Photo

Ding Dong Nerf

Ding Dong Nerf

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Cipher

Cipher
  • 13 posts

So maybe this is me being a whiner, and I'm sure many are gonna say "Slap on a high explosive resistance body armor and stop crying", but the fact is, that's simply not possible for many players, myself included.  I raided a compound for a bounty no less than 3 minutes ago, everything was great; I got the FUEL generator, the defenders were down, and all in good time.  Any traps that were a danger to my line of attack were taken out or side stepped.  I was keen on regrouping my survivors though, so I tried to get my recon who stayed behind from a previous firefight to come on back to group, and then, that dreaded noise.  A level 3 ding dong.  As a recon, one would think their blistering speed would simply let them run away from the lethal blast radius, but this simply wasn't the case.  From more than 6 units away, at least, the ding dong incurred 283 damage, and naturally, killed my recon instantly; that lethal zone is absolutely ridiculous, and couple that with the fact that recons simply can't always spot traps 100% of the time, we're locked into having to take armor every run, with little to no room for variety in our load outs, in fear of being wiped out by a single trap.  I propose a simple change to the way these IEDs work.  Damage from traps, or at least, ding dongs, should be diminished as you go farther and farther away from the trap.  From within a few units or so, the trap should be lethal, but any farther than that, it should be decreased depending on the distance from the trap.  I don't know the blast range of a ding dong level 3, but surely, it's too damn high, and too damn lethal.  Maybe it's a lesson to be learned, I'm not the best raider, I'll admit, but for something to kill you that far away and with a chance to not be detected?  Again, my intention isn't to whine, but I do think it's something that can possibly be looked at. 

TL;DR: Explosive traps have a stupidly large kill zone if you've got no armor, and a nerf should be considered; yes, I'm bad.   

MagBlaster

MagBlaster
  • 246 posts

It's kind of your fault for even running over it in the first place. The blast radius is at about 5 blast radius, which is about the same blast radius and damage as a m67. Why didn't your engineer just disarm the trap? You do know you can disarm traps using grenades at the lowest lv. Yeah this is you whining. I may use armor, but only so I can deal with LR teams. My armor has little to no explosive resistance. The recon not spotting a trap is a bug and should be fixed easily. Next time, take the route you originally took.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts

Short answer- Never gonna happen, also what "That Guy" said.

balada

balada
  • 241 posts

I have never been able to run off the blast radius, i think the survivor who triggered it will always get full damage. The only way i manage to avoid a ding dong was triggering and hidding behind a compound wall before the blast.

As for the idea of they not being lethal, don't know pal. They were placed there to stop raiders, i know it's very frustrating when you loose a raid because of traps, but it's their purpose, right?! If they do not kill, your survivor will be fully healed in less than 2 seconds.

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

I don't think that any of the traps should incur any sort of nerf at all. They should be powerful enough to take down anyone except a fighter with an explosive vest on. The only problem that I have with traps is the poor spotting ability but that's an argument for a different thread. 

tangytoby

tangytoby
  • 668 posts

I think the wheel of misfortune should be nerfed, its really overpowered and has has a huge kill radius combined with the fact it takes 2 grenades to disarm.

MagBlaster

MagBlaster
  • 246 posts

I think the wheel of misfortune should be nerfed, its really overpowered and has has a huge kill radius combined with the fact it takes 2 grenades to disarm.

really? Slap on some armor or get suppressed and the trap does little to nothing. Or just run behind cover to lower the damage. Lv 1 is almost useless as it only lasts a second. Lv 2 may kill, and Lv 3 may also kill unless you have armor on or are suppressed

Cybertraxx

Cybertraxx
  • 266 posts

Actually if anything traps need to be buffed to do more damage, With nice armor just about any trap is non-lethal at level 50.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts

Actually if anything traps need to be buffed to do more damage, With nice armor just about any trap is non-lethal at level 50.

With good placement, it could defeat other players.

dumbjock123

dumbjock123
  • 929 posts

I would say the opposite.  Traps are designed to be lethal.  The problem is traps that don't scale with level.  A level 50 can walk over the same trap that would kill a level 20 even without armor.  I would like to see traps matter to high level players as much as they matter to me.  Perhaps scale trap damage with defender level. 

Hezm

Hezm
  • 432 posts

Dingdongs seem to cause little less damage further you manage to run, they always knock survivor who triggered them down.

Sometimes if i have enough time at the end of raid i may trip some traps for fun, if i trigger dingdong by barely stepping to triggerzone and run like hell after it even recon can survive it. ( my recons use purple max craft armor)

Good way to get less damage from WOM is to hide behind the barricades or storage units, they get suppressed and so they get less damage.

I'm not sure about that dingdongs blast radius but scatterbomb can knock survivors down from side doorway if survivors are standing next to middle doorway. So it's defeinitely more than 5-6 squares, more like 15 squares.

Only thing that pisses me about traps is that scatterbobmbs trigger sometimes through the compound wall causing damage.

MagBlaster

MagBlaster
  • 246 posts

*runs over ding dong trap, gets blasted and flies a few feet away but survives. Lands right in wire trap and sets off another ding dong xD .... I died

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts
Why is this being necroed?

Minecraft

Minecraft
  • 24 posts

I would say the opposite.  Traps are designed to be lethal.  The problem is traps that don't scale with level.  A level 50 can walk over the same trap that would kill a level 20 even without armor.  I would like to see traps matter to high level players as much as they matter to me.  Perhaps scale trap damage with defender level. 

I agree the higher the level more HP (plus OP vest that reduce damage from explosives) thus traps should also increase in damage... maybe there be more traps in the future. I'm pretty sure that there will be more content coming in for lvl 30 and above.

Sky_Fall

Sky_Fall
  • 1,222 posts

I have one question though... Can a recon spot a high level trap? because the last time i checked i let my recon guy stand still for a while and after running 1 meter some high level ding dong exploded right in front of him... someone explain this to me?

Hezm

Hezm
  • 432 posts

Yup, recons can detect any trap. There's less chance for detecting if they are behind barricades or storage units. If recon doesn't spot some trap it doesn't matter if you run away and come back, it stays undetected for the rest of the raid (unless you trigger it) You can increase chance of trap spotting by equipping Survivor Psychology book before you go raiding.

As far i know trap level doesn't make it harder to spot, you were just unlucky. Recons can fail to spot trap in the middle of open too.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts
Guys.... Seriously?

Hezm

Hezm
  • 432 posts

Dallas what's your problem?

There are lots of threads that goes on because there are useful information for players even all replies doesn't have anything to do with OP.

As you might see that latest replies doesn't have much to do with nerfing dingdongs, yet there is discussion about traps and spotting them. Someobne might find it useful.

edit: And if devs happen to read this thread they can see what players are thinking about traps and their wishes, who knows if they add some later..

Edited by Hezm, 09 April 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ding Dong, Nerf