Accuracy

gun distance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

chankim

chankim
  • 326 posts

Just had this thought when I was running manual missions:

Is it even possible to miss that much at point-blank range?

So I thought it might be a good idea to set the accuracy to increase inversely proportional to the distance: the closer you are, the more accurate you are. Make sense, right?

I have some ideas about how this could be done.

you have a certain distance (about half to one third of total range) call this 'critical distance'

between the range and the critical distance, the accuracy is constant

as the target passes the critical distance, the accuracy starts to increase

at point blank range, the accuracy for shotgun/pistol/smg goes to 99%

Assault Rifles and LMGs lose a little accuracy when the target is too close: if the target gets too close, it is hard to manipulate the gun to hit the target as the gun is long and bulky.

As in Con's Long Rifle ideas, the accuracy of Long Rifles decreases enormously as the target gets closer. (Anyone who has played FPS or TPS will know how difficult it is to accurately hit a close-range target with a Rifle)

I thought maybe we could lower the overall accuracy (the accuracy between the critical point and the range) so we could balance the whole thing...the DPS calculations might get more complicated, but still think this should be added.

Lord Kronosian

Lord Kronosian
  • 1,119 posts
Why not just implement a. Point blank range of 4 or 5 on all weapons. BTW I posted this idea 2 times both times shot down by haters and flamers

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

Why not just implement a. Point blank range of 4 or 5 on all weapons. BTW I posted this idea 2 times both times shot down by haters and flamers

http://forum.conarti...implementation/

'Shot down by flamers and haters' you say, I see none here.

___

While hit chance at close range is always a problem for low levels, I do agree that it requires a complete overhaul.

ligoccogil

ligoccogil
  • 289 posts

Complete overhaul.... aka doing work.

I hate hearing that... cause yeah it may require a complete overhaul but A LOT of stuff in this game requires a complete overhaul. Which is why ideas that "require complete overhaul" are the best ideas because they can be considered while the game is being overhauled...... Had the game creators thought ahead they would have left the ability to adapt and expand the game WITHOUT an overhaul. So it's quite possible depending on how the game was coded that they left the ability to do stuff with out overhauls. But i cant see the code so who knows :) Biggest problem is overhauling the mindsets of the players who don't like change.

Anyway back to the idea.........

Doesn't it kind of work that way anyway in such that there's an effective range but they still shoot stuff outside that bubble? 

Not quite sure i agree that it's harder to aim an SMG the closer they get thou..... it's no harder to move the gun to hit a target 1000 feet away as it is 10 feet away.

Although logically it all makes sense... just like a shotgun will lose damage the further out you get and get a big bonus the closer you get...

But yeah it requires work.... next suggestion try something simpler like turning off christmas loot drops.

Edit: Oh, but the closer the target is to you the more nervous unskilled shooters would get and they would take less time to aim and longer times to reload.. but that's all pyschological really

Edited by ligoccogil, 09 January 2014 - 07:59 PM.

ligoccogil

ligoccogil
  • 289 posts

http://forum.conarti...implementation/

'Shot down by flamers and haters' you say, I see none here.

___

While hit chance at close range is always a problem for low levels, I do agree that it requires a complete overhaul.

Ha i see a hater in the very first post... a dumb one to that cited a source that wasn't even kronos but someone who gets confused for him because they think the same :) Which is why you shouldn't discredit people based on personal views.

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

I hate hearing that... cause yeah it may require a complete overhaul but A LOT of stuff in this game requires a complete overhaul. Which is why ideas that "require complete overhaul" are the best ideas because they can be considered while the game is being overhauled...... Had the game creators thought ahead they would have left the ability to adapt and expand the game WITHOUT an overhaul. So it's quite possible depending on how the game was coded that they left the ability to do stuff with out overhauls. But i cant see the code so who knows :) Biggest problem is overhauling the mindsets of the players who don't like change.

Seeing as you haven't been here long, you will be completely oblivious to some of the largest, game changed updates that some us have seen and adapted to including;

Ammo as a resource

Melee update

Injury update (different versions)

Barriers being able to connect (thats right, it used to be that players couldn't join barricades together)

Invalid building placement

Please don't use your own ignorance to assume everyone else would kick up a fuss.

Doesn't it kind of work that way anyway in such that there's an effective range but they still shoot stuff outside that bubble? 

Only when a survivor is told by the player to aim at something outside of the effective weapon range. Another change many of us have played through and adapted to.

Please, if you don't know the changes that have happened don't feel you can comment when there are plenty of others who know what has happened, adapted to the change and still play. Arrogance of that magnitude is not your friend

EDIT: Seeing as I am the alleged "Hater" in the link given, can you point out what parts of that reply were unreasonable?

Edited by LLiquid, 09 January 2014 - 11:54 PM.

chankim

chankim
  • 326 posts

Con is already planning to overhaul the accuracy for Long Rifles...why not tweak other gun accuracies while he's at it?

EDIT: Seeing as I am the alleged "Hater" in the link given, can you point out what parts of that reply were unreasonable?

I think he's trying to point out that the idea that you linked in Krono's idea was made by the architect, and not Krono...think you might have posted a wrong link there.

ligoccogil

ligoccogil
  • 289 posts

Seeing as you haven't been here long, you will be completely oblivious to some of the largest, game changed updates that some us have seen and adapted to including;

... You do know what Beta means right :) It's kind of expected that changes will be made with out notice and a lot of them

as for the hater portion of your post

It's because you had nothing of importance to put into the conversation you only posted pretty much to call kronos out on him saying something totally oppisite. Even thou it turned out not even to be him. But the point is does it matter if it was the oppisite of his other suggestion? Maybe he changed his mind. And much like the guidelines for the fourms say "Critique the idea, not the user"... So it doesn't matter what he said before.

and when kronos corrected you your reply was

"Fair point, I saw and replied to a "silly" idea (in my opinion) and assumed it was you based on your previous history."

You're reply was just "it would require constant calculations"... that's worthy of a no shit sherlock meme

Edited by ligoccogil, 12 January 2014 - 08:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gun, distance