Photo

Physical White Flag

Raids White flag

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Idiotlee

Idiotlee
  • 95 posts

I've been playing and noticing in the chat log that people of lower lvls that are always envying someone's WF book. i propose there

should be an actual white flag people can build out of normal resources. this does not stop raiding but rather if someone tries to raid them it drops the raiders morale or does something to discourage raiding. if this is build it also disables the ability to raid unless taken down by the builder. this is probably a bad idea or a poor one but i might as-well try and help the lower lvl people that want to not raid and not get raided.

Maruse

Maruse
  • 816 posts

I'm sorry but i do not see any point in putting this in the game at all.

Dallas

Dallas
  • 1,454 posts

So, wouldn't everyone find out about it within a week?

Zingman

Zingman
  • 3,180 posts

When the White Flag was first proposed it was an actual building in your compound.

But then books were invented.  The White Flag as a book, was simpler, and was a more elegant way to implement an opt out of raiding.   It also (as a book) provides a effect to dissuade someone from using it (that you'll be limited to 3 mission effecting books only).

It sounds to me like you're trying to put forward an idea of a raiding opt out that wouldn't cost fuel -- or use up a book slot.   Neither one of those reasons are good in my honest opinion.  Using/acquiring the White Flag should have "real" costs.  

Edited by Zingman, 09 May 2014 - 07:32 PM.

Harpago

Harpago
  • 1,763 posts

Some interesting comments there before the inclusion of the White Flag, which mercifully were ignored. PvP raiding is one of the inevitable bugbears and white elephants of the game, whose existence gives it edge and uncertainty, but inevitably falls victim to some raiders who get carried away on the same people and raid them constantly, subsequently ruining their game experience. Your defence doesn't even need to suck and you may have a formidable armament of guns; some people are simply good at understanding the game's mechanics, can exploit any defence, and for no other way of putting it, bully the same unfortunate players. One of my accounts had this recently, the same guy day after day whatever I did. He was seemingly psychic as well, this account is a non raiding account and just to stretch my legs went for a raid. He hit me on the four hour return. How he knew they were gone I will never know.

Anyway, as i'm in danger of wondering off on a long winded completely irrelevant ramble, I equipped a white flag and it can return to being my spare account and their somewhat leisurely life in the Dead Zone.

I was thinking about the concept of an alternative White Flag recently. In Northwood East at the very bottom of the map there are a couple of residences right at the bottom edge of the map, one of which I happened to do the other day for some reason, one of which is quite clearly designed as a compound, sort of inside an apartment. There are beds and bunks here and there, it is clearly where some survivors hung out. So why not use such a hidden refuge as an alternative compound? I did a screen capture and everything would fit roughly, the only obvious bugbears would be the vegtable garden and water collector, though alternative concepts could be created. 

Water collector: A pipe terminal where you've hooked up to, and built, and unseen roof collector and roof storage tank or something.

Vegetable garden: Window boxes perhaps.

Given the original map is a mission local, the infected are still going to get in, so you'll still get hit by the zeds, it will just be a little different.

Just thinking out aloud, it would obviously be a completely different concept for the game and dare I say a bit of an undertaking for Con to pull off, but would be interesting. 

There's an excellent book I currently have lurking around my monitor, 'The Zombie Survival Guide,' by Max Brooks. A damn good read, cheek it out. But one concept he bangs on about in the book is destroy the stair case, which is something i've never quite figured out with the existing compound in the first place. It's all on ground level.

I ramble, but i'll post this and run. Be interesting to hear what any of you think, I admit it's got little to do with the original post, but meh :)

Edit: This was the apartment I was on about, though I haven't shopped anything in as i'm tired:

Apartment-Compound_zps2090434b.jpg

Edited by Harpago, 09 May 2014 - 08:56 PM.

PeterTehDumb

PeterTehDumb
  • 1,634 posts

When the White Flag was first proposed it was an actual building in your compound.

Eh, a white flag as a decoration would sound nice for once.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raids, White flag