Photo

What Are The Scarcest Components For You?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 545 posts

There's some common trends that I tend to see regarding component shortages - namely, copper wire doesn't drop often enough.

Kidding.

That out of the way, here's what I've seen so far:

Early/midgame:

Lots of people seem to feel a squeeze from upgrading a lot of their compound structures - the most common resources I see people complaining about are nails and car batteries. This is usually alleviated around the time people start expanding into the warehouse-rich areas of the game, and become almost negligible by the time you get access to the docks.

Endgame:

Weapon/gear benches require treated wood and hardened metal as components. Hardened metal isn't too hard to come by, but it's a tad uncommon - only certain items of certain quality can give it. Hardened wood, however, is substantially more difficult for one reason alone - most end game items can't salvage it as a resource when recycled, meaning you have to run earlier areas of the game repeatedly.

On a personal note, my personal bane has been rope. It took me FOREVER to get enough to upgrade one of my water towers to max, and I'm still at 10/15 for the other's final level. I lost track of the number of warehouse missions I've run.

How have your experiences been?

Arthur_Bishop

Arthur_Bishop
  • 227 posts

I can say that, as a matter of fact, I was one of the many who blasted through Stadium and ended up with barely enough treated wood to upgrade his weapons bench to level 10. That was a rather fun week of scavenging around.

Other than that, I vaguely remember wood in general was hard to come by for me. I was always lagging behind in upgrades because wood never seemed to drop for me, even during warehouse runs. Other things I always seemed to be low on, even now, are wire, bolts, and rope.

But now that I'm pretty much done with every structure for now, hopefully I'll have some time to load up on materials so that I'm ready for the next building to come out, especially since I barely got the fuel generator up to max level.

True Evil

True Evil
  • 871 posts

Yeah I had mostly the same issues as the OP except that I was nearly always short on cloth. The cloth resource achievements took twice as long to do compared to the other ones.

julihei

julihei
  • 22 posts

I find cloth and wire is always hard to find for me. 

MaxSheen

MaxSheen
  • 2,649 posts

Wood is really hard to get sometimes

Danheinl

Danheinl
  • 13 posts

treated wood is for me the scarcest by far. I have no problem with hardend metal and cloth.

matteofumagalli

matteofumagalli
  • 213 posts

for me the scarcest are treated wood( i spend a week in stadium for that) and rope above all, sometimes i have few bolts and nails but that is not really a problem

LLiquid

LLiquid
  • 2,533 posts

Shoelaces. I think I have found 3 of them since starting the game (I am now level 36 ish) Beyond that, rope can be a tricky one at times.

On the other hand, wire, copper wire, rivets, bolts and nails I have coming out of my ears now. There seem to be very few junk items that break down into wood or cloth compared to metal

Danheinl

Danheinl
  • 13 posts

Where you even find rope? is there a specific location or thing you need to recycle?

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 545 posts

Where you even find rope? is there a specific location or thing you need to recycle?

As far as I know, nothing yields rope when recycled.

It is a random drop in crates and junk containers - hence why warehouses and secondarily hardware stores are the best bets.

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

If I remember correctly...

First cloth gave me fits, until about level 10 or so (when i got access to Northwood -- and the warehouses there)

After cloth stopped being a "critical" issue, it was nails for awile.

Dont' think nails ever stopped (completely) being an issue until everything was upgraded, but they were dwarfed by wood after level 12 or so.  I remember maxing out metal and occasionally cloth when I was doing missions in the docks to get wood.

I remember a minor issue with bolts, but that might of been because I built all/most of the ding-dong bombs at once

After that, the only issue was with Treated Wood, for the level 10-11 weapons benches

Rain08

Rain08
  • 1,370 posts

If I can remember sole, rope, weave and shoe laces, currently have only 3 laces laying around, rope around 40, weave and sole, I can't remember. But everything is upgraded now, so don't need the rope. During the mass vest flooding where tons of vests can be scavenged, I had more than 4k of Hardened metal and 900~1000 Heavy Fabric so those aren't the problems. Bolts a bit little, around 400~500 but ain't a problem.

Edited by Rain08, 11 April 2013 - 06:17 AM.

Kuronishen

Kuronishen
  • 545 posts

If I can remember sole, rope, weave and shoe laces, currently have only 3 laces laying around, rope around 40, weave and sole, I can't remember. But everything is upgraded now, so don't need the rope. During the mass vest flooding where tons of vests can be scavenged, I had more than 4k of Hardened metal and 900~1000 Heavy Fabric so those aren't the problems. Bolts a bit little, around 400~500 but ain't a problem.

Last I checked that flooding never stopped. I've recycled more vests than I can count.

RRJA

RRJA
  • 6 posts

The SHOELACE ! !

Sandro_Jern

Sandro_Jern
  • 778 posts

The SHOELACE ! !

heh, yup...shoelace, rope and treated wood

(the latter goes for uniques in large amounts by the way O.o)

matilla

matilla
  • 16 posts

For me it usually is Bolts for traps

As for Treated wood, when I was in stadium I usually broke down the treated wood for building material.

Later on, to regain them missing part for the bench-upgrade I went on a daily scavenging spree on 9-15 areas, damn near took me a week to finally build it. But the sword & bulldog is definitely worth the hassle.

Nicol_Djaghilev

Nicol_Djaghilev
  • 569 posts

At high enough levels, you'll never be low on anything except treated wood, which will become the BANE OF YOUR EXISTANCE.

ZOROSE

ZOROSE
  • 11 posts

treated wood was a serious pain also bolts but everything fully upgraded so.. I await new buildings and levels with sheer delight on my face lol :D bring it on!  woop woop 

mitak

mitak
  • 44 posts

Today noticed that at lvl 46 i have only 12 shoelaces. It seems like it's one of the rarest components for me. Also, when i often scavenge resources to recharge the fuel generator, wood is always the slowest one to come to my storages.

James_C_Grayson

James_C_Grayson
  • 237 posts

Shoelaces are, by far; The scarcest component for me.

Only found one.