Photo

Just Took My White Flag Down... Am I Ready?

raiding white flag layout tips pvp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DeusAderit

DeusAderit
  • 25 posts

Please share your thoughts; thank you for your time!

Okay, so I reached Level 30 and spent about four hours reading posts about PvP raiding.  Here's what I think I've learned; it's probably not all correct, which is why I'm posting.  I appreciate your insight if you can help me to understand how to get started with this aspect of TLS:DZ.

1) Range and LOS are everything.  Long Rifles (LR's) and Glasses are key.  Mix in some suppression (LMG's, AR's with the right ammo) in the spots where they're likely to rush you and try to get in close.

2) Clump your towers, but keep them away from the walls of your compound where they can be attacked by grenades from inside.

3) Wire and wood barriers can be taken down very quickly, even at max level.  Count on them to slow the enemy down.  The advantage is that these barriers do not provide cover to your enemies, whereas the more sturdy barricades do.  Therefore, be careful where you place your barricades to avoid giving the raiders an advantage.

4) Protect your resources in this order: fuel, ammo, food/water, cloth, wood, metal.  Make sure you only protect the full storage containers; use the empty ones as decoys.

5) If you spread your defenses too thinly, your survivors can be distracted and assassinated one by one.  It seems to me it's better to protect two doors with towers just slightly away from one corner of the building, and trap the third like you're the lead in Home Alone.

6) Pillow forts or turtling inside the building is hardest to break, but leaves you the least able to protect your resources and other structures.  This involves placing the defenders in the corners, so anyone who enters is shot before they can find cover.

7) Don't provide the raiders with cover.  Pay attention to what is moderate cover, low cover, etc; place these buildings in spots where they cannot be used against you, if the raiders post up behind it.  Alternatively, set up obvious spots for cover, then plant traps all over them (although experienced raiders will disarm the traps and then use the cover, so maybe this is not a good idea).

My first set-up (and I will post a picture of it, if anyone's interested), I am trying something which I have not yet heard described on this forum.

Imagine, if you will (lol), three towers clustered at the east corner, and four small barricades in the center (not the corners) of the building.

Three recons with LR's in the towers, fighters with AR's and LMG's slightly away from them (because I heard survivors below towers are suppressed along with the tower if they are too close).  All six defending the east corner, where the most precious stuff is guarded.

The four weaker fighters ( 2 scavengers, a medic and an engineer) are each positioned in the middle of the building, in the ring of small barricades, all equipped with LR's.  The important structures that don't fit outside are in the southeast corner, inside the building.

Almost all of my traps are placed around the backdoor (the west entrance).  There's no cover to keep all four from shooting at you if you enter, and the rest of my traps are inside the building between them and the raiders.  Maybe you can disarm them as you're being shot at; I wouldn't want to try it.

So, all three entrances are covered, right?  I feel like I'm missing something... probably something to do with grenades and how they can be used...

Anyway, does it sound like I have the general principles down?  Will I survive my first raid?  If you have been playing for a while, have established a good defense that has survived raids from some good players, and care enough to offer some help, I'll gladly post pictures so you can point out the weaknesses.  I'm posting under a different name than my username, so I'm not worried you'll single out my compound and raid it before I've figured out its flaws (lol).

Thanks again for your time; have a great day!

DeusAderit

Alamat

Alamat
  • 155 posts

Sure, you can post pictures, man. Lots of people here will help you out.

As for your questions, you can answer them after you have your successful and unsuccessful raids and after your compound is raided. =)

Sky_Fall

Sky_Fall
  • 1,222 posts

Make sure you're overpowered with as much as M24s as you can muster and with glasses of course....

justinsr316

justinsr316
  • 854 posts

Make sure you're overpowered with as much as M24s as you can muster and with glasses of course....

An all m24 defense is actually a very easy defense. 

Sky_Fall

Sky_Fall
  • 1,222 posts

An all m24 defense is actually a very easy defense. 

Really? How so?

Hezm

Hezm
  • 434 posts

1: Yes and no. Very long range was key for a moment but new changes will probably change that back. Nobody but devs can know what will work with new PvP system.

LMG's and AR's were good to have in old system and since new system will be mix of old and new they will most likely be useful again.

2: With the recent PvP system tower clusters were very tough to break. For the fragging through walls you have found old data, it was fixed so don't worry about it. As i said i can't tell about upcoming system. With the old system clustered towers were good only against those who didn't know right tactics and since new system will be mixed old/new they will probably become ineffective again.

3: Yes, giving cover for attacker should be taken in count at all times. Don't forget that storage buildings give yellow cover so they can be used against you too.

4: You should protect those resources most you find most valuable for yourself at the moment. I'm going for fuel/ banner first, then ammo and then rest. Food and water are important if you mind about survivor happiness.

5: Traps should be placed where attackers will most likely be when attacking, after defenders downed traps doesn't matter that much. Generally traps are more for slowing down attack than actually killing. (at least against most experienced raiders) Time is always crucial for attackers

6: Pillow forts can be hard to break but they can be beaten with less men on team than other types. Pillow fort users doesn't usually care about their resources. They just go for banner or fuel generator

7: You couldn't said it better. See also my answer to #3

I didn't bother to read the description about your layout, one picture tells more than thousand words so i'd have see it.

Anyways even you'd spend thousand hours reading forums and chatting online you can never have as good setup as if you plan it by basing it to your own experience from raids. Then you can really know what works and what doesn't. So my tip would be that go harrass some neighbors, more you do it more you learn and better defence you get.

I'll probably edit this after next PvP update..

Edited by Hezm, 15 April 2014 - 01:24 PM.

DeusAderit

DeusAderit
  • 25 posts

Well said, Hezm.  Thanks again for the help.  I took your advice, and you were definitely right - I learnt so much from my experiences raiding other compounds that I was able to improve my own defense significantly.

I also started upgrading the glasses i was using, and trading for m24's, so ty2, Sky; your advice worked well for both raiding and defense.

Great community here.  I appreciate it!

Best,

DeusAderit

Edited by DeusAderit, 16 June 2014 - 01:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raiding, white flag, layout, tips, pvp