weapons